Derailleur pulley problem.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Djordje87, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

Hey everybody I have a small problem and I am not sure how I can solve it. My father took my bike after I found it (it was stolen) to a guy who fix bikes but he didn't see this as a problem obviously and now I cannot spend more money on this so would like some advice from you here.

My derailleur pulley is way to loose or should I say it is hitting the rear derailleur. It really doesn't matter what gear I shift it is always loose. It is like the chain is too big and It looks like it wasn't changed while it was stolen from me but I really cannot tell.

Does anyone have an idea what should I do except going to a bike expert.

Tags:

2. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

You can buy new derailleur pulleys

3. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

I know I can buy new one but as I said right now I have no money to buy good one s or any for that matter. I have some other priorities. That said, I was thinking about some other solution or the cause of this. I really thought it was a chain problem but I was probably wrong. On the same place now the chain falls off the pulley. Maybe I was not clear. I was talking about the position.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wmRZ7ME4jvo/S5doZMs90PI/AAAAAAAAAEo/xiJQbdS2e_I/R derr gimped.JPG

It doesn't look like this. It is more loosen up and it is more up an back so it almost hits that upper part.

4. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the reason that the derailleur pulleys are worn out is because the chain was not changed on schedule and stretched to the point that the pulley's were destroyed. Now you might be able to find a replacement derailleur on Craig's List or Ebay for less than the cost of new pulley's but you absolutely must replace the chain. And it is likely that the front sprockets and rear freewheel or cassette is destroyed as well.

This is why you should always have a chain measurement tool and change your chain directly on schedule.

5. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

Thank you very much. That was the answer I was looking for. The bike was stolen and I have no idea what they did for six months we were separated. Apart from visible on the first look this came as a surprise to me because it looked okay but once I started to ride I was this close to cry. It was like the bike was hit by a truck. Three times.