Deraileur noise

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Per LöWdin, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    Hi

    I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it is
    running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened. Should I
    have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something else?
    Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Tags:

  2. Per Löwdin wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it
    > is running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened.
    > Should I have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be
    > something else? Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting on
    the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down, then
    take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll give you
    that bit of extra length you need.

    Jon Bond

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Per Löwdin wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and
    get
    > > an evil noise when it is running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T.
    > > B-screw is tightened. Should I have added two
    chain
    > > links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something
    else?
    > > Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
    > >
    > > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
    >
    > Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting
    > on the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down,
    > then take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll
    > give you that bit of extra length you need.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Or just fit a longer screw, like I did, and have done with it.

    Shaun aRe

  4. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting
    > on the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down,
    > then take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll
    > give you that bit of extra length you need.

    I have done that before when the derailleur has been twisted or the hanger twisted. But I don´t
    think it is now. When I backpedal the upper pulley does not rub against the largets sprocket. It
    only does when I apply heavy pressure, as for getting up a step or a steep incline, and I have
    changed from a shortcage to a longcage without adding chain links.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:49:18 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it is
    >running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened. Should I
    >have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something else?
    >Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
    >
    >Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    It's the derailleur, get rid of it.

    :-]

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:49:18 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and
    get
    > >an evil noise when it is running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T.
    > >B-screw is tightened. Should I have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur?
    > >Or might it be something
    else?
    > >Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
    > >
    > >Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
    > >

    > It's the derailleur, get rid of it.

    Shaun aRe

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26:58 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> It's the derailleur, get rid of it.
    >

    >Shaun aRe

    One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!

    Peace Rim Shot,

    :-]

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26:58 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >> It's the derailleur, get rid of it.
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe
    > >

    > One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!

    Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.

    > Peace Rim Shot,

    Ba-da-boom ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:33:30 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...

    >> >Shaun aRe
    >> >

    >> One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!
    >
    >Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.

    Wus O-C-D? The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:13:42 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >
    >>>Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.
    >>

    >> Wus O-C-D?
    >
    >Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And before your next question, remember that Google is your
    >friend... :)

    grassy ass amigo, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that
    is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]