Derailer adjsutment, NEVER ENDING whats wrong)?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, May 28, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops are
    adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat and
    now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
    though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
    strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

    Tags:

  2. > I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
    > are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
    > and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
    > though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
    > strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

    The high/low stops have absolutely nothing to do with shifting performance anywhere except in the
    smallest and largest rear cogs; what you describe sounds like a problem with the cable adjustment.
    It's possible you have the cable routed incorrectly (above the bolt that binds it rather than below,
    or vice versa) or perhaps a compatibility issue between your derailleur and shift levers (unlikely
    as long as both are Shimano).

    What type of bike is it, and what derailleur?

    In the end, if this is a "NEVER ENDING" tale of woe, why not bring it into a bike shop and have
    someone there diagnose and/or take care of it? Probably a lot cheaper than rogaine...

  3. Billx

    Billx Guest

    Sounds like either your chain and/or cassette are worn and need to be replaced. Does the slip happen
    mostly on cogs you don't normally ride on?

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
    > are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
    > and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
    > though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
    > strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
    > are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
    > and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
    > though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
    > strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

    Classic symptom of worn teeth and/or chain

  5. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
    noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
    save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
    it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
    today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
    all from the same.

    Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
    repair my bike.

    Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

  6. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    well i figured out that the 5th, 6th cog are worn VERY badly. The thing is that it worked fine
    before. They are worn to the point that they look as ifthey were twisted which is what i first
    thought, but at closer inspection and cleaning i realized that they were worn. So it looks like the
    end of the line for this POS bike. I also found that 4th gear had a tooth missing. Nice
    craftsmanship. The thingthat gets me is that the wheel/cogs/chain only have about 400 miles on them.
    I think they should last a bit longer than that. But its walmart, so I guess you callthese bikes
    "disposable"

    Shit

  7. Sounds to me like those two cogs may be worn. Is it a new chain? Are the skips random, or is there a
    rhythm to them?

  8. You say on the 4 5 and 6th cogs the teeth are twisted? is it a used, or old bike? Because that
    sounds like Shimano's UniGlide design, and they haven't made those in years.

    Which would be a definite indication that they are worn. Try replacing them, That SHOULD slve
    the problem.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
    > noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
    > save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
    > it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
    > today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
    > all from the same.
    >
    > Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
    > repair my bike.
    >
    > Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

    Yes those skills don't wear out!

    Of all the problems you may have, the twisted teeth are not among them! That's a feature, clearly
    elucidated here by Gene Daniels yesterday.

    If his description went past you - it nearly escaped me - the Shimano freewheel and cassette cog
    design after the early eighties incorporated twisted teeth to aggressively assist the chain when
    shifting to a lower gear. It works as intended - very well- and is seen on Shimano products from the
    Z freewheel through the Dura Ace model.

    If your freewheel teeth are worn you can stil get a twist-tooth Shimano freewheel such as
    the MF-Z-102

  10. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    I have one of those and I had this same trouble with 4th.

    Try this: Put gear into 5th . Then adjust derailleur just for that gear and don't worry about the
    others. Things should be lined right up on that gear.

    Worked for me. These parts may say "Shimano" but they aren't like any other Shimano parts I have
    ever seen.

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
    > noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
    > save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
    > it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
    > today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
    > all from the same.
    >
    > Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
    > repair my bike.
    >
    > Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

  11. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    --Things should be lined right up on that gear.--

    Sorry. I meant to continue and say that the others might fall into place. That's what happened for
    me. A tooth missing is no big deal.

    "Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have one of those and I had this same trouble with 4th.
    >
    > Try this: Put gear into 5th . Then adjust derailleur just for that gear and
    don't
    > worry about the others. Things should be lined right up on that gear.
    >
    > Worked for me. These parts may say "Shimano" but they aren't like any other Shimano parts I have
    > ever seen.
    >
    > "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :(
    Where
    > > its such a POS I have noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may
    > > be my problem. Need to save up enough
    cash
    > > to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put it up for the
    > > winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more today. But
    > > its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is all from
    > > the same.
    > >
    > > Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
    > > repair my bike.
    > >
    > > Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

  12. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    They werent twisted jsut worn badly. Its a newer cassette so I dont think they should be like that.
    I was looking at bikes at walmart and I notice on of the higher quality (HAHAHAHAHA) bikes they have
    there has a nicer shimano cassette on it, but 4th gear and only 4th gear had twisted teeth?!?! Is
    that supposed to be like that, it was a 7 speed cassette.