derbyshire walk recommendation wanted

Mikey Mike

Guest
going to derbyshire on sunday, would normally go up Kinder from Hayfield or do the Edale round, but
my mate has rung to say he's got a dodgy leg (*) and doesn't want a lot of rough or too far

does anybody have recommendations for interesting lowish-level walks in the nw of derbyshire ?

(*) fell off a toboggan drunk in Austria - jammy b*****r !

Castelton, Cave Dale, Mam Tor, Hope, back along the valley. An 'easy' walk once you get onto Mam
Tor, plus the views are good. Ok not low level, but hey there is some snow around.

Or Mam Tor carpark Rushup Edge, pick a route to Edale back via Hollins cross, again fairly easy,
just two climbs, Rushup Edge and up to Hollins Cross

--

Ted Ferenc. (http://www.ndrw.co.uk) This message, and any attachment, is private and confidential.
news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, mikey mike wrote:

> does anybody have recommendations for interesting lowish-level walks in the nw of derbyshire ?

I was there with a friend a couple weeks back and again tomorrow. Apparently it's very windy, cold
and snowy up there but with the clear air there should be a great view. At one point we spent an
hour walking around and near Kinder Reservoir, and that was a nice relaxing section but perhaps a
bit boring if you're wanting the scenery all around you.

> (*) fell off a toboggan drunk in Austria - jammy b*****r !

You sort out the walk which takes you past a pub near the end, and he can get the beers in
in return :)

--
Chris

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:02:20 -0000, "mikey mike" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>going to derbyshire on sunday, would normally go up Kinder from Hayfield or do the Edale round, but
>my mate has rung to say he's got a dodgy leg (*) and doesn't want a lot of rough or too far
>
>does anybody have recommendations for interesting lowish-level walks in the nw of derbyshire ?

Cat and Fiddle, north over Shining Tor to Pym Chair then drop down to the ruins of Errwood Hall and
thence back to the pub. Bit of a climb at the end if your mate's leg is too dodgy, though.
Technically a little bit of this walk is in Cheshire.

I am supposed to be in Edale on Sunday morning. Anyone know any easy way of checking road conditions
in advance ? Other than the main cross-Pennine routes... I'm not sure I can be bothered sorting out
trains, or wish to rely on them.

--
I wish I was more like I think I am.

Mail john rather than nospam...

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:25:10 +0000, John Laird
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am supposed to be in Edale on Sunday morning. Anyone know any easy way of checking road
>conditions in advance ? Other than the main cross-Pennine routes... I'm not sure I can be bothered
>sorting out trains, or wish to rely on them.

FWIW, I've been to Buxton and back earlier today (from the south White Peak) and the roads are
completely clear with most of the snow melted. I'm off to Castleton in the morning - should be no
problems on Sunday according to recent forecasts.

But then there should have been no problems this morning - and there was a fair amount of snow last
night - which was a pain first thing in the morning.
--
Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:20:33 +0000, Paul Lydon <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:25:10 +0000, John Laird <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I am supposed to be in Edale on Sunday morning. Anyone know any easy way of checking road
>>conditions in advance ? Other than the main cross-Pennine routes... I'm not sure I can be bothered
>>sorting out trains, or wish to rely on them.
>
>FWIW, I've been to Buxton and back earlier today (from the south White Peak) and the roads are
>completely clear with most of the snow melted. I'm off to Castleton in the morning - should be no
>problems on Sunday according to recent forecasts.
>
>But then there should have been no problems this morning - and there was a fair amount of snow last
>night - which was a pain first thing in the morning.

Thanks for that. Most of the snowfall here in South Manchester pretty much vanished today.
(Sublimed for the most part.) Odd patches in shady areas still around. Often the real risk on quiet
roads is where a small stream runs over the road. With the temperatures forecast, skating rinks
will be likely !

If the walk goes ahead, it will be by some way the coldest conditions I have encountered. Here's
hoping for a bright sunny day.

--
I wish I was more like I think I am.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Hi, the roads in Edale have just a little slush now. Beware of the dip in the road about 2 miles
from Hope ,under the shade of the trees it holds black ice a LOT of the time. Voice of experience
I'm afraid.Richard, in Edale

On 28 Feb 2004 02:20:07 -0800, [email protected] (richard) wrote:

>Hi, the roads in Edale have just a little slush now. Beware of the dip in the road about 2 miles
>from Hope ,under the shade of the trees it holds black ice a LOT of the time. Voice of experience
>I'm afraid.Richard, in Edale

The power of Usenet. A poster from the target area !

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm coming from the Chapel end, however. Hope being down in the valley
t'other side of Castleton, IIRC. I will still take care.

--
Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Lots of people sledging on the Edale side of Mam Tor as they are snow covered all the way down to
the valley. Kinders slopes(south facing) just have the odd patches, way on high. As an idea park in
Edale ,use the shuttle bus to Mam Nick ,then do the ridge to Lose Hill . Walk back to Castleton,call
in for a drink at The Castle,then get the bus back to the car. Not too much climbing and a gentle
descent.I think the bus times are just after the hour till about 6pm, but you will need to check
that. Lokks like another sunny day ,have fun

On 28 Feb 2004 15:36:29 -0800, [email protected] (richard) wrote:

>Lots of people sledging on the Edale side of Mam Tor as they are snow covered all the way down to
>the valley. Kinders slopes(south facing) just have the odd patches, way on high. As an idea park in
>Edale ,use the shuttle bus to Mam Nick ,then do the ridge to Lose Hill . Walk back to
>Castleton,call in for a drink at The Castle,then get the bus back to the car. Not too much climbing
>and a gentle descent.I think the bus times are just after the hour till about 6pm, but you will
>need to check that. Lokks like another sunny day ,have fun

We got right up onto the Kinder plateau in much sunshine. It was absolutely stunning up there. My
third visit and so much more interesting with a bit of snow lying about - every time we popped up
onto another flat spot we could see another group wandering about. Shame about the sticky mud all
over the start of the Pennine Way but they didn't seem to mind in the Nag's Head :)

--
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Well we eventally went to Crowden and up to Black Hill - what a superb and glorious day - frozen
underfoot, clear blue sky and sun !!!

mikey mike wrote

> Well we eventally went to Crowden and up to Black Hill - what a superb and glorious day - frozen
> underfoot

The only conditions in which to venture onto Black Hill

<shudder - Theme from the Crystal Castle>

Chris
--
Cressbrook on the web
http://www.cressbrook.net