Derailleur questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tf, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tf

Tf Guest

My front derailleur got banged up during a recent accident. The outter plate landed on a rock and
    was bent. I am looking for a replacement front derailleur and didn't know that there were so many
    diffent specs for them.

I have a Diamondback Zetec with a STX-RC drivetrain and LX rear derailleur. I was looking for a LX
    derailleur on because I STX-RC is no longer in production and I could not find any on ebay. The
    listings on ebay ususally have measurement in mm. Is that measurement the diameter of the seat tube?
    I can't think of what else it could be... Some of them also say 9-speed, will that work with a bike
    that has an 8-speed cassette? About top or bottom pull, is that where the cable comes from to pull
    the derailleur, ie top pull = cable is from above and pulls upwards to upshift. The chain on my bike
    says Shimano IG Narrow WH if that means anything.

For rear derailleurs, will a 9-sp derailleur work on an 8-speed setup?

Tags:

2. "TF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My front derailleur got banged up during a recent accident. The outter plate landed on a rock and
    > was bent. I am looking for a replacement front derailleur and didn't know that there were so many
    > diffent specs for them.
    >
    > I have a Diamondback Zetec with a STX-RC drivetrain and LX rear derailleur. I was looking for a
    > LX derailleur on because I STX-RC is no longer in production and I could not find any on ebay.
    > The listings on ebay ususally have measurement in mm. Is that measurement the diameter of the
    > seat tube?

Yes.

> I can't think of what else it could be... Some of them also say 9-speed, will that work with a
    > bike that has an 8-speed cassette?

Yes.

> About top or bottom pull, is that where the cable comes from to pull the derailleur, ie top pull
    > = cable is from above and pulls upwards to upshift.

Yes.

> The chain on my bike says Shimano IG Narrow WH if that means anything.

Any modern 8 or 9 speed Shimano or SRAM chain will work fine.

>
    > For rear derailleurs, will a 9-sp derailleur work on an 8-speed setup?

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.