depression and low carb dieting?

Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
:> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
:> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
:> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.

Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
> :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
> :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
>
> Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
> one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point in
one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the amount
of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
qualification.

For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it is
low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

Luna wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
:::
::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
::
:: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
:: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
:: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
:: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you
:: can make your point" qualification.

JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is misunderstood by
folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too lazy in mind to get his
point said on the first go-around.

::
:: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
:: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
:: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
:: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
:: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
:: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
:: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
:: statement makes more sense.

More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in question were
simply "bread" there would have been little need to put the "low-carb" in
front of "bread" in the first place.

In article <[email protected]>,
Luna <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
> > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
> > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
> >
> > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
> > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

> I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point in
> one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the amount
> of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
> debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
> qualification.
>
> For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
> chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
> misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
> backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
> of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
> he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it is
> low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.

Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a *****,
so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies. <lol>

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Luna wrote:
> :: In article <[email protected]>,
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::
> ::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
> ::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
> ::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
> :::
> ::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
> ::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
> ::
> :: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
> :: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
> :: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
> :: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you
> :: can make your point" qualification.
>
> JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is misunderstood by
> folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too lazy in mind to get his
> point said on the first go-around.

He's not lazy, he gets off on being misunderstood.
It's a game to him.

But I'm sure you knew that. ;-)

> ::
> :: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
> :: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
> :: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
> :: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
> :: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
> :: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
> :: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
> :: statement makes more sense.
>
> More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in question were
> simply "bread" there would have been little need to put the "low-carb" in
> front of "bread" in the first place.

He's JC...
A law unto himself.

Are we _really_ going to start another thread about the list troll?
We are just feeding him ya know!

Cheers!

--

::: Luna wrote:
::::: In article <[email protected]>,
::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
:::::
:::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
:::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
:::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
:::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
::::::
[...]

He's a lazy troll....

::
:::
:::::
[...]

Well, this is a degenerative thread, not a new one. So it's okay.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> :: In article <[email protected]>,
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::
> ::: Luna wrote:
> ::::: In article <[email protected]>,
> ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> :::::
> :::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> :::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
> :::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
> :::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
> ::::::
> :::::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
> :::::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
> :::::
> ::::: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
> ::::: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
> ::::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
> ::::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
> ::::: you can make your point" qualification.
> :::
> ::: JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is
> ::: misunderstood by folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too
> ::: lazy in mind to get his point said on the first go-around.
> ::
> :: He's not lazy, he gets off on being misunderstood.
> :: It's a game to him.
> ::
> :: But I'm sure you knew that. ;-)
>
> He's a lazy troll....

True...

He's getting a bit dry.
Needs to come up with some new material!

> ::
> :::
> :::::
> ::::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
> ::::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
> ::::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
> ::::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
> ::::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
> ::::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
> ::::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
> ::::: statement makes more sense.
> :::
> ::: More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in
> ::: question were simply "bread" there would have been little need to
> ::: put the "low-carb" in front of "bread" in the first place.
> ::
> :: He's JC...
> :: A law unto himself.
> ::
> :: Are we _really_ going to start another thread about the list troll?
> :: We are just feeding him ya know!
>
> Well, this is a degenerative thread, not a new one. So it's okay.

Okay. ;-)

Cheers!

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:49:40 GMT, "Crystal"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
>articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
>make you feel better.
>
>I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
>diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
>has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
>low carb. What to do.... what to do

Years ago, I found I would get depressed on any diet, so I felt I had
no alternative but to overeat. Now that I have had success in getting
my depression and my overeating treated, I realize I was medicating
my depression with food. If you have to overeat to avoid depression,
you are depressed. Get treatment for depression from a qualified
doctor.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
rkinserlow at cox dot net
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

*shrug* ***** or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.

--

Luna wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: In article
::: <[email protected]>, Luna
::: <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
:::: In article <[email protected]>,
:::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
::::
::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

Well, good luck with that!

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:49:40 GMT, "Crystal"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
>>articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
>>make you feel better.
>>
>>I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
>>diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
>>has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
>>low carb. What to do.... what to do

> Years ago, I found I would get depressed on any diet, so I felt I had
> no alternative but to overeat. Now that I have had success in getting
> my depression and my overeating treated, I realize I was medicating
> my depression with food. If you have to overeat to avoid depression,
> you are depressed. Get treatment for depression from a qualified
> doctor.
>
> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

I have read where it is alleged that habits like smoking are also
attempts to self medicate.... sometimes for depression.

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

A lazy mind is one that can't fill in the blanks after reading a pointed
sentence or two.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
> :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
> :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
>
> Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
> one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

Do you believe that you make sense?

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> :::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
> :::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
> :::: you can make your point" qualification.
> ::::
> :::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
> :::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
> :::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
> :::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
> :::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
> :::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
> :::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
> :::: statement makes more sense.
> :::
> ::: Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a

<lol>!!!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Hmmm, that's interesting. I can't say that I've been depressed, but I did
start to smoke more shortly after starting LC. I posted a message here
about it and a few people said it could be that I was replacing food with
cigarettes, that's not it. I've never been an overeater and actually eat
more now than I did pre-LC. But I still haven't figured out why my
cigarette usage has almost doubled.

on Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:22:41 -0500, jbuch <jbuch@CUT_HERE.revealed.net>
wrote:

>I have read where it is alleged that habits like smoking are also
>attempts to self medicate.... sometimes for depression.

-----
Bev

Yes. I make all sorts of sense. I'm quite comfortable with logical
thought, yet I also know when logic runs out of usefulness.

For instance, my boss and I got into a heated debate today about the
movie "Grease", and why I think it sucks, and why she thinks it rules.
I had plenty of evidence and logic to back up my position that the core
message of "Grease" is that to find true love you need to act like a ho,
but logic couldn't help me with my point that the music sucked too. The
former could be backed up with actual evidence from the movie, while the
latter is purely my subjective opinion.

=

> > *shrug* ***** or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

There's your first mistake.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes. I make all sorts of sense. I'm quite comfortable with logical
> thought, yet I also know when logic runs out of usefulness.

Communication is a two way street. Both the speaker and the listener
have to bring something to the table, both have to put forth some
effort. My opinion is that the greater percentage of the burden should
fall on the speaker (or writer, in this case) to make things easy to
understand than on the listener (reader) to "fill in the blanks," as you
say. In a written medium it's even more important to be clear, since we
lack the benefit of non-verbal signs as an aid to understanding.

I for one, just out of interest, would like to know in more detail your
thought process that brought you to the opinions you have on low-carb
dieting. Do you take your position on low-carb "breads" and such like
because you believe they are actually higher in carbs than the labels
say? Or is it because you believe if people overate the original
versions, then psychologically they'll be prone to overeat the
"low-carb" versions too? Or is it just that you tend towards the
Spartan ideal of getting by on the bare minimum and you see "low-carb"
products as a luxury that the overweight individual should shun?

In article <[email protected]>,
"JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

> A lazy mind is one that can't fill in the blanks after reading a pointed
> sentence or two.
>
> --
> Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
>

> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
> > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
> > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
> > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
> >
> > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
> > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

Yes.