Derailer adjsutment, NEVER ENDING whats wrong)?

Tj Poseno

Guest
I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops are
adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat and
now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

> I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
> are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
> and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
> though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
> strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

The high/low stops have absolutely nothing to do with shifting performance anywhere except in the
smallest and largest rear cogs; what you describe sounds like a problem with the cable adjustment.
It's possible you have the cable routed incorrectly (above the bolt that binds it rather than below,
or vice versa) or perhaps a compatibility issue between your derailleur and shift levers (unlikely
as long as both are Shimano).

What type of bike is it, and what derailleur?

In the end, if this is a "NEVER ENDING" tale of woe, why not bring it into a bike shop and have
someone there diagnose and/or take care of it? Probably a lot cheaper than rogaine...

Sounds like either your chain and/or cassette are worn and need to be replaced. Does the slip happen
mostly on cogs you don't normally ride on?

"TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
> are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
> and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
> though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
> strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

"TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I put a new derailer on my bike, and have the cable as tight as i can get it, my high/low stops
> are adjusted correctly and whats wrong is that i can spin the pedals as fast and as long as I wnat
> and now problems, but the seconc that I put torque on the chian, it slips (only in 5th/6th gear) I
> though that it may be a stuff link but cannot find any. Whats wrong, I only does it when I put
> strain on the chain. Its fine riding level, but the smallest hill will trigger it, whats wrong?

Classic symptom of worn teeth and/or chain

It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
all from the same.

Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
repair my bike.

Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

well i figured out that the 5th, 6th cog are worn VERY badly. The thing is that it worked fine
before. They are worn to the point that they look as ifthey were twisted which is what i first
thought, but at closer inspection and cleaning i realized that they were worn. So it looks like the
end of the line for this POS bike. I also found that 4th gear had a tooth missing. Nice
craftsmanship. The thingthat gets me is that the wheel/cogs/chain only have about 400 miles on them.
I think they should last a bit longer than that. But its walmart, so I guess you callthese bikes
"disposable"

****

Sounds to me like those two cogs may be worn. Is it a new chain? Are the skips random, or is there a
rhythm to them?

You say on the 4 5 and 6th cogs the teeth are twisted? is it a used, or old bike? Because that
sounds like Shimano's UniGlide design, and they haven't made those in years.

Which would be a definite indication that they are worn. Try replacing them, That SHOULD slve
the problem.

"TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
> noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
> save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
> it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
> today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
> all from the same.
>
> Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
> repair my bike.
>
> Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

Yes those skills don't wear out!

Of all the problems you may have, the twisted teeth are not among them! That's a feature, clearly
elucidated here by Gene Daniels yesterday.

If his description went past you - it nearly escaped me - the Shimano freewheel and cassette cog
design after the early eighties incorporated twisted teeth to aggressively assist the chain when
shifting to a lower gear. It works as intended - very well- and is seen on Shimano products from the
Z freewheel through the Dura Ace model.

If your freewheel teeth are worn you can stil get a twist-tooth Shimano freewheel such as
the MF-Z-102

I have one of those and I had this same trouble with 4th.

Try this: Put gear into 5th . Then adjust derailleur just for that gear and don't worry about the
others. Things should be lined right up on that gear.

Worked for me. These parts may say "Shimano" but they aren't like any other Shimano parts I have
ever seen.

"TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :( Where its such a POS I have
> noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may be my problem. Need to
> save up enough cash to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put
> it up for the winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more
> today. But its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is
> all from the same.
>
> Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
> repair my bike.
>
> Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

--Things should be lined right up on that gear.--

Sorry. I meant to continue and say that the others might fall into place. That's what happened for
me. A tooth missing is no big deal.

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have one of those and I had this same trouble with 4th.
>
> Try this: Put gear into 5th . Then adjust derailleur just for that gear and
don't
> worry about the others. Things should be lined right up on that gear.
>
> Worked for me. These parts may say "Shimano" but they aren't like any other Shimano parts I have
> ever seen.
>
> "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > It could be worn cogs/chain. The bike is a walmart Raodmaster :(
Where
> > its such a POS I have noticed that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears have twisted teeth. SO that may
> > be my problem. Need to save up enough
cash
> > to buy myself a real bike. The thing is the biek worked fine last year, I put it up for the
> > winter got it out, put on the new derailer and now this, ill have to look at it more today. But
> > its almost a given the bike is made of about 4 other bikes parts, but the drivetrain is all from
> > the same.
> >
> > Well at least the bike taught me how to adjust, overhaul, repair, reapair, repair, and how to
> > repair my bike.
> >
> > Guess that will help me when I get a real bike

They werent twisted jsut worn badly. Its a newer cassette so I dont think they should be like that.
I was looking at bikes at walmart and I notice on of the higher quality (HAHAHAHAHA) bikes they have
there has a nicer shimano cassette on it, but 4th gear and only 4th gear had twisted teeth?!?! Is
that supposed to be like that, it was a 7 speed cassette.