Depo-Provera (Side Effects, Query) etc... (Fairly Long Posting)

Bronwyn Patrici

Guest
Hi There,

I'm posting this on behalf of my wife. We've been to see a Doctor and an Ob-Gyn and have not come up
with any conclusive results.

First the history:- My wife went onto the pill for contraceptive purposes. She started suffering
severe migraines, which we later linked to the pill. Although not initially the case, it appeared
that whilst taking the sugar pills the drop of eostragen caused the migraines. So she changed to the
mini-pill, Progestragen only tablets, with no apparent side effects. She was on these for about 3
months before changing to the Depo-provera. She is up to her 4th injection now.

Whilsts on the Depo (And the mini-pill) the migraines have been eliminated. I did notice that during
the first few days after the injection she is more moody and emotional.

Now for the problem. A few months ago she started experiencing bleeding after intercourse. Its it
not heavy bleeding but it is disturbing. We went to see the Doctor (Who performed a pap-smear), and
who referred us to a ObGyn. The ObGyn said (something along the lines of) because she is young (23
years) the cells of her vagina can be disturbed and that there was nothing to be concerned about.

That was about a month ago and the bleeding is still around.

Now my questions.
1. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
2. My wife is interested in knowing how people went getting off the Depo-Provera (There are some
rather horrible stories in the NG).
3. Has anyone else experienced migraines and have used a progestigin only contraceptive to fix it.
What happened if/when you came off it? Any comments from someone who uses a tri-phasic
contraceptive to avoid coming off oestragen 'cold-turkey'.
4. I feel that maybe its worth testing to see if going completely off all contraceptives will fix
all the above problems. Any comments?

Just for those who happen to find this Posting by searching. Here is a list of the 'side-effects'
and advantages that we've noticed: -
- Weight gain (~5Kg)
- Moodyness after injections. We have noticed however that there is less moodiness and dare I say
arguments compared to being on the pill.
- The bleeding problem I've described above
- My wife has NO periods at all. As a guy, I would think this is a good thing.

Please post replies to Newsgroups (And CC to email if possible). Remove (NOSPAM) from email address.

Cheers, Brendan

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bronwyn Patricia" <bp(NOSPAM)@antioch.org.au> wrote:

> Now my questions.
> 1. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I was on Depo for ten years and I rarely bled at all, and never intercourse. I was older when I
started it, though (27) and nullaparous.

>2. My wife is interested in knowing how people went getting off the
> Depo-Provera (There are some rather horrible stories in the NG).

My tubal ligation was scheduled about the time I was due for my next shot, so I skipped the shot. My
periods didn't resume for a year afterward, and when they did resume, they were as bad as they'd
ever been (so bad in fact I had an endometrial ablation to end them).

> 3. Has anyone else experienced migraines and have used a progestigin only contraceptive to fix
> it. What happened if/when you came off it? Any comments from someone who uses a tri-phasic
> contraceptive to avoid coming off oestragen 'cold-turkey'.

Yes, I have migraines and the Pill made them worse. Depo didn't lessen the number of migraines. I
chose non-hormonal therapy for mine (Elavil), which worked while I was on Depo. It is less effective
now, and I may be switched to Topomax.

> 4. I feel that maybe its worth testing to see if going completely off all contraceptives will
> fix all the above problems. Any comments?

An unwanted pregnancy (and a baby) will not help anything. As I mentioned, I am sterilized, so I do
not need to use any other contraception and I still have migraines which get worse with my cycle
(even though I no longer am able to menstruate, my hormones don't know the difference). It is
extremely common for women with migraines to experience a worsening of their migraines before and
during their periods each month. Going off hormonal contraceptives may worsen her problems, as may
the stress of using a less reliable form of birth control if a pregnancy is not desired.

--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bronwyn Patricia" <bp(NOSPAM)@antioch.org.au> wrote:

> Now my questions.
> 1. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I was on Depo for ten years and I rarely bled at all, and never intercourse. I was older when I
started it, though (27) and nullaparous.

>2. My wife is interested in knowing how people went getting off the
> Depo-Provera (There are some rather horrible stories in the NG).

My tubal ligation was scheduled about the time I was due for my next shot, so I skipped the shot. My
periods didn't resume for a year afterward, and when they did resume, they were as bad as they'd
ever been (so bad in fact I had an endometrial ablation to end them).

> 3. Has anyone else experienced migraines and have used a progestigin only contraceptive to fix
> it. What happened if/when you came off it? Any comments from someone who uses a tri-phasic
> contraceptive to avoid coming off oestragen 'cold-turkey'.

Yes, I have migraines and the Pill made them worse. Depo didn't lessen the number of migraines. I
chose non-hormonal therapy for mine (Elavil), which worked while I was on Depo. It is less effective
now, and I may be switched to Topomax.

> 4. I feel that maybe its worth testing to see if going completely off all contraceptives will
> fix all the above problems. Any comments?

An unwanted pregnancy (and a baby) will not help anything. As I mentioned, I am sterilized, so I do
not need to use any other contraception and I still have migraines which get worse with my cycle
(even though I no longer am able to menstruate, my hormones don't know the difference). It is
extremely common for women with migraines to experience a worsening of their migraines before and
during their periods each month. Going off hormonal contraceptives may worsen her problems, as may
the stress of using a less reliable form of birth control if a pregnancy is not desired.

--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

I had a lot of problems with the Depo when I took it last year. I had
amazing night sweats and I had a lot of bleeding as well. Mostly
spotting. I went to the Depo for the exact same symptoms as your
wife. Here's some info from Mayo Clinic:

Vaginal bleeding of various amounts may occur between your regular menstrual periods during the
first 3 months of use. This is not unusual and does not mean you should stop the medicine. This is
sometimes called spotting when the bleeding is slight, or breakthrough bleeding when it is heavier.

Side Effect:

More common

Changes in uterine bleeding (increased amounts of menstrual bleeding occurring at regular monthly
periods; lighter uterine bleeding between menstrual periods; heavier uterine bleeding between
regular monthly periods; or stopping of menstrual periods.

That said, I went off the Depo and I've finally found a birth control that I find heavenly so
far. It's called Seasonale. Not only do I not get headaches but you also only get your period 4
times per year!

http://www.seasonale.com/

Hope this helps! Lisa

server.bigpond.net.au>...