depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hawking has had plenty to be depressed about.

    But he overcame it. ;-)

    Go to work JC!
    That's where I'm headed here shortly.
    I have a morning meeting, then still have to work the night shift
    tonight.

    How depressing..... <G>

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  2. YES!

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "rosie read n' post" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:MV%[email protected]
    > > chocolate works well for me.
    > > you can make your own LC chocolate and dip fruit in it after your
    > > dinner.
    > > (eat for one hour only)
    > >
    > > http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/0804.html

    > can splenda be used instead of equal in that recipe?

  3. actually roger, the treatment of depression CAN BE rocket science!

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Crystal <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :>
    > :>> Blueberries, strawberries, avaocados, nuts, turkey, splenda
    > :>> sweetened chocolate, pumpkin seeds are all allowed on LC.
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> actually they stress mangos and bananas are the ones that should be
    > :> eaten to up serotonin
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>> Are you sure, or do you just want to quit LC?
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> No. Contrary to what you are implying, I am not making an excuse

    > :> stop LC, I have no plans of quitting. My original post was simply

    > :> "I wonder if" this is what is happening to my mood, not a way out

    of
    > :> eating LC.
    >
    > If you can't eat what they "stress", eat the other foods on the list

    that
    > are low carb. And do some exercise. Plenty of people don't eat

    mangos and
    > bananas and don't have low moods.
    >
    > It's not rocket science, you know.

  4. no roger, that was my suggestion to crystal.
    when i walk i do two miles (4mph) this week i start back with regular
    water aerobics and a yoga/pilates class.

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> exercise.
    > :> walk for 15 minutes daily.
    >
    > It that all you do, rosie?
    >
    > :> read:
    > :>
    > :> POTATOES NOT PROZAC
    > :>
    > :> --
    > :>
    > :> "no duh!"
    > :> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>
    > :> "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :> news:8%[email protected]
    > :>> I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just

    read
    > :>> a
    > :> couple
    > :>> articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels

    and
    > :> can
    > :>> make you feel better.
    > :>>
    > :>> I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a

    HIGH
    > :> carb
    > :>> diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly
    > :>> depressed
    > :> mood
    > :>> has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose
    > :>> weight
    > :> on
    > :>> low carb. What to do.... what to do

  5. i use to use a coffee mug that had the names of all the GREAT COMPOSERS
    who suffered from depression.
    we are a talented lot!
    ;)

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> In article <[email protected]>,
    > :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>
    > :>> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>> :>
    > :>> :> Do you really want a list of people from history who

    contributed
    > :>> :> to our society despite suffering from depression?
    > :>>
    > :>> Yeah....
    > :>
    > :> Well, this is one list I found, but it's heavy on the artistic
    > :> fields:
    > :>
    > :> http://mixednuts.net/depression-famous.html
    > :>
    > :> This is where I found Aldrin and Hawking:
    > :>
    > :> http://bluepages.anu.edu.au/symptoms_famous.html
    > :>
    >
    > Geez....when I see those names, I can't help but wonder what do most

    of
    > those people have to be depressed about?

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> no roger, that was my suggestion to crystal.
    :> when i walk i do two miles (4mph) this week i start back with regular
    :> water aerobics and a yoga/pilates class.

    Ah...makes sense now....I thought something was wrong with that picture.

  7. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> no roger, that was my suggestion to crystal.
    :> when i walk i do two miles (4mph) this week i start back with regular
    :> water aerobics and a yoga/pilates class.

    Ah...makes sense now....I thought something was wrong with that picture.

  8. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Are you a proponent of utilitarian bioethics, by any chance?

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  9. Luna

  10. Crystal wrote:

    > I have been increasingly depressed over the last year.

    I just read through your posting history to have enough context
    to try some responses that make sense for your situation.
    Kudos on the sobriety. That's still going well I hope? It
    does suggest a cause for your depression:

    > I just read a couple
    > articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    > make you feel better.

    Terminating alcohol use can lower seratonin levels. Part of
    how addictions build is a substance will boost seratonin
    production in the short term but cut seratonin production in
    the long run. The substance becomes both the cause of the
    lower levels and the cure to increase levels in a vicious
    feedback cycle. The long term solution is the hard one,
    quitting and riding out the withxdrawal.

    > I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so.

    Have you ever moved on to OWL? I've read through your
    positng history to try to figure that out and it looks like
    you've remained on Induction. You never read the DANDR
    book. You worked from memory in your low carb attempt.
    And so on.

    > They suggest a HIGH carb diet to raise Serotonin levels.

    More specifically they recommend against extremely low
    dietary carb levels. As in remaining on Induction. Try
    moving on to OWL.

    > So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    > has been because of my low carb diet.

    I think quitting drinking had a lot more to do with it,
    but staying on Induction would only make problems last
    longer if the seratonin theories are right.

    > However, I only can lose weight on
    > low carb. What to do.... what to do

    Read the book, follow the process, move on to OWL. The
    higher carbs of following the directions should handle
    it.

  11. "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > JOLINDA RANEY wrote:
    >
    >> My apologies. You are right:)

    > Ooh, you just said the Three Magic Words. :)
    >
    > Susan

    Well, you make a lot of sense. It just hit a nerve with me. I have a
    beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago. She was
    depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was awful. I
    should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it should
    have been used. My daughter has moved on and is now in college and doing
    wonderfully. I still don't think JC meant what he said( although he will
    argue otherwise).

    I have to realize that not everyone thinks as I do.

    Hugs.

  12. "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > JOLINDA RANEY wrote:
    >
    >> My apologies. You are right:)

    > Ooh, you just said the Three Magic Words. :)
    >
    > Susan

    Well, you make a lot of sense. It just hit a nerve with me. I have a
    beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago. She was
    depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was awful. I
    should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it should
    have been used. My daughter has moved on and is now in college and doing
    wonderfully. I still don't think JC meant what he said( although he will
    argue otherwise).

    I have to realize that not everyone thinks as I do.

    Hugs.

  13. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    JOLINDA RANEY wrote:

    > Well, you make a lot of sense. It just hit a nerve with me. I have a
    > beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago. She was
    > depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was awful.

    I lived with a depressed teen long enough to know how painful it is.
    It's the worst. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is okay now. Older
    and wiser, I hope.

    > should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it should
    > have been used.

    It's just that an entire newsgroup can be hijacked by one obnoxious
    miscreant if enough folks allow him to push their buttons. For those
    who use KF's, OT helps us to avoid reading a thread that's not about the
    topic we're expecting.

    > My daughter has moved on and is now in college and doing
    > wonderfully. I still don't think JC meant what he said( although he will
    > argue otherwise).
    >
    > I have to realize that not everyone thinks as I do.
    >
    > Hugs.

    I don't know or care if JC means any of what he says, he's a pathetic
    dunce, from what I recall, about junior high mentality, if we're feeling
    generous. :)

    I certainly didn't disagree with anything you had to say, just with the
    notion that saying it here, to him, was going to benefit anyone in any
    way, or make any kind of difference.

    I worked in mental health for many years. Folks don't kill themselves
    because someone who's obviously a jerk tells them to, they do it, or
    make attempts, for all sorts of other reasons. But I understand why
    that's a hot button for you.

    Susan

  14. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:01:19 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i use to use a coffee mug that had the names of all the GREAT COMPOSERS
    >who suffered from depression.
    >we are a talented lot!
    >;)

    Now they're decomposing composers.

    Kevin

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:01:19 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >i use to use a coffee mug that had the names of all the GREAT COMPOSERS
    > >who suffered from depression.
    > >we are a talented lot!
    > >;)

    > Now they're decomposing composers.
    >
    > Kevin

    And the music plays backwards...
    --
    Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:01:19 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >i use to use a coffee mug that had the names of all the GREAT COMPOSERS
    > >who suffered from depression.
    > >we are a talented lot!
    > >;)

    > Now they're decomposing composers.
    >
    > Kevin

    And the music plays backwards...
    --
    Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    Kevin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:01:19 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >i use to use a coffee mug that had the names of all the GREAT COMPOSERS
    > >who suffered from depression.
    > >we are a talented lot!
    > >;)

    > Now they're decomposing composers.
    >
    > Kevin

    And the music plays backwards...
    --
    Om.

  18. I value any farmer more than the group you named.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Are you a proponent of utilitarian bioethics, by any chance?
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Get to weepin'.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Doesn't matter if you would be impressed or not. You said "Those that
    >> > don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of us that
    >> > still have a zest for life."
    >> >
    >> > They (depressed people) don't JUST try to do suck your precious zestful
    >> > energy. They try, and accomplish, much more than that.
    >> >
    >> > Maybe you think the world would have been better off if Buzz Aldrin,
    >> > Stephen Hawking, Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, and Cole Porter had
    >> > just killed themselves whenever they had their first onset of
    >> > depression. If so, my heart weeps tears of bitter blood for the empty
    >> > hole where your soul should be.

    >> > --
    >> > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  19. He claimed that he would solve the unification theory problem.

    He still hasn't.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    news:[email protected]