derailleur upgrade?

G.Daniels

Guest
the suntour derailleur on the ol pipe is wearing thin so a deore is planned. is this a bolt to the
hanger application? or head off to the machine shop?

In article <[email protected]>,
g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
>the suntour derailleur on the ol pipe is wearing thin so a deore is planned. is this a bolt to the
>hanger application? or head off to the machine shop?

If you have a 10x1 threaded derailleur hanger on your frame, the new derailleur will go right on. If
the old derailleur is installed with a bolt-on derailleur hanger, you may or may not need to replace
that part (at a bike shop) depending on whether it has a 10x1 threaded hole or something else.

Is the derailleur bolted directly into the frame, or into a chrome steel plate that is bolted to the
dropout (where the axle goes)?

--Paul

Paul! the Suntour derailleur threads through a steel hanger then fixs to the hanger with a thin nut
on the side opposite the derailleur. the derailleur pivots on the bolt shaft whose head forms a
broad bearing surface that locates the bolt/derailleur assembly 90 degrees to the hanger. the hanger
itself attaches to the dropout with a rather small metric screw as the hanger is forged with a space
for the axle in this hanger area. whew!

that a new shimano deray bolts into this efficient antiquo design would be remarkable.an agreement
exists of a manufacturers consortium specifying common lengths, widths, thread sizes- any idea if
the text exists on the web?

one design feature that escapes me are the two threaded areas, one on the hanger, one one the nut
opposite. whazzit do?

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul! the Suntour derailleur threads through a steel hanger then fixs to the hanger with a thin
> nut on the side opposite the derailleur. the derailleur pivots on the bolt shaft whose head forms
> a broad bearing surface that locates the bolt/derailleur assembly 90 degrees to the hanger. the
> hanger itself attaches to the dropout with a rather small metric screw as the hanger is forged
> with a space for the axle in this hanger area. whew!
>
> that a new shimano deray bolts into this efficient antiquo design would be remarkable.an agreement
> exists of a manufacturers consortium specifying common lengths, widths, thread sizes- any idea if
> the text exists on the web?
>
> one design feature that escapes me are the two threaded areas, one on the hanger, one one the nut
> opposite. whazzit do?

The early Suntour rear changer design did not incorporate a top pivot spring. The top bolt is
screwed in (lube first!) and then adjusted so it can pivot without sideplay. Hold the top bolt with
an allen key and lock the locknut (behind the plate) with a 17mm wrench. Check for free motion, no
sideplay , and correct as needed.

Simplex used a similar system to adjust top spring tension.

"A Muzi"!! cool! I tore up the bolt threads! with the hanger threading, steel vs aluminum. is that
my maladjustment or do they all do that over time?