derailleur - caliper or shifter lube?

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
does the derailleur, brake calipers or the shifter's pivots needs any lub after a while or they do not need any maintenance?

Derailleur-Yes
Caliper-Yes
Shifter-Depends on the shifter. The old friction shifters could not be lubed and work correctly. SIS Shift Levers probably would benifit a little from lubing. I really don't know about brifters but I have never lubed mine and they are still working fine after many thousands of miles. They are Shimano, I can't say about Campy or SRAM.

If you do lube your components, use a light oil or silicone spray dry lube. I use TriLube on my deraileurs and caliper pivots. My LBS has also suggested that I could use ProLink which is what I use on my chain. I'll probably start using that after my big economy sized can of TriLube goes dry in the next 20 years or so. Just be sure to lube them LIGHTLY and wipe off all excess. You will probably only need to lube them when you lube your chain.

thanks.

so you do just spray the lube on the moving parts and it'll penetrate in? or do you better to dismantle the most possible and put the lube from there?

zaku said:
thanks.

so you do just spray the lube on the moving parts and it'll penetrate in? or do you better to dismantle the most possible and put the lube from there?
I never dismantled them. I just use the tube that comes with the can and spray with the tube almost against the pivot point. Almost any light lube will penetrate where as a heavier lube will just sit there. Like I said, make sure that you wipe any lube that you can get at or else you will get a dirty build up of gunk at that spot.