department of useless trivia

Gary

Guest
The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
initials!

Gary wrote:
> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
> initials!

How vast is this conspiracy?

Gary wrote:
> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
> initials!

As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of the
Vuelta (at least since 1935).

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Gary wrote:
>> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the
>> same initials!

> As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of
> the Vuelta (at least since 1935).

Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
isn't). The probability of selecting 2 random individuals with the same
initials in the correct order is 1/(nPr) = 1/[26!/(26-2)!] = 1/600.
This is smaller than the generally accepted 1/400 level of significance.
I smell a conspiracy.

Phil H

Gary wrote:
> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
> initials!

And we have two Kazakhs on the podium. The only other time any Kazakh
has reached a GT podium was when Vinokourov took 3rd place in the TdF in
2003.

"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>> Gary wrote:
>>> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
>>> initials!

>> As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of the
>> Vuelta (at least since 1935).

> Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
> isn't). The probability of selecting 2 random individuals with the same
> initials in the correct order is 1/(nPr) = 1/[26!/(26-2)!] = 1/600.
> This is smaller than the generally accepted 1/400 level of significance. I
> smell a conspiracy.

There must be a conspiracy, because the similarity is completely
"artificial", as **** Pound would say. In Kazachstan Vinokourov's initials
are AB.

Benjo

Phil Holman wrote:

> Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
> isn't). The probability of <snip>

Dumbass -

Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Phil Holman wrote:
>>
>> Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
>> isn't). The probability of <snip>

> Dumbass -
>
> Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?

Chicks dig it.

> Phil Holman wrote:
>>
>> Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which
>> there
>> isn't). The probability of <snip>

> Dumbass -
>

> Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

Dumbass,

In this particular case, the letter V is somewhat less common than other
letters but the result is the same. The low probability makes for an
unusual coincidence. You could have at least picked up on the math
error. Try harder next time.

Phil H

"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote in message

> Dumbass,
>
> In this particular case, the letter V is somewhat less common than other
> letters but the result is the same. The low probability makes for an
> unusual coincidence. You could have at least picked up on the math error.
> Try harder next time.

Are you sure the Kazhak alphabet has 26 letters? (I don't know, but the
Russian has something like 33 I think)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>

> > Dumbass,
> >
> > In this particular case, the letter V is somewhat less common than other
> > letters but the result is the same. The low probability makes for an
> > unusual coincidence. You could have at least picked up on the math error.
> > Try harder next time.

> Are you sure the Kazhak alphabet has 26 letters? (I don't know, but the
> Russian has something like 33 I think)

Thirty-two, but at least three cannot be an initial letter.

--
Michael Press

Robert Chung wrote:
> Chicks dig it.

Paris Hilton digs probability theory. It helps her work out the
probability of getting laid on any given day (or night).

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

| "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| >
| > "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message

| >> As far as I can see, that has not happened before in the history of the
| >> Vuelta (at least since 1935).
| >
| > Assuming equal distribution of initials in the population (which there
| > isn't). The probability of selecting 2 random individuals with the same
| > initials in the correct order is 1/(nPr) = 1/[26!/(26-2)!] = 1/600.
| > This is smaller than the generally accepted 1/400 level of significance.
| > smell a conspiracy.
|

| There must be a conspiracy, because the similarity is completely
| "artificial", as **** Pound would say. In Kazachstan Vinokourov's initials
| are AB.
|
| Benjo

As usual, Benjo inject some calm into the discussion before things get out
of hand. Good to know there's no initial coincidence between Alexandre
Vinokourov (AV/B) and Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (AV/B).

trg wrote:
> As usual, Benjo inject some calm into the discussion before things get out
> of hand. Good to know there's no initial coincidence between Alexandre
> Vinokourov (AV/B) and Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (AV/B).

Surely rbr's own Alexandre Dumas must have been there too.

in message <[email protected]>, Donald Munro
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>> Why do a probability calc if the initial assumption is false?

> Robert Chung wrote:
>> Chicks dig it.

> Paris Hilton digs probability theory. It helps her work out the
> probability of getting laid on any given day (or night).

Doesn't that tend to one if
(a) you're Paris Hilton and
(b) there's a pair of trousers in the room?

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke

benjo maso wrote:

> There must be a conspiracy, because the similarity is completely
> "artificial", as **** Pound would say. In Kazachstan Vinokourov's initials
> are AB.

"B"_cyrillic = "V"_latin

pronunciation ("V"_castillian) =~ pronunciation ( "B"_english )

Make of it what you will...

Yes, but for how long?

-ilan

Gary wrote:
> The first and second place finishers in this year's Vuelta have the same
> initials!

At least until all the appeals are exhausted.

Phil H

news:[email protected]...