Deore DX or XT whats the difference?

Dante Catoni

Guest
I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and XT?
According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why don't
canti levers work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?

Thanks Dante

"Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:S%[email protected]...
| I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and
| XT? According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why
| don't canti levers work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?

In the early 90's, DX was a level that sat between LX and XT when XT was the top drawer. It is
roughly analogous to XT today. It was very close to XT Level, and the shifter pods seem to be
identical (if there is any difference, it is in materials, as the internals are just alike) I have
many sets of the thumb shifters, and the only difference there is a steel band around the handlebar
instead of an alloy clamp. Some of the earlier "DX" level parts (like the thumbies) only said
"Deore" on them. Around 92 or 3ish, they discontinued the level, and brought the name back around 97
or 8 with the introduction of the DX 636 spd pedal, followed by a host of other products (like a V
brake that was nothing but an LX brake painted red!)

Actually, the DX read derailleur, though lacking the ceramic bushings of the XT, is otherwise
identical and was the best looking of the line. It was all polished aluminum with a narrow dark gray
label on the parallelogram. Both of mine have been upgraded to XT pulleys on top, and alloy,
cartridge bearings on the bottom.

Cantilever brakes have a different leverage ration than V-brakes. The V-levers move more cable per
lever pull than the old ones. You can tell the difference by comparing the distance between the
hinge point and the cable attachment. V levers are much further away. Using old style levers with Vs
will feel mushy and lock up the wheel to easily - no modulation at all. Using V levers with cantis
will feel like a rock, with little power in them. Specialized mistakenly installed V levers on a BMX
bike with U-brakes (using the old leverage ratios) The kids on that bike couldn't stop and we ended
up swapping the whole lot out for Odyssey Triggers.

Some current brake levers, like the Avis, have a way to move the cable attachment, making them
useful for both types of brakes. I haven't seen them in a while, but the LX, XT and XTR levers had
this feature also, but under another name. Still, it's likely best to check around for some old
stock. Most venders I know still had plenty. Granted, if you're going to buy levers and can afford
it, go ahead and move up to Vs (unless the rear cable routing makes it difficult like my 94
Specialized!)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 6/5/2003

> | I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and
> | XT? According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why
> | don't canti
levers
> | work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?
>
> In the early 90's, DX was a level that sat between LX and XT when XT was
the
> top drawer. <snip The Answer>

Binch, that was such a complete answer to the question, I'm afraid you have killed this thread for
further conversation. Copy and paste that into a FAQ somewhere!

-John Morgan

Originally posted by Dante Catoni
I saw some Deore DX 7 speed Rapidfire shifters for sale. Whats the difference between the DX and XT?
According to Shimanos web site DX is currently just for BMX. BTW I do still have cantis. Why don't
canti levers work with V-brakes? Do Vs need more travel?

Thanks Dante

Where are they for sale? Mine is broken and I urgently need one....Please let me ([email protected]) know.

Thanks,
Rainer