derailluer advice

Sir Spinsir

Jun 9, 2004
Hello all.
The front derailluer is rubbing against the side of my chain, and the screws on it are pretty stripped, I was wondering which direction do I turn the outside screw to push the derailluer out further? Maybe an dumb question, but I don't want to trial and error the screws and strip them any more than they are.
Thanks.

Sir Spinsir said:
Hello all.
The front derailluer is rubbing against the side of my chain, and the screws on it are pretty stripped, I was wondering which direction do I turn the outside screw to push the derailluer out further? Maybe an dumb question, but I don't want to trial and error the screws and strip them any more than they are.
Thanks.

Counterclockwise.

Sir Spinsir said:
Hello all.
Thanks.
The outside limit screw doe's not push the front derailleur out, it limits the derailleur from going out. Never adjust this screw without first pulling the derailleur away from it, because the screw threads are not strong enough to be turned if the derailleur is pressed against it. Once you have backed the screw way out, adjust the derailleur cable tension to position the derailleur where you want it. Then turn the screw back in until you just feel it stops. This will limit the derailleur from going out farther and possibly pushing your chain off your big ring gear.

Been a mechanic for many years, it's great that you trying to fix it yourself but it can get pretty frustrating. My advice, go to your LBS,they can probably replace the stripped screws from spare parts that all shops have and adjust it for less than $20-.

Good Luck!

schwagger said:
Been a mechanic for many years, it's great that you trying to fix it yourself but it can get pretty frustrating. My advice, go to your LBS,they can probably replace the stripped screws from spare parts that all shops have and adjust it for less than $20-.

Good Luck!
LOL!

$20 to replace 2 screws! Holy &^$#^

This is why I taught myself how to fix my bike.

Sir Spinsir said:
Hello all.
Thanks.
If the screws are stripped, replace them. A stripped screw will not hold the derailer in position. Get a new set from the bike shop.

Go to www.parktool.com

This site will give you step by step instructions on setting up your derailer.

Alpha said:
If the screws are stripped, replace them. A stripped screw will not hold the derailer in position. Get a new set from the bike shop.

Go to www.parktool.com

This site will give you step by step instructions on setting up your derailer.
Almost certainly, he means that the screw head is burred, not that the threads are stripped on the screw??? If he can turn it, it will work.

Hey all.
Thanks very much for the advise and links. The heads are a little stripped. This being my first somewhat highender, I think I'll just take her to my LBS to get done, and maybe have them install my new computer too (Cateye CC-HR200DW)
Thanks again!

Alpha said:
LOL!

$20 to replace 2 screws! Holy &^$#^

This is why I taught myself how to fix my bike.
Slow down chief and reread the post, Less than $20- to ADJUST DER. and REPLACE the screws. I'm thankful people like you learn how to fix their own bikes( so they think), it makes my life much easier. It also helps increase the revenue of our shop when you and your friends bring in their bikes all screwed up from fixing it yourself;)

schwagger said:
Slow down chief and reread the post, Less than $20- to ADJUST DER. and REPLACE the screws. I'm thankful people like you learn how to fix their own bikes( so they think), it makes my life much easier. It also helps increase the revenue of our shop when you and your friends bring in their bikes all screwed up from fixing it yourself;)
I guess that this response is motivated by bile, so I shouldn't take issue with it. Nevertheless, kids out there, most bike maintenance is easy and it saves mucho $$$$$$. Imagine paying $10-20 every time your RD trim needed a tweak!!! - although I suppose a lot of you do!

I agree with you. Being able to work on a bike is very important since it saves you a lot of time, gives you a chance to realize how everything really works and also will give you an appreciation for some parts on the bike, and also make you understand the "engineering" that goes into it.

Yes, it even saves money. Oh, and not only just on repairs, but it could keep you away from buying expensive parts, so that they might "perform" better.

I am in my late teens/young adult and only started cycling three years ago. From then on, I have learned how to do everything on my bike. Don't do the stuff that requires expensive tools, but everything else is now easy.

Yes, before I depended on my bike shop for everything, but learning how to do things myself, gave me an appreciation for the "cheaper" parts. A bike shop doesn't have enough time to execute things to perfection. While I do. I pay the money for the part, and I make it work. I only have to work on one bike, the bike shop has to work on many. See the point?

But this puts the bike shop into a bad spot. If everyone fixed their own bikes, then bike shops wouldn't be making any money. But there are many people out there that will never even try, or will get bored of trying. Many... So bike shops will always have those people, and the newbies that are still learning. And the people that really have no time. Kind of isn't their fault.

Wow, I kind of said too much. Patience, common sense, logic, and a methodical pace can make it easy to learn how to fix stuff on a bike.

free_rideman said:
I agree with you. Being able to work on a bike is very important since it saves you a lot of time, gives you a chance to realize how everything really works and also will give you an appreciation for some parts on the bike, and also make you understand the "engineering" that goes into it.

Yes, it even saves money. Oh, and not only just on repairs, but it could keep you away from buying expensive parts, so that they might "perform" better.

I am in my late teens/young adult and only started cycling three years ago. From then on, I have learned how to do everything on my bike. Don't do the stuff that requires expensive tools, but everything else is now easy.

Yes, before I depended on my bike shop for everything, but learning how to do things myself, gave me an appreciation for the "cheaper" parts. A bike shop doesn't have enough time to execute things to perfection. While I do. I pay the money for the part, and I make it work. I only have to work on one bike, the bike shop has to work on many. See the point?

But this puts the bike shop into a bad spot. If everyone fixed their own bikes, then bike shops wouldn't be making any money. But there are many people out there that will never even try, or will get bored of trying. Many... So bike shops will always have those people, and the newbies that are still learning. And the people that really have no time. Kind of isn't their fault.

Wow, I kind of said too much. Patience, common sense, logic, and a methodical pace can make it easy to learn how to fix stuff on a bike.
Good for you, alot of people can properly fix their own bikes but MANY try and can't. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from learning how but front and rear der. being the most rewarding when you learn how to adjust it yourself are also the most troublesome/anxiety provoking and it is the most common problem when a bike comes in for a tune-up usually made much worse from the owner trying to fix it first. This post started with someone with limited knowledge asking for advice, with that limited knowlegde I feel the best advice would be to bring it to your LBS...and don't worry about putting your LBS out of business by DIY, what hurts is hard and soft goods being bought by mail order but the prices unfortunatley can't be beat!