Deraileur Gears - Help Sought

Albert

Guest
after a biig crash last year I damaged my deraileur, bent it back in place got carted back home
resulting in me and the bike laid up for a while.

ankle mended (sort of) I've been out for a pootle a few times and the gear selection is shot to
hell. I can't tell if the deraileur is correctly aligned as I have nothing to compare it with.

can someone point me to a site with graphic / photo heavy instructions on setting my gears back
up as I don't want to have to buy new ones, admit defeat or repeat the mess I made of gears when
I was a kid

oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

thanks

Albert

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:47:57 -0000, "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

Was it the derailleur itself that was bent or the hanger - the bit the derailleur bolts to?

--
Dave...

Albert wrote:
> can someone point me to a site with graphic / photo heavy instructions on setting my gears back up
> as I don't want to have to buy new ones, admit defeat or repeat the mess I made of gears when I
> was a kid
>

> oh, and /can/ the deraileur be 'bent back' in place or is it time for a new one ?

Could possibly be bent back, but I would also be concerned that the hanger is bent as well/instead.
If steel, that too can be bent back. Consult a bike shop about this if in doubt (they have special
gauges and tools to correct, although you could DIY with ordinary tools if careful).

But first, try the usual mech tweaks. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Then more instructions if needed: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetrain

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

Thanks Both,

I don't think the hanger is bent, but after scanning those two sites I think I'll just buy a new
(better) mech and let my LBS fit it.

two birds and all that.

cheers

Albert