Derive max theorical FTP from VO2max.

Wow. WOW talk about picking the perfect parents for sports!!! I am jealous already :eek: My parents were great for handing out cookies. Not so much for the genes :)

daveryanwyoming said:
BTW, how did the recent test come out?

Did my MAP-Vo2max test this morning. (with gas Exchange).

Vo2max today: 4.697 L/min (1 min before quitting)

Vo2max in the octobre 2008 test (before I started training) : 3.767 L/min

I guess now I can STFU about being limited by my Vo2max :D

Wow....great progress! And yeah, time to shut up. I'm not a coach, but would say from here on out your only limitation is the ability to endure pain :)

midlife said:
...Vo2max today: 4.697 L/min (1 min before quitting)...
Great progress!

Did they record your power for that minute of maximal O2 uptake, or more to the point did the results include your Gross Metabolic Efficiency? That would be interesting to know as it's the most 'fixed' part of the major contributors to metabolic power and it let's you nail down your current FTP to P_VO2 Max ratio.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Did they record your power for that minute of maximal O2 uptake, or more to the point did the results include your Gross Metabolic Efficiency? That would be interesting to know as it's the most 'fixed' part of the major contributors to metabolic power and it let's you nail down your current FTP to P_VO2 Max ratio.

No GME in the report.
The test is 3min-30w. And I quit at the second minute mark of the 320w stage
The Vo2max number was at the minute mark of the 320w stage.

This is the watt result I had predicted which is pretty much consistant with my feeling that I have not really improved significantly since April. (during the summer I did not do any targetted training... only joy riding.. mostly mountains... with a 115 CTL peak in august... so there is part of an answer for Dancen about high CTL raising FTP... didn't work for me... but as I said... no targetted training)

My guess is that from oct 2008 to april 2009 much of the improvment was Vo2max and that since then I am working in increasing %of vo2max... and that increasing sustainable % of vo2max is a ****load harder than the initial absolute Vo2max increase. I basically got a free ride because I was untrained. I suspect I have not seen hard work yet.

Although it's only a number... it feels much better now to know that I have an ok volume of O2 to work with.

midlife said:
No GME in the report...The test is 3min-30w. And I quit at the second minute mark of the 320w stage...The Vo2max number was at the minute mark of the 320w stage...
You can't nail it down exactly with that ramp rate, but your GME is approximately 20% and IIRC your current FTP estimate was ~ 260 watts so your FTP to P_VO2 Max ratio is approximately 80%.

That's encouraging as there's definitely room to build your FTP even if the VO2 Max increases slow down substantially.
...My guess is that from oct 2008 to april 2009 much of the improvment was Vo2max and that since then I am working in increasing %of vo2max... and that increasing sustainable % of vo2max is a ****load harder than the initial absolute Vo2max increase. ....
I wouldn't take such a grim outlook. Your VO2 Max increased far more than you expected even with unstructured riding and you aren't pushing the envelope in terms of FTP vs. P_VO2 Max so there's plenty of room for continued improvement. You'll almost certainly do better with structured training, but it doesn't have to be a ****load harder, it'll take longer and you have to train for the long haul but SST/L4 work isn't all that bad as long as you don't start chasing records every time you train.

FWIW, based on your recent numbers and progress to date I suspect you can bring your FTP up to 300 watts if you add some structure to your training and stick with it for a while.

Good luck,
-Dave

I had a VO2max test done a little while back and I'm not really sure what to make of it. I'm trying to figure out if I still have room to improve. From the discussion I'm beginning to think I've hit one limit, with current improvements just coming from efficiency. Is it possible to tell from those numbers?
As an aside, is there a general ftp and watts/kg number for masters participating in the national road race?
Thanks.

Sthenic said:
As an aside, is there a general ftp and watts/kg number for masters participating in the national road race?
What age group? By participate, you mean pack fodder, or do your really mean top 10 finish? In the 50-54s, I would guess 4.0 is minimal for pack fodder, and 5.0 is the minimal price of entry into the top 10.

Fightin Boba said:
What age group? By participate, you mean pack fodder, or do your really mean top 10 finish? In the 50-54s, I would guess 4.0 is minimal for pack fodder, and 5.0 is the minimal price of entry into the top 10.

Thank you. I'd be entering the 40+ category and top ten would be nice. I'm not sure I could afford to go, so I'd like to figure out if I have a chance of doing well. Not to mention, I'd have to work on my weaknesses a bit as I'm mostly a hill climber, and longer ones at that.
As for numbers, I'm about a 4.9 and may up that to just over 5 next year. It's been small gains lately. VO2 test showed aerobic at 49, anearobic at 54 and a peak of 73. A bit of an anearobic weakness I think. FTP 330-340. I'm guessing I need to shoot for 350+.
Regardless, thanks for the information. Maybe it will be worth trying to go in a couple of years.