Deore DX or XT whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dante Catoni, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and XT?
    According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why don't
    canti levers work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?

    Thanks Dante

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:S%[email protected]...
    | I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and
    | XT? According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why
    | don't canti levers work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?

    In the early 90's, DX was a level that sat between LX and XT when XT was the top drawer. It is
    roughly analogous to XT today. It was very close to XT Level, and the shifter pods seem to be
    identical (if there is any difference, it is in materials, as the internals are just alike) I have
    many sets of the thumb shifters, and the only difference there is a steel band around the handlebar
    instead of an alloy clamp. Some of the earlier "DX" level parts (like the thumbies) only said
    "Deore" on them. Around 92 or 3ish, they discontinued the level, and brought the name back around 97
    or 8 with the introduction of the DX 636 spd pedal, followed by a host of other products (like a V
    brake that was nothing but an LX brake painted red!)

    Actually, the DX read derailleur, though lacking the ceramic bushings of the XT, is otherwise
    identical and was the best looking of the line. It was all polished aluminum with a narrow dark gray
    label on the parallelogram. Both of mine have been upgraded to XT pulleys on top, and alloy,
    cartridge bearings on the bottom.

    Cantilever brakes have a different leverage ration than V-brakes. The V-levers move more cable per
    lever pull than the old ones. You can tell the difference by comparing the distance between the
    hinge point and the cable attachment. V levers are much further away. Using old style levers with Vs
    will feel mushy and lock up the wheel to easily - no modulation at all. Using V levers with cantis
    will feel like a rock, with little power in them. Specialized mistakenly installed V levers on a BMX
    bike with U-brakes (using the old leverage ratios) The kids on that bike couldn't stop and we ended
    up swapping the whole lot out for Odyssey Triggers.

    Some current brake levers, like the Avis, have a way to move the cable attachment, making them
    useful for both types of brakes. I haven't seen them in a while, but the LX, XT and XTR levers had
    this feature also, but under another name. Still, it's likely best to check around for some old
    stock. Most venders I know still had plenty. Granted, if you're going to buy levers and can afford
    it, go ahead and move up to Vs (unless the rear cable routing makes it difficult like my 94
    Specialized!)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/5/2003

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > | I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and
    > | XT? According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why
    > | don't canti
    levers
    > | work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?
    >
    > In the early 90's, DX was a level that sat between LX and XT when XT was
    the
    > top drawer. <snip The Answer>

    Binch, that was such a complete answer to the question, I'm afraid you have killed this thread for
    further conversation. Copy and paste that into a FAQ somewhere!

    -John Morgan

  4. rdorsch

    rdorsch New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2003

    Where are they for sale? Mine is broken and I urgently need one....Please let me ([email protected]) know.

    Thanks,
    Rainer