Deraileur noise

Per LöWdin

Guest
Hi

I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it is
running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened. Should I
have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something else?
Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Per Löwdin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it
> is running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened.
> Should I have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be
> something else? Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting on
the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down, then
take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll give you
that bit of extra length you need.

Jon Bond

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Löwdin wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and
get
> > an evil noise when it is running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T.
> > B-screw is tightened. Should I have added two
chain
> > links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something
else?
> > Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
> >
> > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
>
> Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting
> on the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down,
> then take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll
> give you that bit of extra length you need.
>
> Jon Bond

Or just fit a longer screw, like I did, and have done with it.

Shaun aRe

> Sometimes the B-adjustment screw isn't long enough, which is a pain. If it looks like its resting
> on the cogs (you can really tell if you pull the chain off), and the screw is all the way down,
> then take the screw out and thread it in from the other side. A bit harder to adjust, but it'll
> give you that bit of extra length you need.

I have done that before when the derailleur has been twisted or the hanger twisted. But I don´t
think it is now. When I backpedal the upper pulley does not rub against the largets sprocket. It
only does when I apply heavy pressure, as for getting up a step or a steep incline, and I have
changed from a shortcage to a longcage without adding chain links.

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:49:18 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I just changed my wrecked short cage xtr deraileur for a long cage and get an evil noise when it is
>running on the smallest chain ring and largest cassett sprocket 34T. B-screw is tightened. Should I
>have added two chain links to accomodate the long cage deraileur? Or might it be something else?
>Poor adjustment? Bent hanger?
>
>Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

It's the derailleur, get rid of it.

:-]

news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26:58 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> It's the derailleur, get rid of it.
>

>Shaun aRe

One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!

Peace Rim Shot,

:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26:58 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> It's the derailleur, get rid of it.
> >

> >Shaun aRe
> >

> One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!

Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.

> Peace Rim Shot,

Ba-da-boom ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:33:30 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> >Shaun aRe
>> >

>> One Speech, One Truth ..... One Speed!
>
>Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.

Wus O-C-D? The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:13:42 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Wheeler wrote:
>
>>>Propaganda and hype. You have OCD.
>>

>> Wus O-C-D?
>
>Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And before your next question, remember that Google is your
>friend... :)

grassy ass amigo, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that
is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]