Der Jan is back

Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!

Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
having won stages in all three Grand Tours.

Ben

[email protected] wrote:
> Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!
>
> Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
> having won stages in all three Grand Tours.
>
> Ben

Who knew that Jan could TT like that?

51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

[email protected] wrote:
> Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
> having won stages in all three Grand Tours.

Rasmussen is a good candidate to join him. He is
now 50 minutes back. That means if he decides to
test his legs in the mountains no one will be too
concerned by it.

Bob Schwartz

Robert Chung wrote:

> Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>
> 51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

He may have been assisted by a tailwind the whole course. Wind was
coming from the East during the morning and from the West at the end of
the TT. Did Ullrich benefit from the transition?
http://usuarios.lycos.es/jenko/pontedera.png

I don't think so. But Pinotti certainly did.

Jenko

Robert Chung wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!
>>
>>Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
>>having won stages in all three Grand Tours.
>>
>>Ben

> Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>
> 51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

Plot a graph, and if he's outwith 2 std deviations of the mean, I'll buy
you a coffee.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!
>>
>> Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
>> having won stages in all three Grand Tours.
>>
>> Ben

> Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>
> 51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

Climbing come July??

Robert Chung wrote:
> Who knew that Jan could TT like that?

Somehow, I just *knew* someone would say that... :)

~bob

On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:39:25 GMT, Bob Schwartz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
>> having won stages in all three Grand Tours.

>Rasmussen is a good candidate to join him. He is
>now 50 minutes back. That means if he decides to
>test his legs in the mountains no one will be too
>concerned by it.

Rasmussen will not start tomorrow.

--
Slet transportmidlet før dk
__o

Robert Chung wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!
> >
> > Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
> > having won stages in all three Grand Tours.
> >
> > Ben

> Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>
> 51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

Please, oh please, tell me you were being sarcastic.

The better question is who knew Ivan could TT like that?

Fred

[email protected] wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>>Tremble, Masters Fatties! Der Kaiser fahrt zuruck!
>>>Jan Ullrich has now caught up to David Zabriskie,
>>>having won stages in all three Grand Tours.
>>>
>>>Ben

>>Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>>
>>51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?

> Please, oh please, tell me you were being sarcastic.
> The better question is who knew Ivan could TT like that?
>
> Fred

Somebody's been hangin' out in the wind tunnel! :)

~bob

Stu Fleming wrote:
> Plot a graph, and if he's outwith 2 std deviations of the mean, I'll buy
> you a coffee.

To be consumed using the rear orifice ?

> Please, oh please, tell me you were being sarcastic.
>
> The better question is who knew Ivan could TT like that?
>
> Fred

*Bangs head on Keyboard*

Actually all those who have been following profesional cycling know
this...

Last year he WON the TT in the Giro (not as long) and scored a whopping
5th in the final TT of the TdF (wich was considering the competition
just as good as this 2nd spot).

He won a few other TT's and Couple-TT's as well.

Donald Munro wrote:
> Stu Fleming wrote:
>
>>Plot a graph, and if he's outwith 2 std deviations of the mean, I'll buy
>>you a coffee.

> To be consumed using the rear orifice ?

I'm still trying to figure out what or who Stu means when he says "the
mean". If he'll accept me and my buddies as the mean, I'm pretty sure
Jan would finish 2+ std deviations ahead of the mean with one leg cut
off. If Stu is talking about the time trial at the Giro yesterday, I
don't have to plot anything to know that Ullrich was 3+ std deviations
ahead of the mean. Although, given the sample size, the .1% included in
the 4th quartile isn't big enough to hold all of Jan Ullrich. So we
have to cut his leg off again to fit him in. Don't feel bad for him
though. He had a chance to lose the weight before he showed up and...

Tim Lines wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
>
>> Stu Fleming wrote:
>>
>>> Plot a graph, and if he's outwith 2 std deviations of the mean, I'll
>>> buy you a coffee.

>> To be consumed using the rear orifice ?
>>

> I'm still trying to figure out what or who Stu means when he says "the
> mean". If he'll accept me and my buddies as the mean, I'm pretty sure
> Jan would finish 2+ std deviations ahead of the mean with one leg cut
> off. If Stu is talking about the time trial at the Giro yesterday, I
> don't have to plot anything to know that Ullrich was 3+ std deviations
> ahead of the mean. Although, given the sample size, the .1% included in
> the 4th quartile isn't big enough to hold all of Jan Ullrich. So we
> have to cut his leg off again to fit him in. Don't feel bad for him
> though. He had a chance to lose the weight before he showed up and...

OK, I did the math. Ullrich was at -2.83 standard deviations for time
(compared to the TT finishing times of all the riders). Taking the
average speeds of all the riders, Ullrich was at +3.07 standard
deviations (different number since time -> speed is a nonlinear
transformation).

Data taken from cyclingnew's results page.

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> Tim Lines wrote:
>> Donald Munro wrote:

>>> To be consumed using the rear orifice ?
>>>

>> I'm still trying to figure out what or who Stu means when he says "the
>> mean". If he'll accept me and my buddies as the mean, I'm pretty sure
>> Jan would finish 2+ std deviations ahead of the mean with one leg cut
>> off. If Stu is talking about the time trial at the Giro yesterday, I
>> don't have to plot anything to know that Ullrich was 3+ std deviations
>> ahead of the mean. Although, given the sample size, the .1% included
>> in the 4th quartile isn't big enough to hold all of Jan Ullrich. So
>> we have to cut his leg off again to fit him in. Don't feel bad for him
>> though. He had a chance to lose the weight before he showed up and...

> OK, I did the math. Ullrich was at -2.83 standard deviations for time
> (compared to the TT finishing times of all the riders). Taking the
> average speeds of all the riders, Ullrich was at +3.07 standard
> deviations (different number since time -> speed is a nonlinear
> transformation).

I was just doing intuitive stuff, picturing a bell curve and knowing
that Ullrich was crammed way up against the right end, knowing that the
fourth quartile is small and the sample size is relatively small too. So
I was just making stuff up. From your math, I surmise that .17 of
Ullrich is hanging out of that fourth quartile and into the third. So
it's probably not his entire leg. Probably only a couple toes.

Thanks for taking me seriously, it happens so rarely.

Mark Janeba wrote:

> OK, I did the math. Ullrich was at -2.83 standard deviations for time
> (compared to the TT finishing times of all the riders). Taking the
> average speeds of all the riders, Ullrich was at +3.07 standard
> deviations (different number since time -> speed is a nonlinear
> transformation).
>
> Data taken from cyclingnew's results page.
>
> Mark

Isn't speed = distance / time? Seems linear to me.

Dave

Nobody wrote:
> Mark Janeba wrote:
>
>> OK, I did the math. Ullrich was at -2.83 standard deviations for time
>> (compared to the TT finishing times of all the riders). Taking the
>> average speeds of all the riders, Ullrich was at +3.07 standard
>> deviations (different number since time -> speed is a nonlinear
>> transformation).
>>
>> Data taken from cyclingnew's results page.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Isn't speed = distance / time? Seems linear to me.
>
> Dave

Your formula is correct, your conclusion is wrong.

[Average] speed and *distance* are related by a linear transformation.
Speed and *time* are related by an inverse proportionality. (That's why
time is in the denominator).

Repeatedly adding a fixed amount to the time does *not* reduce the
resulting speed by a fixed amount, though it's close over the range of
(time,speed) data we see in the Giro TT. That makes the transformation
nonlinear.

To put it a different way, if you graph time versus speed (for a fixed
distance), the graph is not a line, though again, it's close for the
narrow range of times/speeds we see in this dataset. This *approximate*
linearity is why the two numbers in the original post are close to each
other.

Mark

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/giro06-11.png

Robert Chung wrote:
> Stu Fleming wrote:
>
>>Robert Chung wrote:

>>>Who knew that Jan could TT like that?
>>>
>>>51 kph, hmmm. La puissance d'Ullrich: est-elle humainement possible?
>>>

>>Plot a graph, and if he's outwith 2 std deviations of the mean, I'll buy
>>you a coffee.

> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/giro06-11.png

Gianni Bugno will be in touch regarding the cup of coffee.