Depressed.

Ojatt

Guest
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last week
- 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems some
people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a bad
feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many years to
live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a burden.
Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as possible. I
have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

What you should be listening to is your doc and your body. DO NOT listen to a bunch of negativity
**** ... it'll only hurt you. I was dx'd in 1988 and I have complications. i know people with alot
worse than mine. Mind your diet and you could cheat this thing. I was on med for awhile, then diet
and exercise only. Don't borrow trouble. Learn, learn, learn facts and get good info. I am still
ticking and I am not a saint with my diet. I did lose a substancial amount of weight and I do get
more exercise than the average person, but not as much as a body builder. Diabetes is a disease than
is controlable and you don't have to go out painflly. Honey, get on with life ... I call olley olley
oxen free once a month and go out and at anything I want, within reason ... like I wouldn't eat a
whole German Chocolate Cake ... but we usually go to Applebee's and get whatever is the special that
night. Don't do this to yourself. Shake off the blues and get livin' ... it' alot better than that
big black hole ... take up dancin' , invite someone for dinner and a movie, go to the beach, a
concert, take a non-diabetes class ..something that is fun ... go backpacking, shoot pool, do some
volunteer work. Don;t you dare sit there and waste away !!!! Heck I am half blind ( can't be fixed )
and I hurt so bad most of the time, and have to force myself to go exercise, but I refuse to sit and
wait for the grim reaper to come and get me. Heck. I am going to run as fast as I can to get away
from him ... even if it hurts ! Don't beat yourself up, dear ! Rainbow

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:26:16 +0800, "ojatt" <[email protected]>
posted:

>Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
>week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
>some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
>bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many years
>to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a
>burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as
>possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Hi,

You know what? With your A1C I wouldn't be worried. Your sugars aren't really high enough to be able
to be doing damage like you are afraid of.

It sounds to me like you are suffering from some depression. I know that one. I have struggled with
depression all my life, and it is VERY common for people with chronic disease. Please go straight to
your doc and talk about meds. Meds aren't bad. Then let your fingers do the walking and find a good
counselor, or let your doc recommend one for you. Find someone you are really comfortable with.

Believe me, I've been on both extremes of depression, and even tried suicide once (almost made it -
my heart stopped, woke up in ICU with a breathing tube), and I know the feeling of that, and I also
know the...

GREAT RELIEF and joy you'll feel once you are on the right meds and have a good counselor. :)

I'll be praying for you. You can also email me. I'm at dazey(at)charter.net. Feel free, okay? BTDT.
It gets better, HONEST!!

Peace, Linda

Bushisms: "I've got very good relations with President Mubarak and Crown Prince Abdallah and the
King of Jordan, Gulf Coast countries." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 29, 2003

Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet /server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

In article <[email protected]>,
"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many
> years to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be
> a burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as
> possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

First off, by keeping your numbers within the normal range, you are most likely preventing or at
least delaying any complications. That's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Secondly, please get yourself to your doctor and describe how you're feeling. You sound clinically
depressed to me, and an antidepressant might really help you.

Priscilla, type 2 diabetic and treated depressive

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many
> years to live. But, I don't want
> spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a burden. Sometimes I feel my
> efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it
as
> soon as possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Depression is a serious matter. And it sounds to me like you have clinical depression rather than
just a case of the blues. You need to seek help from a psychologist, psychiatrist, or some sort of
counselor. If you do not have one already, you could try contacting your regular Dr. He or she may
be of some help or may be able to get you a referral. If you are feeling really bad at the moment,
then perhaps the best place for you to go is your local emergency room. Tell them you are feeling
suicidal. Depression can come about for many reasons. Sometimes it's a chemical imbalance. Sometimes
it's the side effect of a medication.

Yes, people do die from the complications of diabetes. But not everyone does. And every case of
diabetes is different. If you are doing all that is in your power to maintain control, then you've
lessened your chances of getting complications. Nobody wants to be a burden. Yet things can happen
that are beyond our control. It does us no good to dwell on them. I have complications. I'm still
alive. My life is not what it used to be. And it never will be. Things change. All I can do is take
things one day at a time and focus on the good things in my life. I have to focus on those things I
can do and not those things I can't.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:26:16 +0800, "ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
>week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
>some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
>bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many years
>to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a
>burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as
>possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Depression is often brought on by a diabetes diagnosis. Sometimes it was there long before, as in my
case. You have made a *huge* change for the good by lowering you A1c in such a short time. You
should be very proud of yourself, as it is QUITE the accomplishment! I have been working at this
(with meds) for a lot longer than you, and Your A1c is already better than mine. My family on both
sides, is loaded with T1 and T2 diabetics. Many lived long fruitful lives and spent a lot of their
later years enjoying their grandchildren. A *few* did live with complications, but they lived long
and prospered. Even fewer died early deaths. In their fifties. Now I am a bit older than you, (52)
so we are talking about relations of mine born in the 1870s, long before insulin was invented,
anywhere up to the 1930s. They had *none* of the medications, tests, techniques, treatments, help
with diet, and the new things being discovered daily, that we have. In my generation
( Ihave 100 plus first cousins in my extended family) Myself and one cousin (T1) have the disease.
Now, as to your depression. If you are not seeing anyone, please start immediately. The feelings
you are having, are not the thoughts a person who isn't depressed deeply, has. Take my word for
it. I have been plagued with thoughts like yours for most of my life. You are not alone.

Sleepy

-----------------
Eskimo/Inuit up!
-----------------
T2- 3/14/01

If you keep your numbers in the 5's and 6's you AREN'T going to die a "slow painful death" from DM.
You are more likely to get hit by an idiot driving an SUV with a phone glued to their yuppie ear.

dave

ojatt wrote:

> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many
> years to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be
> a burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as
> possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I just wondering? Am I starting to go into deep depression? Should I see
someone? I am not crazy. I am just tired of all this. At work my friends observed that I am not as
committed as I used to. Some say that I am not as passionate about most things anymore. The only
good thing I heard is that they say I look great after losing so much weight the last 6 months. But
I feel empty. I love to work hard for my goals. But now it seems fighting this disease is no more
one of them.

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many
> years to live. But, I don't want
> spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a burden. Sometimes I feel my
> efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it
as
> soon as possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. Thanks for the replies. I just wondering? Am I starting to go into deep depression? Should I
> see someone?

I would. Dunno if you are going into deep depression or not but seeing a professional is something I
would be doing. Good luck.

ojatt wrote:
> Hi. Thanks for the replies. I just wondering? Am I starting to go into deep depression? Should I
> see someone? I am not crazy. I am just tired of all this. At work my friends observed that I am
> not as committed as I used to. Some say that I am not as passionate about most things anymore. The
> only good thing I heard is that they say I look great after losing so much weight the last 6
> months. But I feel empty. I love to work hard for my goals. But now it seems fighting this disease
> is no more one of them.

I was in psychiatric hospital 5 times during the 1970's for depression, so I feel for you. "Deep
depression" I am not sure what you mean by that. Often causes loss of appetite, loss of muscle tone,
constipation, inability to sleep or wake fully. Very occasionally loss of consciousness. Self-
diagnosis not even doctors do, so don't try yourself, please.

Go to see your doctor asap is the best advice you can get.

Al.

When I was diagnosed I felt like that myslef. My answer to you is to use your depression to motivate
you to attack this disease with everything you've got at your disposal. Modify your lifestyle. Diet.
Excercise. More excercise. Keep on monitoring your vitals - eyes, HbA1c, kidneys, lipids, feet, etc.
There are few diseases where you have as much control over the outcome as you have with diabetes. As
in my case, many people here have reported that since making life changes - losing weight,
excercising, etc, they've been fitter and healthier than ever before.

Sadly, you'll have all sorts of "friends" and family give you narratives of diabetics losing their
toes and dying of all sorts of things. Well, that's friends for you! Laugh at them. Keep your HbA1c
low, and you'll probably outlive them all.

Keep on reading and posting in this newsgroup. Learn as much as you can about your disease.

Henry

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many
> years to live. But, I don't want
> spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a burden. Sometimes I feel my
> efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it
as
> soon as possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

I have dealt with a serious manic/depressive illness most of my adult life. What from I am
reading in your posts, yes, you are seriously depressed. What you have said are some of the
classic symptoms.

The good news is that yes, you should seek help. With a good doctor (I recommend a good
psychiatrist) and the right meds you can get out of this black hole you are in.

Depression is a serious medical illness. It has nothing to do with your character or you as a
person. Your thoughts of death and suicide are very serious and need to be addresses ASAP. If you
don't know where to go for help and the feelings for "ending it" become too strong...get to an ER.
Whatever you do, seek help. c

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi. Thanks for the replies. I just wondering? Am I starting to go into deep depression? Should I
> see someone? I am not crazy. I am just tired of all this. At work my friends observed that I am
> not as committed as I used to. Some say that I am not as passionate about most things anymore. The
> only good thing I heard is that they say I look great after losing so much weight the last 6
> months. But I feel empty. I love to work hard for my goals. But now it seems fighting this disease
> is no more one of them.
>
> "ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> > week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it
> > seems some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I
> > have a bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still
> > many years to live. But, I don't
want
> > spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a burden. Sometimes I feel my
> > efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end
it
> as
> > soon as possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

You may want to find a therapist to talk to about your depression.

You have made great progress in your A1c, you're in the normal range... you are doing the best you
can right now. It should be a time that you are happy with your efforts! You have done what many
diabetics cannot. Find some joy and solace in that. Your efforts are clearly not pointless.

If your sadness does not lift, look into some assistance.

Jennifer

"ojatt" <[email protected]> wrote in misc.health.diabetes:

> I am not crazy.

Remember that _if_ you have a clinical depression, it's not a matter of "being crazy" but of a
screwed up balance of all kinds of essential chemicals in your brain. It's not a _mental_ thing,
it's a _physical_ thing.

If you would have those problems in your knee you would say "what's wrong with my knee?" and see a
doctor about it. Now it's in your brains controlling not only your knee, and say your muscle in your
big toe, or the movement of your little finger, but - as brain - controlling your _mood_ as well.

It doesn't make it less phsyical. See your doctor. If that diagnosis is right, there are meds to
solve the problem. Just as there are meds to cure a pain in your knee.

Don't let the pain in your brain become a pain in the ass. Move. Now.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

ojatt <[email protected]> wrote on Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:26:16 +0800:
> Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
> week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
> some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
> bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do.

Well, with an Hba1C at 5.4, that seems unlikely.

> I am 39. Some say that I have still many years to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering
> a slow painful death.

I've been a type 1 for a little over 38 years, and so far remain wholly unaffected by the (physical)
complications. I don't think I'm at all unusual in that respect. If you manage the same (no reason
why not), you'll be fit until you're 77 (at least). :)

> I don't want to be a burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just
> end it as soon as possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Yet for these last 38 years, I suffered rotten depression, undiagnosed and untreated until about 5
years ago. Sounds like you've probably got depression, too.

Depression is the chemistry of the brain getting out of balance. It's a physical illness and can
be treated by drugs, typically very effectively. It is often brought on by emotional trauma, such
as a severe loss. There can't be a much more traumatic loss than that of the proper functioning of
one's own body.

Get down to your doc (today, not tomorrow) as an absolute number one priority, and tell him what
you've posted here. Just do it!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany) Email: [email protected]; to decode, wherever there is a repeated
letter (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

wrote:

>Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jun 03. Did a Hba1C in Sept - 6.9. Did another recently last
>week - 5.4. I am not on meds but on diet only. I should be happy with my recent test, but it seems
>some people I know around me have passed on due to complications related with diabetes. I have a
>bad feeling that I could go the same way as they do. I am 39. Some say that I have still many years
>to live. But, I don't want to spend years suffering a slow painful death. I don't want to be a
>burden. Sometimes I feel my efforts is pointless. Maybe its better to just end it as soon as
>possible. I have never felt like this in my life. Its no use to carry on.

Hi Ojatt

"Ojatt"??. Has to be a story there.

I've come to this a little late, because I've just come back from walkabout. But I think you may
have noticed some common factors in the replies so far.

They have collectively told you:
1. See a doctor.
2. You aren't crazy.
3. You've done brilliantly in gaining some control over your diabetes; an HbA1C under six that
quickly after diagnosis is great.
4. Lots of us have been where you are, although some of us started a little later in life.

I understand your depression, and certainly do not intend to imply it is not real; but sometimes a
little reflection on the big picture helps. There's an old saying "I cried because I had no shoes
until I met a man who had no feet."

I felt depressed enough that, during my "once in a lifetime" world trip, following diagnosis with
this thing and CLL, I decided to drive off a mountain road in Swtzerland. Obviously I didn't do it,
thanks to my wife. Then during my trip I started to realise that I was incredibly lucky for all
sorts off reasons that are unique to me. You will realise that for your own reasons soon, but you
need to give yourself time.

Follow the advice you have received from a unique group of people who, more than any others on this
planet, understand where you are at.

And congratulations on that A1C. I notice Jennifer didn't give you her full intro in the
circumstances. If you ask her nicely she might tell you how to improve it even more.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

I agree with Alan. After I lost a substancial amout of wight and changed my life, I fund myself
asking all kinds of questions about the validity f what I'd done. I think more than anything you
need to change your attitude about how scared you are about a slow death. The best thing I found
after getting control, wab that I was going to be around alot longer and in better condition than I
ever expected. It sounds to me like you never discussed the bigger picture with a professional who
told you that this isn;t the end of the road. I felt like I was going to die in 15 minutes, before i
knew better. listen to the people here, who have had this thing a long time. Me, too. A greater
portion of how you survive this, is YOU. Since you aren;t type one, more power to you. You need to
finda doc that will give you the good news and support you. What drove me to seek a doc was the
state of my feet. I thought they were too far gone to get better and I was in a horrible funk over
it and all the scare tactics, untill I learned that the most important thing I could do was to take
this in hand. You must find a way to believe in yourself and your ability to extend your life my
your own means. It seems to me like someone got to you with a lot of doom and gloom stuff and you
bought in to that. The good news is that, not everyone has ahorrible life and a slow death. Even
though I lapse in to goig off the wagon sometimes, I have mademy feet MUCH better, thru controlled
bg's, and exercise. I was in alot morepain and stuff before that. I couldbarely walk, now i an
outrun a bus. Don't scare yourself in to thinking you won't survive. You wanna know what scraes me ?
Kidney disease. Lucky for me, mt original doc didn't really explain it to me. If he had, I would
have given in right then and thought life was over. It ain't. But I do know now, and I take care of
myself. I know an awful lot of people who went thru aperiod of adjustment, and depression over being
dx'd, alot of people in denial. Wake up, dear and get on top of this. You know, I had a bad moment
once I reached my goal, where I thought 'is this all there is ?" Put the importance where it needs
to be, on positive thinking and et new goals to reach. Disregard naysayers and negative thinkers and
thinking. Open yourself up to the fact that there is real joy in being alive and find a way to enjoy
it. When I hit my orginal, i set a new one. If you need some support form a doctor to fight thru the
depression, go talk to someone. i don't believe in drugs, but that is just me. I know too many
people taking them, that don't need them. I don't want anyone to think I am yelling at you, I am
not. Rainbow

"hemyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I was diagnosed I felt like that myslef. My answer to you is to use your depression to
> motivate you to attack this disease with everything you've got at your disposal. Modify your
> lifestyle. Diet. Excercise. More excercise. Keep on monitoring your vitals - eyes, HbA1c, kidneys,
> lipids, feet, etc. There are few diseases where you have as much control over the outcome as you
> have with diabetes. As in my case, many people here have reported that since making life changes -
> losing weight, excercising, etc, they've been fitter and healthier than ever before.
>
> Sadly, you'll have all sorts of "friends" and family give you narratives
of
> diabetics losing their toes and dying of all sorts of things. Well, that's friends for you! Laugh
> at them. Keep your HbA1c low, and you'll probably outlive them all.
>
> Keep on reading and posting in this newsgroup. Learn as much as you can about your disease.
>
> Henry

Hi Henry.

You touched on somethig that has always baffled me......

Some folks just don't seem able to resist telling a person who is in misery about things even more
miserable.

I suppose it could be chalked up to "things could be worse" or "if you don't get a handle on things
this could be you."

However, too many times it just seems that relaying whatever is the cause of the misery just opens a
flood gate, and the one turned to for comfort or support uses the opportunity to vent(?) an old or
ongoing painful experience of their own.

Marie, Caretaker Mom T2

Hi Marie,

How's things going? Nice to see you posting. c

"Marie Maly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qZaRb.6$EW.1@okepread02...

> "hemyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > When I was diagnosed I felt like that myslef. My answer to you is to use your depression to
> > motivate you to attack this disease with everything you've got at your disposal. Modify your
> > lifestyle. Diet. Excercise.
More
> > excercise. Keep on monitoring your vitals - eyes, HbA1c, kidneys,
lipids,
> > feet, etc. There are few diseases where you have as much control over
the
> > outcome as you have with diabetes. As in my case, many people here have reported that since
> > making life changes - losing weight, excercising,
etc,
> > they've been fitter and healthier than ever before.
> >
> > Sadly, you'll have all sorts of "friends" and family give you narratives
> of
> > diabetics losing their toes and dying of all sorts of things. Well,
that's
> > friends for you! Laugh at them. Keep your HbA1c low, and you'll probably outlive them all.
> >
> > Keep on reading and posting in this newsgroup. Learn as much as you can about your disease.
> >
> > Henry
> >

> Hi Henry.
>
> You touched on somethig that has always baffled me......
>
> Some folks just don't seem able to resist telling a person who is in
misery
> about things even more miserable.
>
> I suppose it could be chalked up to "things could be worse" or "if you
don't
> get a handle on things this could be you."
>
> However, too many times it just seems that relaying whatever is the cause
of
> the misery just opens a flood gate, and the one turned to for comfort or support uses the
> opportunity to vent(?) an old or ongoing painful
experience
> of their own.
>

> Marie, Caretaker Mom T2

"Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Marie,
>
> How's things going? Nice to see you posting. c

Hi Colleen.

Things are good here......busy, but good.

I read posts daily, but often don't have time to post anything myself.

Marie, Caretaker Mom T2