Deore DX hub with Hyperglide C cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jb, May 16, 2003.

  1. Jb

    Jb Guest

    I'm installing a 7 spd. Hyperglide C cassette on a Deore DX rear hub.There is play in the second cog
    after I tighten the lockring. Any tips to cure it? Thanks, JB

    Tags:

  2. JB wrote:

    > I'm installing a 7 spd. Hyperglide C cassette on a Deore DX rear hub.There is play in the second
    > cog after I tighten the lockring. Any tips to cure it? Thanks, JB
    the 'C' cogs have an incomplete spline, htey don't go on as far as the older ones. 2 choices, get an
    old style small cog, or put a 1mm spacer behind the cog set.

  3. JB wrote:

    >> I'm installing a 7 spd. Hyperglide C cassette on a Deore DX rear hub.There is play in the second
    >> cog after I tighten the lockring. Any tips to cure it?

    >James Connell wrote:

    > the 'C' cogs have an incomplete spline, htey don't go on as far as the older ones. 2 choices, get
    > an old style small cog, or put a 1mm spacer behind the cog set.

    Actually the only problematical cog is the 11. Another fix, which I prefer, is to grind a bevel on
    the outside edge of the Freehub body.

    See my Shimano Cassette article for details on this:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec

    Sheldon "It Goes To Eleven!" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    | All the world's a stage and most of us | are desperately unrehearsed. | --Sean O'Casey |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    The HG Compact cassette has a lip on the 11t cog, which prevents it from securing against the rest
    of the cogs (because the older Deore DX Freehub body wasn't designed with that small a cog in mind.)
    You can put a thin washer behind the cassette to cure the looseness of the inner cogs.

  5. Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > JB wrote:
    >

    >>> I'm installing a 7 spd. Hyperglide C cassette on a Deore DX rear hub.There is play in the second
    >>> cog after I tighten the lockring. Any tips to cure it?
    >

    >> James Connell wrote:
    >

    >> the 'C' cogs have an incomplete spline, htey don't go on as far as the older ones. 2 choices, get
    >> an old style small cog, or put a 1mm spacer behind the cog set.
    >

    > Actually the only problematical cog is the 11. Another fix, which I prefer, is to grind a bevel on
    > the outside edge of the Freehub body.
    >
    > See my Shimano Cassette article for details on this:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec
    >
    > Sheldon "It Goes To Eleven!" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    > | All the world's a stage and most of us | are desperately unrehearsed. | --Sean O'Casey |
    > +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    yes, i left off the "spline, 'on the small cog'" FWIW, i see liability issues with modifing a
    customers cog carrier.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm installing a 7 spd. Hyperglide C cassette on a Deore DX rear hub.There is play in the second
    > cog after I tighten the lockring. Any tips to cure it?

    Your old cassette started with a 12, but your new one starts at 11, right? Add a spacer behind the
    low gear to take up the extra space. If you want to know why, look carefully at the splines of your
    eleven - they are truncated halfway through.