Derailers, 10spd vs. 9spd

Steve Shapiro

New Member
Sep 26, 2003
I understand that 8 and 9 speed derailers are generally interchangeable. But, I wonder, can one use a 10 speed Campy derailer on a 9 speed Ergo system? Is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed derailers?

Steve Shapiro

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 05:02:33 +1000, Steve Shapiro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I understand that 8 and 9 speed derailers are generally interchangeable.
>But, I wonder, can one use a 10 speed Campy derailer on a 9 speed Ergo
>system? Is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed derailers?

No difference. I looked carefully at a 2004 Veloce 9 rear derailleur
and the pulleys are marked 9 and 10.

I regularly use 8sp upper rear derailleur pulleys on 10 sp system.
The diameter is smaller and I can get by when using the older, short
cage rear derailleurs and 29 or even 30t cogs.

steve-<< But, I wonder, can one use a 10 speed Campy derailer on a 9 speed Ergo
system? Is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed derailers? >><BR><BR>

Nope, no problema.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I understand that 8 and 9 speed derailers are generally interchangeable.
>But, I wonder, can one use a 10 speed Campy derailer on a 9 speed Ergo
>system? Is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed derailers?

The big diff is in the shifter, not the der. Hang it on, adjust it
and go.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.