depression and low carb dieting?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Crystal, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.

    Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
     


  2. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    >
    > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)


    I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point in
    one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the amount
    of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
    debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
    qualification.

    For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
    of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
    he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it is
    low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
     
  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna wrote:
    :: In article <[email protected]>,
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    ::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    ::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    :::
    ::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    ::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    ::
    :: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    :: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    :: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    :: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you
    :: can make your point" qualification.

    JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is misunderstood by
    folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too lazy in mind to get his
    point said on the first go-around.

    ::
    :: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    :: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    :: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    :: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    :: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    :: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    :: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    :: statement makes more sense.

    More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in question were
    simply "bread" there would have been little need to put the "low-carb" in
    front of "bread" in the first place.
     
  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Luna <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > >
    > > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    > > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

    >
    > I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point in
    > one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the amount
    > of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
    > debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
    > qualification.
    >
    > For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    > chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    > misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    > backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
    > of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
    > he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it is
    > low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.


    Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a prick,
    so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies. <lol>

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luna wrote:
    > :: In article <[email protected]>,
    > :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    > ::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    > ::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > :::
    > ::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    > ::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    > ::
    > :: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    > :: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    > :: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    > :: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you
    > :: can make your point" qualification.
    >
    > JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is misunderstood by
    > folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too lazy in mind to get his
    > point said on the first go-around.


    He's not lazy, he gets off on being misunderstood.
    It's a game to him.

    But I'm sure you knew that. ;-)

    >
    > ::
    > :: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    > :: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    > :: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    > :: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    > :: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    > :: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    > :: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    > :: statement makes more sense.
    >
    > More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in question were
    > simply "bread" there would have been little need to put the "low-carb" in
    > front of "bread" in the first place.


    He's JC...
    A law unto himself.

    Are we _really_ going to start another thread about the list troll?
    We are just feeding him ya know!

    Cheers!


    >
    >

    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email protected]>,
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Luna wrote:
    ::::: In article <[email protected]>,
    ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::::
    :::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    :::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    :::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    ::::::
    :::::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    :::::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    :::::
    ::::: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    ::::: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    ::::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    ::::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
    ::::: you can make your point" qualification.
    :::
    ::: JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is
    ::: misunderstood by folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too
    ::: lazy in mind to get his point said on the first go-around.
    ::
    :: He's not lazy, he gets off on being misunderstood.
    :: It's a game to him.
    ::
    :: But I'm sure you knew that. ;-)

    He's a lazy troll....

    ::
    :::
    :::::
    ::::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    ::::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    ::::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    ::::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    ::::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    ::::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    ::::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    ::::: statement makes more sense.
    :::
    ::: More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in
    ::: question were simply "bread" there would have been little need to
    ::: put the "low-carb" in front of "bread" in the first place.
    ::
    :: He's JC...
    :: A law unto himself.
    ::
    :: Are we _really_ going to start another thread about the list troll?
    :: We are just feeding him ya know!

    Well, this is a degenerative thread, not a new one. So it's okay.
     
  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > :: In article <[email protected]>,
    > :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: Luna wrote:
    > ::::: In article <[email protected]>,
    > ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :::::
    > :::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    > :::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    > :::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > ::::::
    > :::::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    > :::::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    > :::::
    > ::::: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    > ::::: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    > ::::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    > ::::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
    > ::::: you can make your point" qualification.
    > :::
    > ::: JC mostly converses one-sentence replies and he mostly is
    > ::: misunderstood by folks who don't know this style. Hence, he is too
    > ::: lazy in mind to get his point said on the first go-around.
    > ::
    > :: He's not lazy, he gets off on being misunderstood.
    > :: It's a game to him.
    > ::
    > :: But I'm sure you knew that. ;-)
    >
    > He's a lazy troll....


    True...

    He's getting a bit dry.
    Needs to come up with some new material!

    >
    > ::
    > :::
    > :::::
    > ::::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    > ::::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    > ::::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    > ::::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    > ::::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    > ::::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    > ::::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    > ::::: statement makes more sense.
    > :::
    > ::: More sense, perhaps, but not a lot of sense. If the item in
    > ::: question were simply "bread" there would have been little need to
    > ::: put the "low-carb" in front of "bread" in the first place.
    > ::
    > :: He's JC...
    > :: A law unto himself.
    > ::
    > :: Are we _really_ going to start another thread about the list troll?
    > :: We are just feeding him ya know!
    >
    > Well, this is a degenerative thread, not a new one. So it's okay.


    Okay. ;-)

    Cheers!

    >
    >
    >

    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  8. On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:49:40 GMT, "Crystal"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    >articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    >make you feel better.
    >
    >I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    >diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    >has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    >low carb. What to do.... what to do


    Years ago, I found I would get depressed on any diet, so I felt I had
    no alternative but to overeat. Now that I have had success in getting
    my depression and my overeating treated, I realize I was medicating
    my depression with food. If you have to overeat to avoid depression,
    you are depressed. Get treatment for depression from a qualified
    doctor.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas
    rkinserlow at cox dot net
    homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
    >
     
  9. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > > > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > > > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > > >
    > > > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    > > > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)

    > >
    > > I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point in
    > > one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the amount
    > > of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
    > > debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
    > > qualification.
    > >
    > > For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    > > chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    > > misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    > > backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
    > > of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
    > > he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it is
    > > low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.

    >
    > Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a prick,
    > so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies. <lol>
    >
    > Cheers!


    *shrug* Prick or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.

    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
     
  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luna wrote:
    :: In article <[email protected]>,
    :: OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: In article
    ::: <[email protected]>, Luna
    ::: <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::
    :::: In article <[email protected].supernews.com>,
    :::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::::
    ::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    ::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    ::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    :::::
    ::::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    ::::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    ::::
    :::: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    :::: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    :::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    :::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
    :::: you can make your point" qualification.
    ::::
    :::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    :::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    :::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    :::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    :::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    :::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    :::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    :::: statement makes more sense.
    :::
    ::: Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a
    ::: prick, so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies.
    ::: <lol>
    :::
    ::: Cheers!
    ::
    :: *shrug* Prick or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.

    Well, good luck with that!
     
  11. Luna

    Luna Guest

  12. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:49:40 GMT, "Crystal"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I have been increasingly depressed over the last year. I just read a couple
    >>articles on Serotonin and what foods help raise Serotonin levels and can
    >>make you feel better.
    >>
    >>I have been on a low carb diet for a year or so. They suggest a HIGH carb
    >>diet to raise Serotonin levels. So perhaps my increasingly depressed mood
    >>has been because of my low carb diet. However, I only can lose weight on
    >>low carb. What to do.... what to do

    >
    >
    > Years ago, I found I would get depressed on any diet, so I felt I had
    > no alternative but to overeat. Now that I have had success in getting
    > my depression and my overeating treated, I realize I was medicating
    > my depression with food. If you have to overeat to avoid depression,
    > you are depressed. Get treatment for depression from a qualified
    > doctor.
    >
    > Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    > Lubbock, Texas
    > rkinserlow at cox dot net
    > homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
    >


    I have read where it is alleged that habits like smoking are also
    attempts to self medicate.... sometimes for depression.



    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
    3) Don't Diet Without Supplimental Nutrients... Chapter 23 title, Atkins
    book
    4) A sensible eating plan, and follow it. (Atkins, Self Made or Other)
     
  13. A lazy mind is one that can't fill in the blanks after reading a pointed
    sentence or two.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW


    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    >
    > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    >
     
  14. Do you believe that you make sense?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW


    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <[email protected]>,
    >> > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> > > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to
    >> > > an
    >> > > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to
    >> > > the
    >> > > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    >> > >
    >> > > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    >> > > usenet in
    >> > > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    >> >
    >> > I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your point
    >> > in
    >> > one sentence, you're just being economical with words. Given the
    >> > amount
    >> > of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify his original point in
    >> > debates, he's usually not meeting the "if you can make your point"
    >> > qualification.
    >> >
    >> > For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    >> > chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    >> > misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    >> > backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the varieties
    >> > of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the labels. Then when
    >> > he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is not low-carb, so if it
    >> > is
    >> > low-carb it isn't bread" the original statement makes more sense.

    >>
    >> Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a prick,
    >> so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies. <lol>
    >>
    >> Cheers!

    >
    > *shrug* Prick or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
     
  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Luna wrote:
    > :: In article <[email protected]>,
    > :: OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: In article
    > ::: <[email protected]>, Luna
    > ::: <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :::
    > :::: In article <[email protected]>,
    > :::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::::
    > ::::: Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ::::::: she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded
    > ::::::: to an opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with
    > ::::::: facts to the contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > :::::
    > ::::: Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on
    > ::::: usenet in one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    > ::::
    > :::: I don't think I agree with that. Mostly. If you can make your
    > :::: point in one sentence, you're just being economical with words.
    > :::: Given the amount of posts JC often has to make in order to clarify
    > :::: his original point in debates, he's usually not meeting the "if
    > :::: you can make your point" qualification.
    > ::::
    > :::: For example, when someone is talking about "low-carb bread" and JC
    > :::: chimes in with "Bread is not low-carb," the point can be easily
    > :::: misunderstood by new people who think JC maybe lives out in the
    > :::: backwoods somewhere where the grocery stores don't carry the
    > :::: varieties of bread with "Low Net Carbs!" printed all over the
    > :::: labels. Then when he clarifies it in another post with "Bread is
    > :::: not low-carb, so if it is low-carb it isn't bread" the original
    > :::: statement makes more sense.
    > :::
    > ::: Except that the rest of us all know that JC gets off on being a
    > ::: prick, so we take the time to explain it to poor innocent newbies.
    > ::: <lol>
    > :::
    > ::: Cheers!
    > ::
    > :: *shrug* Prick or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.
    >
    > Well, good luck with that!
    >
    >


    <lol>!!!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  16. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    Hmmm, that's interesting. I can't say that I've been depressed, but I did
    start to smoke more shortly after starting LC. I posted a message here
    about it and a few people said it could be that I was replacing food with
    cigarettes, that's not it. I've never been an overeater and actually eat
    more now than I did pre-LC. But I still haven't figured out why my
    cigarette usage has almost doubled.

    on Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:22:41 -0500, jbuch <[email protected]_HERE.revealed.net>
    wrote:

    >I have read where it is alleged that habits like smoking are also
    >attempts to self medicate.... sometimes for depression.

    -----
    Bev
     
  17. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Yes. I make all sorts of sense. I'm quite comfortable with logical
    thought, yet I also know when logic runs out of usefulness.

    For instance, my boss and I got into a heated debate today about the
    movie "Grease", and why I think it sucks, and why she thinks it rules.
    I had plenty of evidence and logic to back up my position that the core
    message of "Grease" is that to find true love you need to act like a ho,
    but logic couldn't help me with my point that the music sucked too. The
    former could be backed up with actual evidence from the movie, while the
    latter is purely my subjective opinion.


    In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you believe that you make sense?
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >
    >
    > "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    =
    > >
    > > *shrug* Prick or not, I don't care. I just want people to make sense.


    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
     
  18. There's your first mistake.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW


    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yes. I make all sorts of sense. I'm quite comfortable with logical
    > thought, yet I also know when logic runs out of usefulness.
    >
     
  19. Luna

    Luna Guest

    Communication is a two way street. Both the speaker and the listener
    have to bring something to the table, both have to put forth some
    effort. My opinion is that the greater percentage of the burden should
    fall on the speaker (or writer, in this case) to make things easy to
    understand than on the listener (reader) to "fill in the blanks," as you
    say. In a written medium it's even more important to be clear, since we
    lack the benefit of non-verbal signs as an aid to understanding.

    I for one, just out of interest, would like to know in more detail your
    thought process that brought you to the opinions you have on low-carb
    dieting. Do you take your position on low-carb "breads" and such like
    because you believe they are actually higher in carbs than the labels
    say? Or is it because you believe if people overate the original
    versions, then psychologically they'll be prone to overeat the
    "low-carb" versions too? Or is it just that you tend towards the
    Spartan ideal of getting by on the bare minimum and you see "low-carb"
    products as a luxury that the overweight individual should shun?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A lazy mind is one that can't fill in the blanks after reading a pointed
    > sentence or two.
    >
    > --
    > Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
    >
    >
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Luna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > :> she all of a sudden said she didn't like them. Being so wedded to an
    > > :> opinion that you can't let go of it when presented with facts to the
    > > :> contrary is one sign of a lazy mind.
    > >
    > > Another sign of a lazy mind is someone who mostly converses on usenet in
    > > one-sentence replies. Mostly, that is. :)
    > >


    --
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
     
  20. Yes.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW


    "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > I for one, just out of interest, would like to know in more detail your
    > thought process that brought you to the opinions you have on low-carb
    > dieting. Do you take your position on low-carb "breads" and such like
    > because you believe they are actually higher in carbs than the labels
    > say? Or is it because you believe if people overate the original
    > versions, then psychologically they'll be prone to overeat the
    > "low-carb" versions too? Or is it just that you tend towards the
    > Spartan ideal of getting by on the bare minimum and you see "low-carb"
    > products as a luxury that the overweight individual should shun?
    >
     
Loading...