derailler cable casing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dcg, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. dcg

    dcg Guest

    What is the short piece of stainless steel derailler casing attached
    to the rear derailler on a road bike called? Where can I buy one? Do
    they come in different sizes?

    Thanks for your help.

    David Griffith

    Tags:

  2. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Derailleur%20Casing&tc=&item_id=LS-280BK&id=923762028048

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dcg wrote:

    > What is the short piece of stainless steel derailler casing attached
    > to the rear derailler on a road bike called? Where can I buy one? Do
    > they come in different sizes?

    It's called 'obsolete'

    If you're restoring a period bike, it is ,as you said,
    'stainless gear casing'. We have it, as will LBS which
    commonly service classic bicycles.

    If you have a modern bike it would be called 'the problem'
    because its slop would be deleterious to a crisp shift
    response. Modern gear casing is different, a high-helix
    casing of tempered wire with a PTFE liner. Any LBS has that.

    Regarding length, as with all casing, shoot for a clean
    economical curve. Avoid short runs which kink at the ends
    and long cuts resulting in recurves. Take care to trim
    evenly and use the appropriate ferrules which both keep the
    casing from self-disassembling and prevent lost motion.
    Even small amounts of 'slop' in a gear control is noticeable.

    Oil wires in modern casing and grease wires in older unlined
    stuff.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org