Der / Shift combo - again!?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Brussee, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Brussee

Dan Brussee Guest

I absolutely KNOW I have seen the answer to this, but I want to be sure I understand it right. I
    have a road frame set up with MTB cranks and flat bars (Deore shifters w/8sp). I am considering
    going the full road setup and want to know what options I might have.

Current Cranks: Bontrager 46/32/22 MTB Shifters: Deore 8sp FDer: Deore BP/TS RDer: Shimano 105 long
    range Cassette: SRAM 8sp

Cheap Option Leave cranks, FDer, RDer Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp Cassette: ??? brand 9sp

Upgrade Option Cranks: 9sp (Sora, 105, Centaur??) Triple Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp FDer: (Something
    that fits) Cassette: ??? brand 9sp

Questions
    1. Can the 105 shifters move the existing Deore FDer correctly? I understand this may be a problem.

2. Will a Centaur front crank work well with shimano shifters?

3. The rear tire to frame clearance on the frame is pretty tight. I originally had an LX BS/BP FDer
    on it, but the tire was within a millimeter of the cable attachment bolt and rubbed under load.
    The existing Deore der works since it has a top swing and the mounting is much lower on the
    frame. If I can keep my existing cranks, I will probably want to keep the FDer too - but this
    assumes the STI shifters can pull the FDer correctly. If I need to switch cranks, I will need to
    find a FDer that fits the gap in the frame <sigh>. Allways something!!!! If it helps, the frame
    is a Marin Argenta with a 31.8 seat tube.

TIA, Dan

Tags:

2. Bruni

Bruni Guest

Consider keeping the crank/FD setup you have so worked to match; an11t cassette will net 113gear
    inches. Both your derailleurs will work with Campy. 10sp. The rear works best when you bypass the
    normal clamp zone and clamp @ >90deg to that groove. Somewhere there is a website that explains
    this,I know someone on this group can direct you. good luck, Tom

--
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420 Dan Brussee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I absolutely KNOW I have seen the answer to this, but I want to be sure I understand it right. I
    > have a road frame set up with MTB cranks and flat bars (Deore shifters w/8sp). I am considering
    > going the full road setup and want to know what options I might have.
    >
    > Current Cranks: Bontrager 46/32/22 MTB Shifters: Deore 8sp FDer: Deore BP/TS RDer: Shimano 105
    > long range Cassette: SRAM 8sp
    >
    > Cheap Option Leave cranks, FDer, RDer Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp Cassette: ??? brand 9sp
    >
    > Upgrade Option Cranks: 9sp (Sora, 105, Centaur??) Triple Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp FDer:
    > (Something that fits) Cassette: ??? brand 9sp
    >
    >
    > Questions
    > 1. Can the 105 shifters move the existing Deore FDer correctly? I understand this may be a
    > problem.
    >
    > 2. Will a Centaur front crank work well with shimano shifters?
    >
    > 3. The rear tire to frame clearance on the frame is pretty tight. I originally had an LX BS/BP
    > FDer on it, but the tire was within a millimeter of the cable attachment bolt and rubbed under
    > load. The existing Deore der works since it has a top swing and the mounting is much lower on
    > the frame. If I can keep my existing cranks, I will probably want to keep the FDer too - but
    > this assumes the STI shifters can pull the FDer correctly. If I need to switch cranks, I will
    > need to find a FDer that fits the gap in the frame <sigh>. Allways something!!!! If it helps,
    > the frame is a Marin Argenta with a 31.8 seat tube.
    >
    > TIA, Dan

3. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:26:17 +0000, Dan Brussee wrote:

> I absolutely KNOW I have seen the answer to this, but I want to be sure I understand it right. I
    > have a road frame set up with MTB cranks and flat bars (Deore shifters w/8sp). I am considering
    > going the full road setup and want to know what options I might have.

> Cheap Option Leave cranks, FDer, RDer Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp Cassette: ??? brand 9sp

A mountain front derailleur will not shift correctly with STI. Their mountain derailleurs require
    more cable pull than the road versions per shift. I have no idea why. There is one road derailleur
    that will work well with your current cranks, but I forget the name.

> 1. Can the 105 shifters move the existing Deore FDer correctly? I understand this may be a
    > problem.

problem. I have made it work the other way (mountain shifters, road derailleur), but too much throw
    is easier to restrain with the limit screws than too little.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
    you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

4. Dan Brussee

Dan Brussee Guest

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:48:01 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:26:17 +0000, Dan Brussee wrote:
    >
    >> I absolutely KNOW I have seen the answer to this, but I want to be sure I understand it right. I
    >> have a road frame set up with MTB cranks and flat bars (Deore shifters w/8sp). I am considering
    >> going the full road setup and want to know what options I might have.
    >
    >> Cheap Option Leave cranks, FDer, RDer Shifters: Shimano 105 9sp Cassette: ??? brand 9sp
    >
    >A mountain front derailleur will not shift correctly with STI. Their mountain derailleurs require
    >more cable pull than the road versions per shift. I have no idea why. There is one road derailleur
    >that will work well with your current cranks, but I forget the name.
    >
    >> 1. Can the 105 shifters move the existing Deore FDer correctly? I understand this may be a
    >> problem.
    >
    >problem. I have made it work the other way (mountain shifters, road derailleur), but too much throw
    >is easier to restrain with the limit screws than too little.

Thanks for the info. I thought that was what I remembered, so the switch will have me purchasing...

New cranks New FDer New Shifter New Cassette <sigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.