Deore octalink or new LX crankset?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Solanog, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Solanog

Solanog New Member

What are the differences of those? Is the Deore Octalink and old model and the new one is the same system as the new LX, XT (hollow axle)? What's the advantage of one over the other besides maybe weight? Durability?
    My Tru Vativ crankset is worn and I have problems shifting and riding (chain gets messed in the chainrings gets like stuck doesn't run freely), cassette is new and so is the chain, I switched from 8 to 9 speeds after I broke the shifters, so I made the investment of new chain and new cassette, besides the shifters which anyways I had to buy. Could this change of chain be the cause or crankset is truly worn (at least the smaller and medim which are the ones that give me more problems).
    Thanks

Tags:

2. krayzie

krayzie New Member

The Deore line of cranks all employs the Octalink and Hollowtech technologies. You can look them up on the Shimano Europe site (http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml). I personally have the cheapest Deore crank (FC-M440) and it has been very durable (3 yrs and running), just a tad heavier than the rest, square tapered instead of splined and no fancy Deore Octalink Hollowtech logos on it, just a huge Shimano logo. I think you're sacrificing durability for weight-saving as you move up the line from Deore to LX to XT to XTR, but then again the higher line-up are also manufacturered with better components and finishings, the lower line-up will last longer.

Check your derailleurs and cables to make sure they're dialed in correctly, take it to the shop if you have to. Out of the entire group the crankset is probably the most expensive piece.

3. Solanog

Solanog New Member

I took it to the shop and they checked it, it is a little worn and that could be the combination of the new chain with a little worn crankset, maybe I should let it set a little and problems will go or get the new crankset :(
    Also the old type LX was available and seemed more atractive than the new one (price) and also the bottom bracket is changeable on the new one is the bracket gets worn then a whole new crankset should be bought.
    I don't care about weight, I think that I will ride the same with 100gr -200gr more, I care more about durability .

4. William Henry

William Henry New Member

I think that you should go with the LX because I have bought one of the XTR ones that is hollow with the external berings and I think that it is one of the best cranksets I have every seen

5. willtsmith

willtsmith New Member

Can you replace the chainrings or are they welded on. If so, just replace the chainrings if the bottom bracket is still performing.

Otherwise, Shimano is the inexpensive, high performing way to go. I have their generic Deore Octalink crankset and it's performing GREAT in my opinion.

At 270 lbs, I care a LOT more about durability than weight. I can sweat out 100g in my first 5 minutes of riding.

6. Solanog

Solanog New Member

They are not interchangeable, eventhough the small one has the bolt holes in the same position as the Shimanos, but mine is kind of riveted instead of screwed, so my options are the Deore plus the bottom bracket since mine is square and not octalink as the new Deore, or the new LX (XT and XTR are too expensive and I don't think I deserve it ;) ).

7. Solanog

Solanog New Member

Yesterday I got my new crankset, a new LX, this thing is very light and looks cool, I hope it lasts. The only thing that bothers me is that I don't have the tools to install it by myself so I will need to take the bycicle to the shop, other than that things look great :cool: My old set was 42 this one is 44. I think I'll be able to take a ride on Sunday, I have not had time to take it to the shop for proper installation.