Depressing or a massive opportunity

Tony W

Guest
Northampton Borough & Northants County Councils are paying squillions to consultants for a 'multi
modal' study -- i.e. how do we stop a relatively small town grid-locking itself because everyone
wants to drive a car.

Where there is a massive opportunity is that, amazingly, 66.8% of all commutes were less than 4 km
(figures from 1991 census). 26.5% less than 2km.

But, for commuting within the town just 3% were by bike and 14% on foot.

Talk about conditioning people to only think of one solution -- the car, its hardly worth getting
the bloody thing out for just 4km!!

Ho-hum.

Tony W wrote:

> Talk about conditioning people to only think of one solution -- the car, its hardly worth getting
> the bloody thing out for just 4km!!

But if they went by bike they might get knocked off by one of those tossers in cars!

--
Guy
===

> Tony W wrote:
>
> > Talk about conditioning people to only think of one solution -- the car, its hardly worth
> > getting the bloody thing out for just 4km!!
>
> But if they went by bike they might get knocked off by one of those
tossers
> in cars!

If all 66% went by bike the tossers in cars would run for their dear lives
:)

Ridiculous:mad:

66 % of trips less than 4km?:mad:

It just doesn't make sense does it ?

I blame Blair (well 2 jabs prescott actually).

:)

"ecce_ecce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ridiculous:mad:
>
> 66 % of trips less than 4km?:mad:
>
> It just doesn't make sense does it ?
>
> I blame Blair (well 2 jabs prescott actually).

Ridiculous? Mad? totally f***ing crazy?

Yes

The fault of Blair and Prescott?

Actually No.

"The great car economy" Mrs Margaret Thatcher, circa 1990. The conservative party is much more to
blame than any current politician, as they have encouraged cars, more cars, bigger cars, but mostly
more cars. They also screwed public transport and made it expensive, unreliable and unattractive.

The new labour party isn't doing as much as it could, but considering where it started from, and the
massive political opposition to anything which might control a persons ability to drive where they
want when they want, they could do a hell of a lot worse. Read the Integrated Transport White Paper
and compare it with the **** coming from the tories.

cheers

Rich

> :)

Look I have seen people fighting over parking spaces just so they can be 10 ft closer to a shop
entrance, now that is crazy.

I gave up 90% of my travelling to work by car 18 months ago, total commute distance 22 miles,
everybody at work thinks I'm crazy. The most common question is but don't you get wet?

No, I was born with waterproof skin and tell them a little water never hurt anybody and that's why
they can't play rugby anymore.

Guess where I live.

uphilldowwwwnhill wrote: snipped

There's a road in Windlesham called 'Updown Hill'.

Thought you might like to know that, but you probably didn't need to ;-).
--
Michael MacClancy

uphilldowwwwnhill wrote:
> Look I have seen people fighting over parking spaces just so they can be 10 ft closer to a shop
> entrance, now that is crazy.
>
> I gave up 90% of my travelling to work by car 18 months ago, total commute distance 22 miles,
> everybody at work thinks I'm crazy. The most common question is but don't you get wet?
>
> No, I was born with waterproof skin and tell them a little water never hurt anybody and that's why
> they can't play rugby anymore.
>
> Guess where I live.

Somewhere beaten by Italy?

I blame Thatcher