I'm putting together a new bike. The drive train set up is:

05 Specialized Roubaix Pro frame;
D/A 9spd rear der;
D/A 12/27 9spd cassette;
FSA Compact Pro cranks(50/34);
FSA Compact front der;
FSA Platinum Pro Titanium BB(68x108)
SRAM PC-89R 9spd hollow pin(shimano compatible 114links):

After I connected the chain I noticed the chain is too long because the top pulley is hitting the largest cog(27 tooth). So I took out 4 links(It's actually 8 links, 4 pairs of outter plates+ 4 inner links). But the chain still makes the ticking noise(hitting the cog). When I put the chain on big/big, the der is already fully stretched out(see photo below). So instead of shortening the chain even more. I started to screw in the der hanger screw(the one pushes against the hanger). I finally got rid of the ticking sound, but the hanger screw is almost all the way in.

Did I do anything wrong here? Should the hanger screw be tightened that much?

chaincog5ug.jpg

when in the big ring/ small cog the chain should be long enough to position the pulley centers vertical, at a right angle to the floor.
this per the shimano manual...

sa1794 said:
I'm putting together a new bike. The drive train set up is:

05 Specialized Roubaix Pro frame;
D/A 9spd rear der;
D/A 12/27 9spd cassette;
FSA Compact Pro cranks(50/34);
FSA Compact front der;
FSA Platinum Pro Titanium BB(68x108)
SRAM PC-89R 9spd hollow pin(shimano compatible 114links):

After I connected the chain I noticed the chain is too long because the top pulley is hitting the largest cog(27 tooth). So I took out 4 links(It's actually 8 links, 4 pairs of outter plates+ 4 inner links). But the chain still makes the ticking noise(hitting the cog). When I put the chain on big/big, the der is already fully stretched out(see photo below). So instead of shortening the chain even more. I started to screw in the der hanger screw(the one pushes against the hanger). I finally got rid of the ticking sound, but the hanger screw is almost all the way in.

Did I do anything wrong here? Should the hanger screw be tightened that much?

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4318/chaincog5ug.jpg

Mine ticks when I have it upside down and am working on it (no workstand). But when I ride it the weight of the chain and der pulls the pulley down and it doesn't tick.

Man, that chain looks way too tight!

Hypnospin said:
when in the big ring/ small cog the chain should be long enough to position the pulley centers vertical, at a right angle to the floor.
this per the shimano manual...

Here's a photo of the big ring/smallest cog set up. The pulleys line up in a pretty vertical position in relation to the floor.

chaincog026kn.jpg