Derailleur Gears upshift is very slow?

tinkerz

Apr 26, 2011
I have an old altus c-10 shimano rear derailleur.

It has the old thumb gear shifts on the handle bars.

When I press the thumb switch for the smaller cogs the derailleur is quick,

But I lose tension on thumb switch that changes the gear to a bigger cog.

There are 2 thumb switches one for up and one for down

How can I adjust the derailleur so the upshift works properly, it takes along time for tension to appear in the cable thumb switch and then I can change gear.

Regards

Tinkerz

The initial tension in the lever/switch comes from a spring in the lever and not from the cable. There is a mechanism in the lever which then pulls the cable.

Only once this mechanism is engaged then the tension in the cable is felt at the switch. Some shifters are like this from the beginning, others become this way as they wear out. There is nothing you can do to improve this effect apart from replacing the shifter.

If the gear change does not occur in sync with the index "click" in the lever, then cable tension should be increased, but this is a different effect to the one you described.

there is no delay between the press on the thumb switch and the index shift, so i will take a look at the thumb switch, thanks
the

Okay then, if there is no delay between pressing the lever and the index click, it is more likely that you just need to increase cable tension.

To get a better idea of what adjustments might be needed check this .

Let me try and clarify what happens, on the up and down thumb shift, there is tension, you can feel the resistance before you press the switch, once you press either one of them, the gear changes, then the upshift thumb switch loses tension, and you can press it right back, the down shift remains with tension, after a while the upshift thumb switch tension returns to normal, then you know it will change gear again. Thats it, so I need more tension on the cable, it feels like a spring is not returning to its postion Thanks

There are return springs in the levers as well but you didn't mention anything about that before!

The return springs are entirely separate to the cable tension, and if they aren't working then you will need to get a new lever. You cannot get spare parts for Shimano unless you take them from another shifter. Best to see a physical mechanic.

WD40 sorted it for now, sprayed it in the lever mechanism, thats for the posts I sorted mte out :)