depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Blueberries, strawberries, avaocados, nuts, turkey, splenda sweetened
    > chocolate, pumpkin seeds are all allowed on LC.

    actually they stress mangos and bananas are the ones that should be eaten to
    up serotonin

    > Are you sure, or do you just want to quit LC?

    No. Contrary to what you are implying, I am not making an excuse to stop
    LC, I have no plans of quitting. My original post was simply a "I wonder
    if" this is what is happening to my mood, not a way out of eating LC.

  2. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    After doing much more reading today, I am going to pick up a bottle of 5HTP
    at Walgreens. That is a supplement used to up serotonin.

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Crystal <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :>
    :>> Blueberries, strawberries, avaocados, nuts, turkey, splenda
    :>> sweetened chocolate, pumpkin seeds are all allowed on LC.
    :>
    :>
    :> actually they stress mangos and bananas are the ones that should be
    :> eaten to up serotonin
    :>
    :>
    :>> Are you sure, or do you just want to quit LC?
    :>
    :>
    :> No. Contrary to what you are implying, I am not making an excuse to
    :> stop LC, I have no plans of quitting. My original post was simply a
    :> "I wonder if" this is what is happening to my mood, not a way out of
    :> eating LC.

    If you can't eat what they "stress", eat the other foods on the list that
    are low carb. And do some exercise. Plenty of people don't eat mangos and
    bananas and don't have low moods.

    It's not rocket science, you know.

  4. Sprgtime

    Sprgtime Guest

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]
    >I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a
    >couple articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and
    >can make you feel better.

    Exercise definitely helps depression. It doesn't necessarily have to be
    "extreme" either. Find physical things you enjoy doing and do them. Being
    outside in the sunlight helps lift the mood also. Riding my bike and
    feeling the wind does a lot for my frame of mind. Of course, Dance Dance
    Revolution is still my favorite. :) But when the weather is nice I try to
    be outside as much as possible.
    I also find 15 minutes of Yoga a day very refreshing.

    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

    "They" suggest high carb diets for EVERYTHING. If low carb is helping you
    lose weight, I would say stick to it. What low carb plan are you following?
    I eat nuts just about everyday. I also eat fruit most days. Strawberries &
    blueberries are my favorites. I do have pineapple, too, though. I love
    pineapple & cottage cheese. I eat wheat. I can eat all the turkey I want.
    I eat chocolate (Lindt 85% cocoa or splenda sweetened). I eat popcorn (just
    watch for trans fat).
    Those items you mentioned are typically only restricted in low carb during
    the beginning stages. I'm in OWL of Atkins and have added all the foods
    back (except for white flour, sugar, etc.). I'm still losing weight.

    --
    Spring
    LC since 1/1/04

    "Before" & "current" pics at link below:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sprgsnow/my_photos

  5. In article <uD%[email protected]>,
    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    > > If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg. DHEA
    > > per day and some melatonin at night.

    > foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    > pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, popped
    > popcorn... there are others
    >
    > but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so perhaps the
    > lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip in mood
    >
    > it also says exercise helps up serotonin, however they say it is "extreme"
    > exercise that does this

    Weight lifting is extreme. ;-)
    Especially since I like the "rush" of lifting heavy.

    Better than any drugs on the market, black or white!

    Really Crystal, you either want to lose weight or you don't.
    You already know that sugar is out, but Pumpkin seeds just happen to be
    acceptable! So are a lot of other nuts, and avocados.

    The above list actually has some acceptable foods on it.

    Try the supplements I suggested. They do work...

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really going
    > to matter.

    Are you volunteering JC? ;-)
    --
    Om.

  7. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Crystal <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :>
    > :>> Blueberries, strawberries, avaocados, nuts, turkey, splenda
    > :>> sweetened chocolate, pumpkin seeds are all allowed on LC.
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> actually they stress mangos and bananas are the ones that should be
    > :> eaten to up serotonin
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>> Are you sure, or do you just want to quit LC?
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> No. Contrary to what you are implying, I am not making an excuse to
    > :> stop LC, I have no plans of quitting. My original post was simply a
    > :> "I wonder if" this is what is happening to my mood, not a way out of
    > :> eating LC.
    >
    > If you can't eat what they "stress", eat the other foods on the list that
    > are low carb. And do some exercise. Plenty of people don't eat mangos
    > and bananas and don't have low moods.
    >
    > It's not rocket science, you know.

    Gee really? thanks for telling me that.

  8. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

  9. JC,

    You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My time will come soon enough.
    >
    > In the meantime, all those that feel they don't have a reason to continue,
    > shouldn't.
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really
    >>> going
    >>> to matter.

    >> Are you volunteering JC? ;-)
    >> --
    >> Om.
    >>
    >> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
    >> Nicholson

  10. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <uD%[email protected]>,
    > "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > odd... I've become LESS depressed, but I'm also weight lifting. :)
    >> > If you can't do that (it boosts Endorphin levels) try 50 to 100 mg.
    >> > DHEA
    >> > per day and some melatonin at night.

    >> foods that increase serotonin are: fruit, mainly bananas, mangos,
    >> pineapple, avocados, nuts, wheat, turkey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds,
    >> popped
    >> popcorn... there are others
    >>
    >> but see most of these foods are omitted from a low carb diet, so perhaps
    >> the
    >> lack of fruit and other foods could be leading to my dip in mood
    >>
    >> it also says exercise helps up serotonin, however they say it is
    >> "extreme"
    >> exercise that does this
    >>

    > Weight lifting is extreme. ;-)
    > Especially since I like the "rush" of lifting heavy.
    >
    > Better than any drugs on the market, black or white!
    >
    > Really Crystal, you either want to lose weight or you don't.
    > You already know that sugar is out, but Pumpkin seeds just happen to be
    > acceptable! So are a lot of other nuts, and avocados.
    >
    > The above list actually has some acceptable foods on it.
    >
    > Try the supplements I suggested. They do work...
    >
    > Cheers!
    > --
    > Om.
    >
    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
    > Nicholson

    Yep, exactly what Om has said:)

  11. My time will come soon enough.

    In the meantime, all those that feel they don't have a reason to continue,
    shouldn't.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really
    >> going
    >> to matter.

    > Are you volunteering JC? ;-)
    > --
    > Om.
    >
    > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
    > Nicholson

  12. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JC,
    >
    > You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.

    They seem to truly be a very mean spirited, unhappy individual.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > My time will come soon enough.
    > >
    > > In the meantime, all those that feel they don't have a reason to continue,
    > > shouldn't.

    > JC,
    >
    > You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.

    <lol> No, it's just JC thru and thru...
    --
    Om.

  14. Believe that my time will come soon enough?

    Of course. That's how life works.

    Are are you asking if I believe that people should cash in their chips if
    they don't like the game?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JC,
    >
    > You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.
    >

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> My time will come soon enough.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, all those that feel they don't have a reason to
    >> continue, shouldn't.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Are you volunteering JC? ;-)
    >>> --
    >>> Om.
    >>>
    >>> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
    >>> Nicholson

  15. They is an individual?

    Your grasp of English seems to be a bit on the weak side.

    Perhaps you can get some help at your local community college.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> JC,
    >>
    >> You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.

    > They seem to truly be a very mean spirited, unhappy individual.

  16. "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > Are are you asking if I believe that people should cash in their chips if
    > they don't like the game?

    Correction:

    Or are you asking if I believe that people should cash in their chips if
    they don't like the game?

  17. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Depression is something a psychiatrist might best address.

    However, in this forum I'll suggest trying a probiotic called Culturelle.
    Also, for some folks, bright lights in the morning can trick the body into
    thinking it is summertime.

    If anything, low carb has a reputation for increasing subjective energy
    levels.

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]
    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a

    couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    > make you feel better.
    >
    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    > diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

  18. JC,

    Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I realize
    we all die, eventually.

    Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if they
    don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you think that is
    okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter, correct? Would you tell her
    to do that if she came to you and told you she was depressed and didn't want
    to live any longer? I can understand your frustration with people on this
    ng---I also get frustrated, but you don't have to say the things you say.
    Freedom of speech, eh?

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Believe that my time will come soon enough?
    >
    > Of course. That's how life works.
    >

    > Are are you asking if I believe that people should cash in their chips if
    > they don't like the game?
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> JC,
    >>
    >> You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.
    >>

    >> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> My time will come soon enough.
    >>>
    >>> In the meantime, all those that feel they don't have a reason to
    >>> continue, shouldn't.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. --
    >>> MFW
    >>>

    >>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

  19. Those that don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of us
    that still have a zest for life.

    Do you condone that?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JC,
    >
    > Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I
    > realize we all die, eventually.
    >
    > Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if they
    > don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you think that is
    > okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter, correct? Would you tell
    > her to do that if she came to you and told you she was depressed and
    > didn't want to live any longer? I can understand your frustration with
    > people on this ng---I also get frustrated, but you don't have to say the
    > things you say. Freedom of speech, eh?
    >

    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >> Believe that my time will come soon enough?
    >>
    >> Of course. That's how life works.
    >>

    >> Are are you asking if I believe that people should cash in their chips if
    >> they don't like the game?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "JOLINDA RANEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> JC,
    >>>
    >>> You don't really believe that, do you? Seriously, that is quite harsh.
    >>>

    >>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    JOLINDA RANEY <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> JC,
    :>
    :> Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I
    :> realize we all die, eventually.

    Are you kidding? Do you think he give a damn if you like it or not?

    :>
    :> Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if
    :> they don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you
    :> think that is okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter,
    :> correct? Would you tell her to do that if she came to you and told
    :> you she was depressed and didn't want to live any longer? I can
    :> understand your frustration with people on this ng

    Are you kidding? Do you really think he gives a damn about people on this
    ng?

    :> ---I also get frustrated,

    Are you kidding? If you're frustrated with the people here, just leave....

    :> but you don't have to say the things you say. Freedom of speech, eh?

    Well that means he can say what he wants, right?

    Again, are you kidding?

    :)