Derailer adjustment

frodge

New Member
May 8, 2004
My LBS told me to bring my Trek 4900 back after 10-20 hours of use to make adjustments to the cables for the initial stretch. I took the bike out after the adjustments and am really not happy.
The front gear does not shift from the middle to low gear, the derailer just oscillates up and down like it wants to go into gear, and then eventually the chain will drop down. From the front middle to the top gear, it is not as smooth as it used to be. How is this to be adjusted, can I do this on my own? I went back once to the shop after the initial adjustment and it is still not right. They are saying they are going to put a new cable on now. Is this appropriate? I am sorry I ever brought it in, it seemed fine before I did so. Please advise. :mad:

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My LBS told me to bring my Trek 4900 back after 10-20
> hours of use to make
adjustments to the cables for the initial stretch. I took
the bike out after the adjustments and am really not happy.
> The front gear does not shift from the middle to low gear,
> the derailer
just oscillates up and down like it wants to go into gear,
and then eventually the chain will drop down. From the front
middle to the top gear, it is not as smooth as it used to
be. How is this to be adjusted, can I do this on my own? I
went back once to the shop after the initial adjustment and
it is still not right. They are saying they are going to put
a new cable on now. Is this appropriate? I am sorry I ever
brought it in, it seemed fine before I did so. Please
advise. :mad:

So the guy had a bad day!! If its a local shop my advice is
to take it back and stay with it while he does the tweaking.
Friendly like, ask him questions, how and why etc. You might
need a friend later.

1st mistake bring it back. Get your- self a bike maintenance
and repair book and use your reading skills now transmit
that to your hands and you be allright.

I MTB 2004

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My LBS told me to bring my Trek 4900 back after 10-20
> hours of use to make
adjustments to the cables for the initial stretch. I took
the bike out after the adjustments and am really not happy.
> The front gear does not shift from the middle to low gear,
> the derailer
just oscillates up and down like it wants to go into gear,
and then eventually the chain will drop down. From the front
middle to the top gear, it is not as smooth as it used to
be. How is this to be adjusted, can I do this on my own? I
went back once to the shop after the initial adjustment and
it is still not right. They are saying they are going to put
a new cable on now. Is this appropriate? I am sorry I ever
brought it in, it seemed fine before I did so. Please
advise. :mad:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetra-
in

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

frodge <[email protected]> wrote:
> My LBS told me to bring my Trek 4900 back after 10-20
> hours of use to make adjustments to the cables for the
> initial stretch. I took the bike out after the adjustments
> and am really not happy. The front gear does not shift
> from the middle to low gear, the derailer just oscillates
> up and down like it wants to go into gear, and then
> eventually the chain will drop down. From the front middle
> to the top gear, it is not as smooth as it used to be. How
> is this to be adjusted, can I do this on my own? I went
> back once to the shop after the initial adjustment and it
> is still not right. They are saying they are going to put
> a new cable on now. Is this appropriate? I am sorry I ever
> brought it in, it seemed fine before I did so. Please
> advise. :mad:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Start here. Front derailers are finicky beasts, but aren't
rocket science. If it's not working right now and they plan
on putting a new cable on anyway you bring it in, you've
got nothing to lose by trying it yourself. Read the
article, give it a shot, and if it doesn't work then bring
it to the shop.

Just my $.02

Tom

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:47:37 GMT, "D T W .../\\..."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> My LBS told me to bring my Trek 4900 back after 10-20
>> hours of use to make
>adjustments to the cables for the initial stretch. I took
>the bike out after the adjustments and am really not happy.
after i had bad luck with a fancy sports/bike shop (Sporting
Life) and a junky one (Canadian Tire), I read up a bit and
learned how to set up my own brakes, adjust my own
derailleurs and yes, tighten my own spokes. wasn't too hard
and sure is a lot more convenient to just fix things at
home. ...thehick