Deraileur Gears - Help Sought

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Albert, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Albert

    Albert Guest

    after a biig crash last year I damaged my deraileur, bent it back in place got carted back home
    resulting in me and the bike laid up for a while.

    ankle mended (sort of) I've been out for a pootle a few times and the gear selection is shot to
    hell. I can't tell if the deraileur is correctly aligned as I have nothing to compare it with.

    can someone point me to a site with graphic / photo heavy instructions on setting my gears back
    up as I don't want to have to buy new ones, admit defeat or repeat the mess I made of gears when
    I was a kid

    oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

    thanks

    Albert

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:47:57 -0000, "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

    Was it the derailleur itself that was bent or the hanger - the bit the derailleur bolts to?

    --
    Dave...

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > can someone point me to a site with graphic / photo heavy instructions on setting my gears back up
    > as I don't want to have to buy new ones, admit defeat or repeat the mess I made of gears when I
    > was a kid
    >

    > oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

    Could possibly be bent back, but I would also be concerned that the hanger is bent as well/instead.
    If steel, that too can be bent back. Consult a bike shop about this if in doubt (they have special
    gauges and tools to correct, although you could DIY with ordinary tools if careful).

    But first, try the usual mech tweaks. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    Then more instructions if needed: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetrain

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  4. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Thanks Both,

    I don't think the hanger is bent, but after scanning those two sites I think I'll just buy a new
    (better) mech and let my LBS fit it.

    two birds and all that.

    cheers

    Albert