depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He claimed that he would solve the unification theory problem.
    >
    > He still hasn't.

    Give him time... :)
    I think Hawking is probably one of the most brilliant minds the world
    has ever seen!

    If I were in his physical condition tho', I'd be pretty depressed.
    --
    Om.

  2. Luna

    Luna Guest

    That answers a question that wasn't asked. You're trying to make this
    about which people you, personally, value, and I'm talking about which
    people are valuable to our society. You made a claim that all that
    depressed people do is suck the the energy from non-depressed people,
    and I countered your claim with examples of depressed people who may
    very well do that, but who also do other things deemed valuable by our
    society. And these are just the famous ones. Anyone who has a job is
    doing something that someone else finds valuable, as are a lot of people
    who don't have jobs. Having depression does not negate worth or the
    possibility of success.

    In article <[email protected]vr12.news.prodigy.com>,

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  3. Farmers are more valuable to our society than any of the people you named.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That answers a question that wasn't asked. You're trying to make this
    > about which people you, personally, value, and I'm talking about which
    > people are valuable to our society. You made a claim that all that
    > depressed people do is suck the the energy from non-depressed people,
    > and I countered your claim with examples of depressed people who may
    > very well do that, but who also do other things deemed valuable by our
    > society. And these are just the famous ones. Anyone who has a job is
    > doing something that someone else finds valuable, as are a lot of people
    > who don't have jobs. Having depression does not negate worth or the
    > possibility of success.
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I value any farmer more than the group you named.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Are you a proponent of utilitarian bioethics, by any chance?

    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  4. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Sure, a legitimate argument could be made for that. We definitely need
    people to accept those government subsidies not to grow crops. ;0)

    More seriously though, I get what you mean. We need food to live, we
    don't need music, art, literature, or science to live. Those are the
    things we stay alive _for_. Less valuable? Maybe. Not valuable at all?
    No.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Farmers are more valuable to our society than any of the people you named.
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > That answers a question that wasn't asked. You're trying to make this
    > > about which people you, personally, value, and I'm talking about which
    > > people are valuable to our society. You made a claim that all that
    > > depressed people do is suck the the energy from non-depressed people,
    > > and I countered your claim with examples of depressed people who may
    > > very well do that, but who also do other things deemed valuable by our
    > > society. And these are just the famous ones. Anyone who has a job is
    > > doing something that someone else finds valuable, as are a lot of people
    > > who don't have jobs. Having depression does not negate worth or the
    > > possibility of success.
    > >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I value any farmer more than the group you named.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    > >>

    > >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  5. On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:49 -0700, "JOLINDA RANEY"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a
    >beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago. She was
    >depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was awful. I
    >should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it should
    >have been used. My daughter has moved on and is now in college and doing
    >wonderfully.

    I'm glad your daughter was able to be helped and has moved on. I'm
    sure her supportive family helped her a great deal.

    My family was rocked last year by the suicide of my sister. 15 months
    on, the pain of that death has barely subsided, and I find it hard to
    even think of her without tears.

    Suicide is incredibly painful for those left behind, wondering what we
    could have done to avoid this, what we left undone that would have
    helped her cope better, why she hated us so much she could think of
    leaving us without so much as a hint that her mind was veering this
    way ... It's taken a lot of help from a very good psychiatrist to
    stop me from considering following her, so deep has the pain been from
    her loss.

    Aramanth

  6. "Aramanth Dawe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:49 -0700, "JOLINDA RANEY"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a
    >>beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago. She was
    >>depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was awful. I
    >>should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it
    >>should
    >>have been used. My daughter has moved on and is now in college and doing
    >>wonderfully.

    > I'm glad your daughter was able to be helped and has moved on. I'm
    > sure her supportive family helped her a great deal.
    >
    > My family was rocked last year by the suicide of my sister. 15 months
    > on, the pain of that death has barely subsided, and I find it hard to
    > even think of her without tears.
    >
    > Suicide is incredibly painful for those left behind, wondering what we
    > could have done to avoid this, what we left undone that would have
    > helped her cope better, why she hated us so much she could think of
    > leaving us without so much as a hint that her mind was veering this
    > way ... It's taken a lot of help from a very good psychiatrist to
    > stop me from considering following her, so deep has the pain been from
    > her loss.
    >
    > Aramanth

    Aramanth,

    I am very, very sorry. I can feel your pain thru your writing. I had a
    cousin commit suicide years ago, and his family felt much like you are
    feeling. I am glad you are seeing a psychiatrist----you would be deeply
    missed. Remember that there are people that love you.

    My daughter actually tried 2 times. The first time it was worse. She spent 9
    days in the hospital. I seen the signs, but could not get any help. I tried
    to get her admitted for depression, but since she was over 13, they wouldn't
    admit her unless she willing wanted to. She was 16! A minor, and was able to
    make choices for herself. We got an attorney, filed papers thru the court,
    etc. I told her bio father not to leave for vacation( the signs were there
    that she was going to do something), and he thought it was a bunch of bull.
    The next morning I found her. I checked on her all night, but eventually
    fell asleep. Thankfully she is better now and knows how valuable life is. I
    lived thru hell for 2yrs worrying about her. I still worry, but it's not as
    bad.

    Once again, I am sorry for your loss.

    Hugs.

  7. i advise non-exercisers to start slowly, and NOT overwhelm themselves
    with "commitment"........................that often times is a sure set
    up for failure.

    ASD and ASD-LC taught me that............i started VERY slowly!

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > rosie read n' post <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> no roger, that was my suggestion to crystal.
    > :> when i walk i do two miles (4mph) this week i start back with

    regular
    > :> water aerobics and a yoga/pilates class.
    >
    > Ah...makes sense now....I thought something was wrong with that

    picture.

  8. ((((((((((((((((((((((((aramanth)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    --

    "no duh!"
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/bush.poll.ap/index.html

    "Aramanth Dawe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:49 -0700, "JOLINDA RANEY"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a
    > >beautiful, talented daughter who tried to commit suicide 2yrs ago.

    She was
    > >depressed over a break-up with a boy( her first love), and it was

    awful. I
    > >should have not responded. I am sorry about not using OT---I agree it

    should
    > >have been used. My daughter has moved on and is now in college and

    doing
    > >wonderfully.

    > I'm glad your daughter was able to be helped and has moved on. I'm
    > sure her supportive family helped her a great deal.
    >
    > My family was rocked last year by the suicide of my sister. 15 months
    > on, the pain of that death has barely subsided, and I find it hard to
    > even think of her without tears.
    >
    > Suicide is incredibly painful for those left behind, wondering what we
    > could have done to avoid this, what we left undone that would have
    > helped her cope better, why she hated us so much she could think of
    > leaving us without so much as a hint that her mind was veering this
    > way ... It's taken a lot of help from a very good psychiatrist to
    > stop me from considering following her, so deep has the pain been from
    > her loss.
    >
    > Aramanth

  9. Crystal...are you taking an anti depressant? You might need to consider
    it--

    LassChance

  10. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Haven't you noticed? JC is the master of non sequiturs.

    In news:[email protected],
    Luna <[email protected]> stated
    | That answers a question that wasn't asked. You're trying to make this
    | about which people you, personally, value, and I'm talking about which
    | people are valuable to our society. You made a claim that all that
    | depressed people do is suck the the energy from non-depressed people,
    | and I countered your claim with examples of depressed people who may
    | very well do that, but who also do other things deemed valuable by our
    | society. And these are just the famous ones. Anyone who has a job is
    | doing something that someone else finds valuable, as are a lot of
    | people who don't have jobs. Having depression does not negate worth
    | or the possibility of success.

  11. Generally, der Koneheads " advice" is, "kill yourself".

    Do yourself a big favor, Crystal---ignore him. It's the abundance of
    mega Assholes like him that MAKE us depressed.....

    I've been on Prozac for years---it really makes a big difference. A year
    is way too long to suffer from the crippling and life-stealing effects
    of clinical depresion.

    Why not give the anti-d's a try?

    LassChance

    Re: depression and low carb dieting?

    Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Sun, Sep 11, 2005, 7:35pm (EDT+4)
    From: [email protected] (Crystal)
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:CD%[email protected]
    If you can't even learn to capitalize, you might as well not even exist.
    You are not too smart yourself, otherwise you would know not to say
    something like that to a person stating that they are depressed.

  12. Oh, not true! YOUR death, for instance, would improve the world
    considerably, JC.....while your continued living doesnt help anyone.

    LassChance

    Re: depression and low carb dieting?

    Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Sun, Sep 11, 2005, 7:58pm (EDT+4)
    From: [email protected] (JC Der Koenig)
    There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really
    going to matter.
    --

  13. God, JC. You POOR sap. Do you really believe YOU have a "zest for
    life"?

    Man....you don't. YOU're the fly in the honey.

    YOU are the energy-sucker, the psychic vampire, spreading your
    ever-ready venom on everybody who DOES want to enjoy life. Don't you
    know that?
    I mean, really....don't you KNOW that?

    LassChance

    Re: depression and low carb dieting?

    Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Sun, Sep 11, 2005, 11:36pm
    (EDT+4) From: [email protected] (JC Der Koenig)
    Those that don't want to live just try to suck the energy from those of
    us that still have a zest for life.
    Do you condone that?
    --

  14. Fat chance, webtv idiot.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    news:[email protected]

    From: [email protected] (JC Der Koenig)
    There are over 6 billion people on this earth. One less is not really
    going to matter.
    --

  15. Have you lost any weight lately?

    --
[...]

  16. I value the guy who picks up my garbage much more than anyone on your list.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sure, a legitimate argument could be made for that. We definitely need
    > people to accept those government subsidies not to grow crops. ;0)
    >
    > More seriously though, I get what you mean. We need food to live, we
    > don't need music, art, literature, or science to live. Those are the
    > things we stay alive _for_. Less valuable? Maybe. Not valuable at all?
    > No.
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Farmers are more valuable to our society than any of the people you
    >> named.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > That answers a question that wasn't asked. You're trying to make this
    >> > about which people you, personally, value, and I'm talking about which
    >> > people are valuable to our society. You made a claim that all that
    >> > depressed people do is suck the the energy from non-depressed people,
    >> > and I countered your claim with examples of depressed people who may
    >> > very well do that, but who also do other things deemed valuable by our
    >> > society. And these are just the famous ones. Anyone who has a job is
    >> > doing something that someone else finds valuable, as are a lot of
    >> > people
    >> > who don't have jobs. Having depression does not negate worth or the
    >> > possibility of success.

    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  17. Luna

    Luna Guest

    So what? Who cares what you value? You as much as said that depressed
    people are worthless, so therefore I could name any person, any at all,
    and if I give evidence that they have depression then you'd claim you
    don't value them, just so you can go on claiming no depressed person
    could ever have any worth. If you found out tomorrow that your
    garbageman was depressed, you'd never go "Whoops! Guess I was wrong!
    Depressed people can have value to me!" Instead you'd just change your
    mind and say you don't value him at all.

    You're just like my sister, when she said she hated cheese but then said
    she loved my scrambled eggs. When I told her they had cheese in them,
    she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I value the guy who picks up my garbage much more than anyone on your list.
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >

    > "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Sure, a legitimate argument could be made for that. We definitely need
    > > people to accept those government subsidies not to grow crops. ;0)
    > >
    > > More seriously though, I get what you mean. We need food to live, we
    > > don't need music, art, literature, or science to live. Those are the
    > > things we stay alive _for_. Less valuable? Maybe. Not valuable at all?
    > > No.
    > >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Farmers are more valuable to our society than any of the people you
    > >> named.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    > >>

    > >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > > --
    > > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  18. I value everyone who works at the waterworks more than anyone on your list.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So what? Who cares what you value? You as much as said that depressed
    > people are worthless, so therefore I could name any person, any at all,
    > and if I give evidence that they have depression then you'd claim you
    > don't value them, just so you can go on claiming no depressed person
    > could ever have any worth. If you found out tomorrow that your
    > garbageman was depressed, you'd never go "Whoops! Guess I was wrong!
    > Depressed people can have value to me!" Instead you'd just change your
    > mind and say you don't value him at all.
    >
    > You're just like my sister, when she said she hated cheese but then said
    > she loved my scrambled eggs. When I told her they had cheese in them,
    > she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I value the guy who picks up my garbage much more than anyone on your
    >> list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >>

    >> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Sure, a legitimate argument could be made for that. We definitely need
    >> > people to accept those government subsidies not to grow crops. ;0)
    >> >
    >> > More seriously though, I get what you mean. We need food to live, we
    >> > don't need music, art, literature, or science to live. Those are the
    >> > things we stay alive _for_. Less valuable? Maybe. Not valuable at
    >> > all?
    >> > No.

    >> > --
    >> > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna <[email protected]com> wrote:
    :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.

    Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)