depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    make you feel better.

    I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    low carb. What to do.... what to do

    Tags:

  2. In article <8%[email protected]>,
    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    > make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

    odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg. DHEA
    per day and some melatonin at night.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  3. Do you really want to know what to do?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]
    >I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a
    >couple articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and
    >can make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

  4. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:J8%[email protected]
    > Do you really want to know what to do?

    not if you are going to give me a smart ass answer, based on your sig that's
    what I'll get.

  5. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    > odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    > If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg. DHEA
    > per day and some melatonin at night.

    foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, popped
    popcorn... there are others

    but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so perhaps the
    lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip in mood

    it also says exercise helps up serotonin, however they say it is "extreme"
    exercise that does this

  6. If you can't even learn to capitalize, you might as well not even exist.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:x%[email protected]
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:J8%[email protected]
    >> Do you really want to know what to do?
    >>

    > not if you are going to give me a smart ass answer, based on your sig
    > that's what I'll get.

  7. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:CD%[email protected]
    > If you can't even learn to capitalize, you might as well not even exist.
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:x%[email protected]
    >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:J8%[email protected]
    >>> Do you really want to know what to do?
    >>>

    >> not if you are going to give me a smart ass answer, based on your sig
    >> that's what I'll get.

    See, you are an ass

  8. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:CD%[email protected]
    > If you can't even learn to capitalize, you might as well not even exist.

    You are not too smart yourself, otherwise you would know not to say
    something like that to a person stating that they are depressed.

  9. Crystal wrote:
    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    > make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

    Crystal,

    I have hypoglycemia and I find that following a severely low carb regime
    lets my blood sugar fall too low which cuases me to have mild depression.

    Get a blood glucose monitor. Start testing your blood sugar. You want
    to eat in such a way that your blood sugar doesn't drop much lower that
    fasting level.

    A good average fasting blood sugar is around 88 to 95. I found my blood
    sugar falling into the 60's and 70's during the day, numbers which are
    by no means bad in any way -- but they made me feel bad. I found that
    if I got 15 grams of carb at each meal, it kept my blood sugar up and I
    got rid of the feelings of depression.

    Good luck.

    Cookie

  10. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "Cookie Cutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:iG%[email protected]
    > Crystal wrote:
    >> I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a
    >> couple articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels
    >> and can make you feel better.
    >>
    >> I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    >> diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed
    >> mood has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose
    >> weight on low carb. What to do.... what to do

    > Crystal,
    >
    > I have hypoglycemia and I find that following a severely low carb regime
    > lets my blood sugar fall too low which cuases me to have mild depression.
    >
    > Get a blood glucose monitor. Start testing your blood sugar. You want to
    > eat in such a way that your blood sugar doesn't drop much lower that
    > fasting level.
    >
    > A good average fasting blood sugar is around 88 to 95. I found my blood
    > sugar falling into the 60's and 70's during the day, numbers which are by
    > no means bad in any way -- but they made me feel bad. I found that if I
    > got 15 grams of carb at each meal, it kept my blood sugar up and I got rid
    > of the feelings of depression.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Cookie

    Thank you for the advise. My dad tests his blood sugar, I can use his
    monitor a few times to see where my level is at.

  11. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Crystal wrote:
    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    > make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

    Most folks who low carb experience improved moods, especially the most
    IR folks. I, OTOH, experienced a drop in active, T3 thyroid hormone on
    very low carb, and that led to depression. You might try having your
    free T3 tested, you might try eating moderate carb.

    Ever hear of sugar blues? Eating high carb is not the answer, or Prozac
    wouldn't be such a success in a high carb eating world.

    Susan

  12. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Crystal wrote:

    > foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    > pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, popped
    > popcorn... there are others
    >
    > but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so perhaps the
    > lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip in mood

    Only wheat and fruit need to be limited on that list, not necessarily
    omitted. There are so many others, though, that sources are clearly not
    a problem.

    Have you looked into 5htp, the seratonin precursor? Check it out on
    Medline.

    Susan

  13. what i found works for me, because i REFUSE to eat a high carb diet, and
    i am clinically depressed.
    exercise.
    walk for 15 minutes daily.
    read:

    POTATOES NOT PROZAC

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]
    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a

    couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and

    can
    > make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH

    carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed

    mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight

    on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

  14. chocolate works well for me.
    you can make your own LC chocolate and dip fruit in it after your
    dinner.
    (eat for one hour only)

    http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/0804.html

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uD%[email protected]
    > > odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    > > If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg.

    DHEA
    > > per day and some melatonin at night.

    > foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    > pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds,

    popped
    > popcorn... there are others
    >
    > but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so

    perhaps the
    > lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip in mood
    >
    > it also says exercise helps up serotonin, however they say it is

    "extreme"
    > exercise that does this

  15. There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really going
    to matter.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ZF%[email protected]
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:CD%[email protected]
    >> If you can't even learn to capitalize, you might as well not even exist.

    > You are not too smart yourself, otherwise you would know not to say
    > something like that to a person stating that they are depressed.

  16. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Crystal <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>> odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    :>> If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg.
    :>> DHEA per day and some melatonin at night.
    :>
    :>
    :> foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    :> pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds,
    :> popped popcorn... there are others

    Blueberries, strawberries, avaocados, nuts, turkey, splenda sweetened
    chocolate, pumpkin seeds are all allowed on LC.

    :>
    :> but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so
    :> perhaps the lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip
    :> in mood
    :>

    Are you sure, or do you just want to quit LC?

    :> it also says exercise helps up serotonin, however they say it is
    :> "extreme" exercise that does this

    Hard aerobic exercise should do it. Get your heart rate up.

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> exercise.
    :> walk for 15 minutes daily.

    It that all you do, rosie?

    :> read:
    :>
    :> POTATOES NOT PROZAC
    :>
    :> --
    :>
    :> "no duh!"
    :> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :> "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :> news:8%[email protected]
    :>> I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read
    :>> a
    :> couple
    :>> articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and
    :> can
    :>> make you feel better.
    :>>
    :>> I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH
    :> carb
    :>> diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly
    :>> depressed
    :> mood
    :>> has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose
    :>> weight
    :> on
    :>> low carb. What to do.... what to do

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> chocolate works well for me.
    :> you can make your own LC chocolate and dip fruit in it after your
    :> dinner.
    :> (eat for one hour only)

    That's a lot of eating! Maybe you meant walk for an hour and eat for 15
    minutes????

    :>
    :> http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/0804.html
    :>
    :> --
    :>
    :> "no duh!"
    :> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :> "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :> news:uD%[email protected]
[...]

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest