I'm troubleshooting a skipping, late to upshift, surprise upshift on hill, condition after having replaced cassette and chain (SRAM 970 & PC89R) on a 105 set up. I went through BOTH the adjustment proceedures (High, Low, B-screw and finally Barrel adj) on Shimano and the Park tool site, but am still having the problem, seemingly no matter where the internal wire tension (barrel screw) is set. So, I'm thinkin' guide pulley. It squeaked badly before I R&R'd back there. Lubing quieted it down, but I noticed the guide (top) pulley had much more lateral bearing play than the bottom one.
Question is should both pulleys have about the same play? My theory, please don't laugh, is that the guide pulley may not be aiming the chain as well because it slants toward the cogs I'm shifting from as the derailer goes on the move. If this sounds logical, it isn't a t-shoot item I've seen much of for poor shifting.
TIA,
Chris