Derby-Notts Hockey 5th October 8.00pm

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by roland, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. roland

    roland Guest

    Just a quick reminder about the hockey sessions that have been booked. I
    Have booked two sessions on the floodlit 5-a-side pitch at Darley Fields
    in Chester Green Derby. The sessions are booked for 8.00-9.00pm on
    Tuesday 5th October and Tuesday 12th October so turn up at 7.45ish so
    we're ready to go as soon as the court is free.
    IF you've got your own stick bring - we've probably got 8 or so sticks
    at the club but the more the merrier and if you can make sure that er is
    some form of end protector on the end of the stick to minimise the
    chance of injury. And if theres a chance that your one wheeled steed
    can be sporting plastic pedals that would also be a good thing

    Directions
    From Nottingham:
    Head to Derby on the A52 when you reach the pentagon island take the
    3rd exit the A61 (sir Frank Whittle Way) when you reach the small
    traffic island next to the Alfa Romeo garage turn left and then
    immeadiately left again. Follow the road over the bridge and to another
    small traffic island. Follow this road straight to the end and the pitch
    is on the right at the bottom of the road.

    Map:
    http://tinyurl.com/3sg6n

    So anybody is welcome and there'll be a possibility of a cheeky half
    afterwards - If you can let me know who might attend with contact
    details [roland(at)suttonuk(dot)com] then I mail out any further
    information. and a mobile number so that you can ring if you get lost.
    Hope to see you all there

    Cheers

    Roland

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  2. GILD

    GILD Guest

    roland wrote:
    > * there'll be a possibility of a cheeky half afterwards *

    i'm either being stupid or square (and still can't decide which is
    worse), but i have no idea what a 'cheeky half' is?
    my first thought was that it was 15 minutes of unihoki played in the
    nude
    :p
    but since i doubt that, please explain?

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  3. roland

    roland Guest

    Nothing as exciting as naked hockey - just a quick social pint (or half
    pint) in the pub after play has ceased - sorry to dissappoint :)
    Although with a bit of photoshop I'm sure the pictures could be
    doctored-If you travel from South Africa I'm sure it can be arranged

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  4. GILD

    GILD Guest

    roland wrote:
    > *Nothing as exciting as naked hockey - just a quick social pint (or
    > half pint) in the pub after play has ceased - sorry to dissappoint
    > :)*

    quite allright
    that did make most sense in context, i've just never heard the
    expression before
    is it a common one?roland wrote:* Although with a bit of photoshop I'm
    > sure the pictures could be doctored-If you travel from South Africa
    > I'm sure it can be arranged* [/B]

    i did actually travel to your island
    'recently' (http://tinyurl.com/6wcaw)
    i got to play with the Lunis and had so much fun, i had to start
    something over here when i got 'back'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/South-African-Uni-Hockey)
    i'm giving it a couple of months to settle down and confirm a core of
    players who want to take it (as) seriously (as one should;) ) and then
    i'm approaching the South African Olympic Committee about funding
    they can only say 'no'
    :)
    if we get enough of that (funding, not 'no's), do get your teams
    together as an international tour strikes me as a splendid way to spend
    someone else's money
    :cool:

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  5. Gary.Kelsall

    Gary.Kelsall Guest

    A cheeky half is a reasonably common expression (it's just that I can't
    ever remember a time where we managed to limit ourselves to a half, be
    it cheeky or not).
    Roland - this bloke seems keen, so how about organising the next game in
    South Africa then? I realise the logistics might be a bit more
    difficult, but if you can arrange a similar cost as for the games next
    week, I'm sure you'll be able to get a few takers.

    Back in the real world though, I'm looking forward to the session next
    week - will be nice to have a 'proper' game (especially if Roger rides
    his two wheeler!).

    One thing though - referees. When we've played at the club, we've always
    ref'd ourselves (as we can normally only manage a two a side game). Can
    any of the more regular hockey players offer any recommendations on
    whether you really need a ref during a bigger game? I'm sure that we'll
    all be sporting enough to not take advantage of the situation whether we
    have one or not, but I wondered whether you had a better game with a ref
    or not. Any advice?

    Cheers,
    Gary

    --
    Gary.Kelsall - One of the BJC 2004 organisers
    Gary.Kelsall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5847

  6. Roger Light

    Roger Light Guest

    Gary.Kelsall wrote:

    > Back in the real world though, I'm looking forward to the session next
    > week - will be nice to have a 'proper' game (especially if Roger rides
    > his two wheeler!).

    Har har. Maybe when I can free mount and idle.

    > One thing though - referees. When we've played at the club, we've always
    > ref'd ourselves (as we can normally only manage a two a side game). Can
    > any of the more regular hockey players offer any recommendations on
    > whether you really need a ref during a bigger game? I'm sure that we'll
    > all be sporting enough to not take advantage of the situation whether we
    > have one or not, but I wondered whether you had a better game with a ref
    > or not. Any advice?

    I'm sure we'll be sporting as well. I would also say that there is a
    reasonable chance that there will be an odd number of us, so we could
    take it turns to referee. I for one would be glad of a rest after a few
    games :)

    Cheers,

    Roger
    --
    Nottingham One Day Juggling Convention
    5th March 2005 - 12pm-Late

  7. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Gary.Kelsall wrote:
    > *One thing though - referees. When we've played at the club, we've
    > always ref'd ourselves (as we can normally only manage a two a side
    > game). Can any of the more regular hockey players offer any
    > recommendations on whether you really need a ref during a bigger game?
    > I'm sure that we'll all be sporting enough to not take advantage of
    > the situation whether we have one or not, but I wondered whether you
    > had a better game with a ref or not. Any advice?
    > *

    At lunis, we never bothered with a ref, even for quite big games. If
    we've only got an hour of playing, then being a ref means you'll miss a
    big chunk of the game.

    I should be there, probably by bus, as the derby road from Nottingham
    and the buses on it go past my work and it'll be well easy, it'll also
    mean I get to see some of sunny Derby by riding through it on my 24"
    holding a hockey stick.

    Can anyone recommend of a place nearish it / on that end of the city
    centre to grab some food on the way as otherwise I'll be there early and
    hungry? I'm thinking takeaway / sandwich shop end of the market.

    If you're making an email list, my email is [email protected] and
    my mobile is 07905 696427
    (they're both on the web/usenet anyway, so I'm not fussed about spam).

    I'd be up for a cheeky pint although not too many or else I'll miss the
    last bus/train home to Beeston.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  8. roland

    roland Guest

    Can't really recommend anywhere for food in centre, there are some chip
    chops opposite the bus station but cannot say whether they are any good
    or not.
    Have checked the weather and its looking like it should be dry by
    Tuesday which is a good thing - I shall make the necessary offerings to
    the weather gods just to be sure. So get those unicycles prepared and
    will see you all tomorrow

    Cheers

    Roland

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  9. unicus

    unicus Guest

    Hope the weather is good to you (I’ve seen contradictory weather
    reports, nothing strange about that) but I can’t make it this time
    unfortunately, hopefully next time. I must say I’ve not played unihockey
    outside before.

    Gary

    --
    unicus

    Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  10. roland

    roland Guest

    Shame you can't make it-the more the merrier - you going to be available
    next week? The BBC claims glorious sunshine on Tuesday although I'm
    hoping for pitch darkness to get maximum value for moeny for the
    floodlights - it's a whole £1.30 on top of the price of the pitch - the
    only snag might be when we find that its a couple of candles on the goal
    posts - will report back on the merits or otherwise of outdoor hockey

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  11. GILD

    GILD Guest

    roland wrote:
    > * will report back on the merits or otherwise of outdoor hockey *

    hopefully with pics and full match-report?

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  12. roland

    roland Guest

    Will do my best for pictures and match report - it was looking hopefull
    that Mike Fule would be our ace in the pack on the literature side and
    with a little persuasion he might have been talked into transfering his
    ride reporting skills to hockey but he's been very quiet so it looks
    like it will fall into my incapable hands - it will soon become
    abundantly clear why none of the big news agencies have snapped up my
    far from over flowing bucket of prose composition skills. I myself will
    be surprised by the depths that I will no doubt plumb - time to dig out
    the cliche book...

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  13. roland

    roland Guest

    Will do my best for pictures and match report - it was looking hopefull
    that Mike Fule would be our ace in the pack on the literature side and
    with a little persuasion he might have been talked into transfering his
    ride reporting skills to hockey but he's been very quiet so it looks
    like it will fall into my incapable hands - it will soon become
    abundantly clear why none of the big news agencies have snapped up my
    far from over flowing bucket of prose composition skills. I myself will
    be surprised by the depths that I will no doubt plumb - time to dig out
    the cliche book...

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  14. GILD

    GILD Guest

    roland wrote:
    > *...it was looking hopefull that Mike Fule would be our ace in the
    > pack on the literature side and with a little persuasion he might have
    > been talked into transfering his ride reporting skills to hockey...*

    MikeFule writing up a unihoki match?
    my cup verily overfloweth
    must be the closest thing to Charles Fortune in print
    :)

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  15. GILD

    GILD Guest

    roland wrote:
    > *...it was looking hopefull that Mike Fule would be our ace in the
    > pack on the literature side and with a little persuasion he might have
    > been talked into transfering his ride reporting skills to hockey...*

    MikeFule writing up a unihoki match?
    my cup verily overfloweth
    must be the closest thing to Charles Fortune in print
    :)

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  16. roland

    roland Guest

    Will just bump this up to the top again - not to late to say you fancy
    coming and if there are any transport difficulties then let me know and
    I might be able to sort something out and that could include picking
    people up from Derby station if you're getting the train over - so don't
    be shy - you all know you want to :) Hope to see you tonight

    Cheers

    Roland

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  17. unicus

    unicus Guest

  18. roland

    roland Guest

    unicus wrote:
    > *Change of plans, I can make it :D
    >
    > See you there
    >
    > Gary *

    Now I realise who you were - I was beginning to wonder where all the
    Gary's were coming from - glad you could make it along, will have the
    report up soon

    --
    roland
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937

  19. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Wow, that was one hell of a game of hockey.

    Full sized teams, a massive pitch and a really good balance between the
    two sides.

    Riding in the rain on plastic pedals was a bit mental, I'm glad everyone
    was still up for playing despite the weather.

    Can't wait till next week!

    By the way, anyone interested in a muni night ride, I'll post up
    properly on a different thread, but it's going to be next Thursday
    (14th) starting at the Bramcote Hills Park / Hemlock Stone car park at 8
    o'clock which is <http://tinyurl.com/69gwt> here. Bring a light or a
    head torch or some candles or something.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde