Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Deore XT 2004 rear brake disc splines

Started by Doug Goncz · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,188 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 November 2003
Last activity
21 November 2003
Original author
Doug Goncz
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,188
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello.

    Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear hub's left side the exact same
    as the cassette splines on the right, or perhaps the same as _some_ still available cassette?

    I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd fit a 32 tooth cog and some
    spacer bits to the disc brake side to drive the motor located in the frame triangle. My current
    version, version 1, uses a flip-flop hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

    Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a free hub? Yes, I could buy a
    single speed disc cog and bore it out, then cut the splines or drill the holes. Some off the shelf
    way, hopefully, or a real simple, cheap way.

    Yours,

    Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

    1100 original posts at: groups.google.comgroups

  2. Doug Goncz said:

    Hello.

    Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear hub's left side the exact
    same as the cassette splines on the right, or perhaps the same as _some_ still available cassette?

    I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd fit a 32 tooth cog and some
    spacer bits to the disc brake side to drive the motor located in the frame triangle. My current
    version, version 1, uses a flip-flop hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

    Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a free hub? Yes, I could buy a
    single speed disc cog and bore it out, then cut the splines or drill the holes. Some off the shelf
    way, hopefully, or a real simple, cheap way.

    I'm not quite sure I understand your question but I can say that I use the same splined tool to
    tighten the lockring on my XTR discs and to remove the cassette on the right side. Please note that
    first you slap the disc onto the splines of the hub, then you screw a lockring on top to hold it in
    place. This lockring is splined in the center so that you can insert the casette removal tool into
    it for tightening torque.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  3. [email hidden] ( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello.

    Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear hub's left side the exact
    same as the cassette splines on the right, or perhaps the same as _some_ still available cassette?

    For this hub:
    shimano-europe.comcontent prodx.phtml

    ???

    No. No bicycle cog fits that spline.

    Quoted message said:

    I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd fit a 32 tooth cog and some
    spacer bits to the disc brake side to drive the motor located in the frame triangle. My current
    version, version 1, uses a flip-flop hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

    Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a free hub? Yes, I could buy a
    single speed disc cog and bore it out, then cut the splines or drill the holes. Some off the shelf
    way, hopefully, or a real simple, cheap way.

    Why not use a tandem freehub, which is threaded on the left side, and make a threaded adapter from
    the hub to sprocket? This is how some of the Electrathon cars adapt larger sprockets (bicycle
    chainring size) to bicycle wheels. Take a look at blueskydsn.comproducts.html - the "M6
    Sprocket Adaptors".

    Jeff

  4. Quoted message said:

    From: [email hidden] (Jeff Wills)

    Quoted message said:

    Take a look at blueskydsn.comproducts.html - the "M6 Sprocket Adaptors".

    Cool! That's almost exactly what I already use.

    I use a cheap flip-flop freewheel/track hub from Sheldon Brown (Sovos?). The right side is a 7 speed
    Sachs freewheel 13-32. In a week it will be a Hyperglide 11-34.

    The left side is a 110 mm steel BMX spider drilled to 1 5/16 and tapped to 1
    3/8 - 24, with a bottom bracket lock ring brazed on. It has 48 T.

    For Version 3, the base bike is a Browning Automatic Transmission Bicycle. This unique transmission
    mounts to a freehub. So a freehub is required, and I thought I could put a 34 T cog on the left
    side splines.

    I think it more likely I'll get another spider, drill it to whatever, and mount it on the disc brake
    position with the six cap screws. That'll get Version 3 up and running.

    Do any of you know the bore of the disc brake? Is it 1 3/8 or less by 1/16 inch increments? I have
    the Unibit for that, purchased for the threaded spider.

    By the way, I never tried it, but with my 48/38/28 front and 48 rear flipped around, the chain was
    tight on the 38-48 combination, I think it was, and I could have had the world's lowest geared track
    bike. Maybe I did try it.....

    What exactly is a tandem freehub? Why do they thread the left side? Is it the same as a
    flip-flop hub?

    Yours,

    Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

    1100 original posts at: groups.google.comgroups

  5. [email hidden] ( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    What exactly is a tandem freehub? Why do they thread the left side? Is it the same as a
    flip-flop hub?

    Tandem hubs have had hub brakes for ages. The left-side threads are for a drum brake such as the
    Arai. In olden days, they were simply threaded on both sides: right side for freewheel, left side
    for brake. Now Shimano has gone all fancy-schmancy and put a cassette body on the right. :-)

    A flip-flop hub is very similar, but it's generally set up with similar spacing on both sides so the
    chainline comes out right. A tandem hub is never flipped over, so the spacing doesn't have to be
    symmetrical.

    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.