Depaving?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:02:22 +1100, TimC wrote:

    > [1] We don't care about cars already on the road. You never have to
    > get them roadworthied, so you see cars driving around all the time
    > with headlights missing, etc. But any cars coming into our state, and
    > changing hands at the same time, have to be roadworthied.

    I thought you had regular inspections of all cars, which is why all the
    bombs are here in SA :)

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-21, Michael Warner (aka Bruce)
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:02:22 +1100, TimC wrote:
    >
    >> [1] We don't care about cars already on the road. You never have to
    >> get them roadworthied, so you see cars driving around all the time
    >> with headlights missing, etc. But any cars coming into our state, and
    >> changing hands at the same time, have to be roadworthied.

    > I thought you had regular inspections of all cars, which is why all the
    > bombs are here in SA :)

    Nope. NSW has yearly inspections, but my car passed that every year.

    In Melbourne though, they check chassis integrity. Who cares if the
    chassis was twisted[1], and it was liable to break up in the middle of
    a drive? Doesn't sound major to me!

    [1] The last accident it had been in, short of very little bings that
    resulted in pushed in headlights, was more than a decade ago before we
    bought it. It survived every inspection until it came back to
    Victoria.

    --
    TimC
    "On a clear disk, you can seek forever..."

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2005-12-21, Michael Warner (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:02:22 +1100, TimC wrote:
    >>

    >>>[1] We don't care about cars already on the road. You never have to
    >>>get them roadworthied, so you see cars driving around all the time
    >>>with headlights missing, etc. But any cars coming into our state, and
    >>>changing hands at the same time, have to be roadworthied.

    >>I thought you had regular inspections of all cars, which is why all the
    >>bombs are here in SA :)

    > Nope. NSW has yearly inspections, but my car passed that every year.
    >
    > In Melbourne though, they check chassis integrity. Who cares if the
    > chassis was twisted[1], and it was liable to break up in the middle of
    > a drive? Doesn't sound major to me!
    >
    > [1] The last accident it had been in, short of very little bings that
    > resulted in pushed in headlights, was more than a decade ago before we
    > bought it. It survived every inspection until it came back to
    > Victoria.

    Hmmmmmmmm

    What you need tim is someone wot knows someone who does roadworthies :)

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-21, dave (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> Nope. NSW has yearly inspections, but my car passed that every year.
    >>
    >> In Melbourne though, they check chassis integrity. Who cares if the
    >> chassis was twisted[1], and it was liable to break up in the middle of
    >> a drive? Doesn't sound major to me!
    >>
    >> [1] The last accident it had been in, short of very little bings that
    >> resulted in pushed in headlights, was more than a decade ago before we
    >> bought it. It survived every inspection until it came back to
    >> Victoria.
    >>

    > Hmmmmmmmm
    >
    > What you need tim is someone wot knows someone who does roadworthies :)

    Yeah, I could have done that. I could also have reregistered it at
    mum's place in NSW, or gotten her to come down and say she was moving
    to Melbourne, so it wouldn't change hands.

    Of course, now I'd need to find out which scrap metal people it went
    to, and ask for it back before persuing further :)

    Of course, it was really the excuse I was looking for to just ditch
    the stupid thing and use my bike fulltime. Have only had a handful of
    occasions since then that I could have done with a car -- for
    instance, getting a new vaccuum cleaner home. Sure, I have heard of
    people strapping them to panniers, but... feh.

    --
    TimC
    That [Tim-Tam] would be the Classic. Not to be confused with the

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2005-12-21, dave (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>TimC wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nope. NSW has yearly inspections, but my car passed that every year.
    >>>
    >>>In Melbourne though, they check chassis integrity. Who cares if the
    >>>chassis was twisted[1], and it was liable to break up in the middle of
    >>>a drive? Doesn't sound major to me!
    >>>
    >>>[1] The last accident it had been in, short of very little bings that
    >>>resulted in pushed in headlights, was more than a decade ago before we
    >>>bought it. It survived every inspection until it came back to
    >>>Victoria.
    >>>

    >>Hmmmmmmmm
    >>
    >>What you need tim is someone wot knows someone who does roadworthies :)

    > Yeah, I could have done that. I could also have reregistered it at
    > mum's place in NSW, or gotten her to come down and say she was moving
    > to Melbourne, so it wouldn't change hands.
    >
    > Of course, now I'd need to find out which scrap metal people it went
    > to, and ask for it back before persuing further :)
    >

    > Of course, it was really the excuse I was looking for to just ditch
    > the stupid thing and use my bike fulltime. Have only had a handful of
    > occasions since then that I could have done with a car -- for
    > instance, getting a new vaccuum cleaner home. Sure, I have heard of
    > people strapping them to panniers, but... feh.

    Hmmmm I moved a lounge suite on a motorbike once

    I started my car last about 11 months ago. It started first turn.
    Probably got a flat battery now :(

  6. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    me thinks, worldwide the average cost of bikes would be no where near the cost of motorised scooters and with the number of bikes, the av cost being (say, my guesstimate here no head for stats to do this one, unless someone (space cadet maybe?) knows the $figure) $200 AU, they should romp it in as lowest cost, fastest av speed and still above all, as we all know anyway, the most efficient mechanised form of transport man has...

    but see this month's BYCLING Mag (US)-Rodale Publishing) great article on the Invisible bicycles of LA, av cost $79 US and the ONLY form of transport low cost workers can afford and rely on as their lifeblood transport and a great push for manufacturers to make a commuter bike for around $100 rather than a stumpjumper the mass stores sell over there ( and here).

    Bring in the Flying Pidgeon, we would all have a reliable (somewhat heavy), but definite competitor to the Car, just ask most bike riding Chinese in rural and outer urban China ( except Beijing pre Olympics where they want the car to rule) what they use for transport every day?....Oh I digress....time to walk to the kitchen and fuel up my engine for tonights Southern Vets at Sandown, come one come all...Santa might be there too!

  7. zog

    zog Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > Of course, it was really the excuse I was looking for to just ditch
    > the stupid thing and use my bike fulltime. Have only had a handful of
    > occasions since then that I could have done with a car -- for
    > instance, getting a new vaccuum cleaner home. Sure, I have heard of
    > people strapping them to panniers, but... feh.

    two words "bike trailer" :)

    my "Bob" trailer can cart two cases of beer or a large box of oranges, a
    vacuum cleaner would be no problem.

  8. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Theo, come for a ride on my not so pronto Bug Pronto!

    Lotte

  9. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Nice!!

    We've just bought another house closer to town, and I plan to build up a bit of a 'shop bike' to use for short trips to the shops etc. I'm thinking milk crate on the back etc - really ugly stuff! It would save driving to the shops and looking for a park. A trailer would be cool, but nothing too flash - those kiddy ones are around the $600 mark and that's just too expensive...

    That said, I've been carting Christmas presents home on my scooter all week. The other day I had the 'boot' full of books, a bag full of wrapping stuff hanging from the hook under the bars and my backpack full of stuff as well. No wonder the poor thing stopped on the highway (lucky it started again!).

  10. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    LotteBum wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >> Scooters and small motorcycles, with a purchase cost of between $2000
    >> and $4000, come out best.

    > Theo, come for a ride on my not so pronto Bug Pronto!

    That looks cool. Is that picture of the blonde on the brochure you? :)

    Theo

  11. "TimC" wrote:

    > Of course, it was really the excuse I was looking for to just ditch
    > the stupid thing and use my bike fulltime. Have only had a handful of
    > occasions since then that I could have done with a car -- for
    > instance, getting a new vaccuum cleaner home. Sure, I have heard of
    > people strapping them to panniers, but... feh.

    Tim, to make that an easy task, one thing - BOB trailer. Much cheaper than a
    car. Moving a new washing machine in, on the other hand, is a bit beyond it.

    Cheers
    Peter

  12. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    rooman wrote:

    > me thinks, worldwide the average cost of bikes would be no where near
    > the cost of motorised scooters and with the number of bikes, the av
    > cost being (say, my guesstimate here no head for stats to do this one,
    > unless someone (space cadet maybe?) knows the $figure) $200 AU, they
    > should romp it in as lowest cost, fastest av speed and still above
    > all, as we all know anyway, the most efficient mechanised form of
    > transport man has...

    But of little or no use for someone like me who lives 55 kms from work (by
    choice, of course). Running costs of a small motorcycle are quite low and
    the capital cost of a $4000 bike you keep for ten years is only about $2000,
    or $200 per year. Where the cyclist loses is in the time required to get
    anywhere. The motorised vehicle will, in most instances other than jammed
    traffic, arrive in less than half the time. My 55 km commute by motor is
    45-50 mins, by bicycle it would be two hours or more each way and require a
    much higher level of fitness than I have currently.

    I did all the maths twenty years ago in response to an article in a cycling
    magazine which said the cycle was the fastest effective vehicle and, to my
    surprise, they published the whole two pages of my crap including my
    spreadsheets. They even agreed with my conclusions which was that a
    125-250cc motorcycle had the quickest effective speed. With the recent
    explosion of small scooters, I would think they are probably the current
    winners.

    Theo

  13. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Yes, that's me - extensively airbrushed and modified.

    Lotte

  14. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    LotteBum wrote:
    <snip>
    > We've just bought another house closer to town, and I plan to build up
    > a bit of a 'shop bike' to use for short trips to the shops etc. I'm
    > thinking milk crate on the back etc - really ugly stuff! It would save
    > driving to the shops and looking for a park. A trailer would be cool,
    > but nothing too flash - those kiddy ones are around the $600 mark and
    > that's just too expensive...

    <snip>

    I'm looking for a cheap, horrible bike to do this to. When's hard
    rubbish pickup happening - it's been too long!

    Tam

  16. "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > But of little or no use for someone like me who lives 55 kms from work (by
    > choice, of course).

    Gotta say that's an interesting choice to make. I'm sure you have valid
    reasons for making it.

    At some time in the future, (when petrol breaks through the $5 barrier?) you
    may be forced to reconsider the wisdom and sustainability of such a choice.

    Cheers
    Peter

  17. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Stuart Lamble wrote:
    > On 2005-12-20, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > For the commuting motorcyclist, the numbers tend to work out much better
    > > than they do for cars. If the biker chooses the bike properly!

    > Oh, definitely. I think the ultimate point that the whole philosophy is
    > making is: what is your decision in transport costing you, and is it
    > worth that cost? For example, I drove my car in today, because I'm going
    > diving this evening: it's a bit hard to take dive gear (weight belt and
    > all, although I didn't have tanks this morning) on a train, bus, or
    > bicycle. In this instance, the extra cost of driving in is balanced out
    > by the sheer impossibility of doing what I'm planning on doing any other
    > way.

    You can do it with a motorcycle - I have a nifty big backpack that all
    my dive gear fits in, including weights (resting on the pillion seat),
    and a small tank. It's not much chop if I want to take the twin
    100cf's though :) There's trailers for motorbikes too, but IMO they
    suck, better off hiring a car for a day or car-sharing with a friend.

  18. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Peter Signorini wrote:
    > "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> But of little or no use for someone like me who lives 55 kms from
    >> work (by choice, of course).

    > Gotta say that's an interesting choice to make. I'm sure you have
    > valid reasons for making it.

    We went from living on a 725 metre block on a street where we did not know
    our neighbours and 27,000 cars passed our front door every day, to a 20,000
    metre block (5 acre) where we know all of our neighbours and are involved in
    the community and 27 cars pass our front door every day. Mind you the front
    door is 75 metres from the roadway. We get to eat fresh eggs from our chooks
    and grow a few fresh vegies as well. And the fruit trees are starting to
    ....... fruit.

    > At some time in the future, (when petrol breaks through the $5
    > barrier?) you may be forced to reconsider the wisdom and
    > sustainability of such a choice.

    Maybe. I'm currently telecommuting two days a week and will up that to three
    days sometime next year. In the meantime I'm driving a company car with
    company petrol in the tank.

    Theo

  19. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > LotteBum wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > We've just bought another house closer to town, and I plan to build up
    > > a bit of a 'shop bike' to use for short trips to the shops etc. I'm
    > > thinking milk crate on the back etc - really ugly stuff! It would save
    > > driving to the shops and looking for a park. A trailer would be cool,
    > > but nothing too flash - those kiddy ones are around the $600 mark and
    > > that's just too expensive...

    > <snip>
    >
    > I'm looking for a cheap, horrible bike to do this to. When's hard
    > rubbish pickup happening - it's been too long!

    posty (push)bike.

    I want one too ... at the moment I walk to the stupormarket with a
    rucksack, but that's 20 mins each way, I'd ride it in 5 :)

  20. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    You could have solved your problem by moving to a quieter street and maybe even try to get to know your neighbours!

    And company petrol is great for the environment, isn't it?