depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    JC Der Koenig wrote:
    > Those that don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of us
    > that still have a zest for life.

    Zest for life? That sounds like a line is an online ad for a date....

    > Do you condone that?

  2. \
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JOLINDA RANEY <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> JC,
    > :>
    > :> Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I
    > :> realize we all die, eventually.
    >
    > Are you kidding? Do you think he give a damn if you like it or not

    I am sure he doesn't. The fact is, it annoys me. I am sure he knows that or
    he wouldn't have used it in his response. JC is not dumb...........

    > :>
    > :> Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if
    > :> they don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you
    > :> think that is okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter,
    > :> correct? Would you tell her to do that if she came to you and told
    > :> you she was depressed and didn't want to live any longer? I can
    > :> understand your frustration with people on this ng
    >
    > Are you kidding? Do you really think he gives a damn about people on this
    > ng?

    Actually, I am not sure what JC gives a damn about. He seems passionate
    about his teaching, and that is great. I believe he says the things he says
    to get a "rise" out of people.

    > :> ---I also get frustrated,
    >
    > Are you kidding? If you're frustrated with the people here, just
    > leave....

    Are you talking directly to me, or in people in general who get frustrated?
    I get annoyed with some people here, but don't bash them and don't
    criticize. I am supportive and generally avoid arguements. I will leave when
    I decide to leave, no sooner. People annoy me at times, big deal. Life goes
    on.....

    > :> but you don't have to say the things you say. Freedom of speech, eh?
    >
    > Well that means he can say what he wants, right?
    >
    > Again, are you kidding?

    > :)

    It means nothing. He has the right to his opinion as I do mine. I don't
    think that just because you have an opinion about something or someone, it's
    your right to express it. JC can say what he wants. He is an adult. Whether
    or not it's right, doesn't seem to matter. I personally think a lot of what
    he has to say regarding weight loss is right on the money, but personal
    attacks are uncalled for.

    Lol---and yes, I am kidding---myself!!!

    Before anyone jumps on my ass, I understand perfectly that my quoting skills
    are awful:)))

  3. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    JOLINDA RANEY wrote:
    > \
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>JOLINDA RANEY <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>:> JC,
    >>:>
    >>:> Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I
    >>:> realize we all die, eventually.
    >>
    >>Are you kidding? Do you think he give a damn if you like it or not

    > I am sure he doesn't. The fact is, it annoys me. I am sure he knows that or
    > he wouldn't have used it in his response. JC is not dumb...........
    >

    >>:>
    >>:> Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if
    >>:> they don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you
    >>:> think that is okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter,
    >>:> correct? Would you tell her to do that if she came to you and told
    >>:> you she was depressed and didn't want to live any longer? I can
    >>:> understand your frustration with people on this ng
    >>
    >>Are you kidding? Do you really think he gives a damn about people on this
    >>ng?

    > Actually, I am not sure what JC gives a damn about. He seems passionate
    > about his teaching, and that is great. I believe he says the things he says
    > to get a "rise" out of people.
    >

    >>:> ---I also get frustrated,
    >>
    >>Are you kidding? If you're frustrated with the people here, just
    >>leave....

    > Are you talking directly to me, or in people in general who get frustrated?
    > I get annoyed with some people here, but don't bash them and don't
    > criticize. I am supportive and generally avoid arguements. I will leave when
    > I decide to leave, no sooner. People annoy me at times, big deal. Life goes
    > on.....
    >

    >>:> but you don't have to say the things you say. Freedom of speech, eh?
    >>
    >>Well that means he can say what he wants, right?
    >>
    >>Again, are you kidding?

    >>:)

    > It means nothing. He has the right to his opinion as I do mine. I don't
    > think that just because you have an opinion about something or someone, it's
    > your right to express it. JC can say what he wants. He is an adult. Whether
    > or not it's right, doesn't seem to matter. I personally think a lot of what
    > he has to say regarding weight loss is right on the money, but personal
    > attacks are uncalled for.
    >
    > Lol---and yes, I am kidding---myself!!!
    >
    > Before anyone jumps on my ass, I understand perfectly that my quoting skills
    > are awful:)))

    I don't care so much for your quoting skills, but it bugs the shit out
    of me when folks like you can't resist rising to the bait of someone I
    have killfiled for good reason. Most folks have JC kf'ed. We don't see
    his crap until someone like you has a hissy fit about it.

    Your delete key and your kill file are your friends.

    Susan

  4. "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > JOLINDA RANEY wrote:
    >> \
    >> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>JOLINDA RANEY <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>:> JC,
    >>>:>
    >>>:> Stop using that sig line when responding to me---I don't like it. I
    >>>:> realize we all die, eventually.
    >>>
    >>>Are you kidding? Do you think he give a damn if you like it or not

    >> I am sure he doesn't. The fact is, it annoys me. I am sure he knows that
    >> or he wouldn't have used it in his response. JC is not dumb...........
    >>

    >>>:>
    >>>:> Yes, I am asking you if you believe they should kill themselves if
    >>>:> they don't feel like living and/or are depressed. Why would you
    >>>:> think that is okay to tell someone that? You have a daughter,
    >>>:> correct? Would you tell her to do that if she came to you and told
    >>>:> you she was depressed and didn't want to live any longer? I can
    >>>:> understand your frustration with people on this ng
    >>>
    >>>Are you kidding? Do you really think he gives a damn about people on
    >>>this ng?

    >> Actually, I am not sure what JC gives a damn about. He seems passionate
    >> about his teaching, and that is great. I believe he says the things he
    >> says to get a "rise" out of people.
    >>

    >>>:> ---I also get frustrated,
    >>>
    >>>Are you kidding? If you're frustrated with the people here, just
    >>>leave....

    >> Are you talking directly to me, or in people in general who get
    >> frustrated? I get annoyed with some people here, but don't bash them and
    >> don't criticize. I am supportive and generally avoid arguements. I will
    >> leave when I decide to leave, no sooner. People annoy me at times, big
    >> deal. Life goes on.....
    >>

    >>>:> but you don't have to say the things you say. Freedom of speech, eh?
    >>>
    >>>Well that means he can say what he wants, right?
    >>>
    >>>Again, are you kidding?

    >>>:)

    >> It means nothing. He has the right to his opinion as I do mine. I don't
    >> think that just because you have an opinion about something or someone,
    >> it's your right to express it. JC can say what he wants. He is an adult.
    >> Whether or not it's right, doesn't seem to matter. I personally think a
    >> lot of what he has to say regarding weight loss is right on the money,
    >> but personal attacks are uncalled for.
    >>
    >> Lol---and yes, I am kidding---myself!!!
    >>
    >> Before anyone jumps on my ass, I understand perfectly that my quoting
    >> skills are awful:)))
    >>

    > I don't care so much for your quoting skills, but it bugs the shit out of
    > me when folks like you can't resist rising to the bait of someone I have
    > killfiled for good reason. Most folks have JC kf'ed. We don't see his
    > crap until someone like you has a hissy fit about it.
    >
    > Your delete key and your kill file are your friends.
    >
    > Susan

    Take a chill pill. Someone like me? I am not rising to any bait. I thought
    what he said was awful to someone suffering from depression.

    Midol.

  5. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Looks like I'm doing better at losing weight than you are at refraining
    from telling people to kill themselves.

    Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to our
    society despite suffering from depression?

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  6. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    JOLINDA RANEY wrote:

    > Take a chill pill. Someone like me?

    I'm chillin' just fine thanks. Someone who lets JC push her buttons and
    ends up creating threads about it and him is what I meant.

    > I am not rising to any bait.

    I thought
    > what he said was awful to someone suffering from depression.

    Yeah, that's the bait. Everything he posts is an awful thing to say to
    someone, pretty much. It's almost all bait. You took it. At least
    marke it OT, since the depression thread got hijacked by it.

    > Midol.

    MMmm, no, my objection to OT blather about trolls isn't hormonal.
    Sheesh, how anti feminist can you get, anyhoo?

    Sumpeeple.

    Susan

  7. "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > JOLINDA RANEY wrote:
    >
    >> Take a chill pill. Someone like me?

    > I'm chillin' just fine thanks. Someone who lets JC push her buttons and
    > ends up creating threads about it and him is what I meant.
    >
    >> I am not rising to any bait.

    > I thought
    >> what he said was awful to someone suffering from depression.

    > Yeah, that's the bait. Everything he posts is an awful thing to say to
    > someone, pretty much. It's almost all bait. You took it. At least marke
    > it OT, since the depression thread got hijacked by it.
    >

    >> Midol.

    > MMmm, no, my objection to OT blather about trolls isn't hormonal. Sheesh,
    > how anti feminist can you get, anyhoo?
    >
    > Sumpeeple.
    >
    > Susan

    My apologies. You are right:)

  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :> Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to
    :> our society despite suffering from depression?

    Yeah....

  9. FOB

    FOB Guest

    So put him in your killfile and you will never have to see it again.

    In news:[email protected],
    JOLINDA RANEY <[email protected]> stated

    | I am sure he doesn't. The fact is, it annoys me. I am sure he knows
    | that or he wouldn't have used it in his response. JC is not
    | dumb...........

  10. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    JOLINDA RANEY wrote:

    > My apologies. You are right:)

    Ooh, you just said the Three Magic Words. :)

    Susan

  11. "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JC Der Koenig wrote:
    >> Those that don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of
    >> us that still have a zest for life.

    > Zest for life? That sounds like a line is an online ad for a date....

    I've never had the urge to look at online ads for dates.

    I guess now I know where the market lies.

  12. Do you really believe that I'd be impressed?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Looks like I'm doing better at losing weight than you are at refraining
    > from telling people to kill themselves.
    >
    > Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to our
    > society despite suffering from depression?

  13. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    Crystal wrote:
    || I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read
    || a couple articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin
    || levels and can make you feel better.
    || I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH
    || carb diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly
    || depressed mood has been because of my low carb diet. However, I
    || only can lose weight on low carb. What to do.... what to do

    "They" (whoever they are) are idiots with absolutely no basis for this. I
    just did a search and the only places I could find that statements were made
    that low-carb causes depression were published or sponsored by potato
    growers, wheat growers or fruit growers associations. Andf by those who
    operate low-fat weight loss clinics. No conflict of interest there!

    It has been known for a century and a half that limiting sugars and starches
    in the diet promotes mental health and a sense of well-being. Low sugar
    diets used to be the only way to contol hyperactivity in kids. Many of us
    have been able to throw away our anti-derpresants by sticking to a low- carb
    plan. Low-carb works better than Prozac and Paxil in preventing panic
    attacks also.

    The plain and simple fact is that glucose manufactured from consumed
    carbohydrates do not provide the brain with anything needed that glucose
    manufactured from broken-down fat doesn't. It's voodoo physiology,
    exploited by those with an agenda for being anti-low carb.

    ---
    Peter
    Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  14. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Doesn't matter if you would be impressed or not. You said "Those that
    don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of us that
    still have a zest for life."

    They (depressed people) don't JUST try to do suck your precious zestful
    energy. They try, and accomplish, much more than that.

    Maybe you think the world would have been better off if Buzz Aldrin,
    Stephen Hawking, Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, and Cole Porter had
    just killed themselves whenever they had their first onset of
    depression. If so, my heart weeps tears of bitter blood for the empty
    hole where your soul should be.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you really believe that I'd be impressed?
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Looks like I'm doing better at losing weight than you are at refraining
    > > from telling people to kill themselves.
    > >
    > > Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to our
    > > society despite suffering from depression?

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  15. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>
    > :> Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to
    > :> our society despite suffering from depression?
    >
    > Yeah....

    Well, this is one list I found, but it's heavy on the artistic fields:

    http://mixednuts.net/depression-famous.html

    This is where I found Aldrin and Hawking:

    http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/symptoms_famous.html

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> In article <[email protected]>,
    :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :>> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>> :>
    :>> :> Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed
    :>> :> to our society despite suffering from depression?
    :>>
    :>> Yeah....
    :>
    :> Well, this is one list I found, but it's heavy on the artistic
    :> fields:
    :>
    :> http://mixednuts.net/depression-famous.html
    :>
    :> This is where I found Aldrin and Hawking:
    :>
    :> http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/symptoms_famous.html
    :>

    Geez....when I see those names, I can't help but wonder what do most of
    those people have to be depressed about?

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> In article <[email protected]>,
    :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :>> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>> :>
    :>> :> Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed
    :>> :> to our society despite suffering from depression?
    :>>
    :>> Yeah....
    :>
    :> Well, this is one list I found, but it's heavy on the artistic
    :> fields:
    :>
    :> http://mixednuts.net/depression-famous.html
    :>
    :> This is where I found Aldrin and Hawking:
    :>
    :> http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/symptoms_famous.html
    :>

    Geez....when I see those names, I can't help but wonder what do most of
    those people have to be depressed about?

  18. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> In article <[email protected]>,
    > :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>
    > :>> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>> :>
    > :>> :> Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed
    > :>> :> to our society despite suffering from depression?
    > :>>
    > :>> Yeah....
    > :>
    > :> Well, this is one list I found, but it's heavy on the artistic
    > :> fields:
    > :>
    > :> http://mixednuts.net/depression-famous.html
    > :>
    > :> This is where I found Aldrin and Hawking:
    > :>
    > :> http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/symptoms_famous.html
    > :>
    >
    > Geez....when I see those names, I can't help but wonder what do most of
    > those people have to be depressed about?

    That's one of the sneaky things about depression, it's not always caused
    by an outside stimulus. Sometimes it is, as with Hawking's physical
    debilitation. But often everything in your life can be going fine, and
    yet you feel just all wrong. Maybe out of synch with the rest of the
    world, or numb. You know intellectually that you _should_ be happy, but
    it just doesn't happen. Some people respond by becoming
    self-destructive, some people become overachievers, thinking "Well,
    maybe if I can just write another novel/another song/paint another
    painting/make one more million dollar stock trade then I'll be happy."
    If you were unhappy for a long time, yet kept hoping happiness would
    come from your achievements, then you'd be apt to achieve quite a lot,
    eh? Until you just gave up, or died from some other cause.

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  19. Get to weepin'.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doesn't matter if you would be impressed or not. You said "Those that
    > don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of us that
    > still have a zest for life."
    >
    > They (depressed people) don't JUST try to do suck your precious zestful
    > energy. They try, and accomplish, much more than that.
    >
    > Maybe you think the world would have been better off if Buzz Aldrin,
    > Stephen Hawking, Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, and Cole Porter had
    > just killed themselves whenever they had their first onset of
    > depression. If so, my heart weeps tears of bitter blood for the empty
    > hole where your soul should be.
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you really believe that I'd be impressed?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Looks like I'm doing better at losing weight than you are at refraining
    >> > from telling people to kill themselves.
    >> >
    >> > Do you really want a list of people from history who contributed to our
    >> > society despite suffering from depression?
    >> >

    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  20. Hawking has had plenty to be depressed about.