DeRosa bicycle warranty?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Cramer, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Jim Cramer

    Jim Cramer Guest

    Hi,

    I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is less than 4 years and just
    developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right rear chainstay just ahead of the dropout.

    My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues and
    was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.

    The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.

    Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.

    Many thanks, Jim

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Fastrack

    Fastrack Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:16:35 -0500, "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is less than 4 years and just
    > developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right rear chainstay just ahead of the dropout.
    >
    >My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues and
    >was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.
    >
    >The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.
    >
    >Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.
    >
    >Many thanks, Jim
    >
    >[email protected]

    Mr. Hugo D. doesn't accept returns...

    even if he wasn't on vacation.....

    Buy American...

    Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
    775-248-7632 Fax 805-680-7094 Cell

    www.fastrackbicycles.com

    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:16:35 -0500, "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Hi, I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is less than 4 years and just
    >>developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right rear chainstay just ahead of the dropout. My
    >>local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues and
    >>was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty. The DeRosa web site does not seem
    >>to have warranty info on it. Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could
    >>you mail me the info. Many thanks, Jim [email protected]
    >Mr. Hugo D. doesn't accept returns... even if he wasn't on vacation.....

    How does he stay in business? Who would every buy a second derosa when the first fails in a
    short time?
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "FasTrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:16:35 -0500, "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is
    less
    > >than 4 years and just developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right
    rear
    > >chainstay just ahead of the dropout.
    > >
    > >My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues
    > >and was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.
    > >
    > >The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.
    > >
    > >Many thanks, Jim
    > >
    > >[email protected]
    > >

    > Mr. Hugo D. doesn't accept returns...
    >
    > even if he wasn't on vacation.....
    >
    > Buy American...

    Sounds xenophobic, but probably true in this case since many of the American manufacturers offer
    life-time warranties and local customer service. I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one
    year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a lifetime warranty and a devoted dealer network. --
    Jay Beattie.

  5. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a
    > lifetime warranty and a devoted dealer network. -- Jay Beattie.

    I have never wondered about this at all.

    Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless they were under contract...

  6. Us

    Us Guest

    Nah I don't think Dave's xenophobic cause I've seen brand P in his shop, and he loves to sell
    Campy..... :))

  7. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a
    > > lifetime warranty and a devoted dealer network. -- Jay Beattie.
    > >

    > I have never wondered about this at all.
    >
    > Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless they
    were
    > under contract...

    I wonder about people who imagine that any of today's frames are 'better' than another as
    long they fit.

  8. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:57:04 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have never wondered about this at all.
    >
    >Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless they were under contract...

    Thats a pretty lame troll attempt. Come on, I know you can do better than that.

    What is the world coming to...

  9. I reccomend a Trek 1000. It's 5 pounds heavier than the 5200, but walls of the tubes are thicker.
    That's what is wrong with the deRosa. The deRosa has beer can thick tubing..

  10. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a
    > > lifetime warranty and a devoted
    dealer
    > > network. -- Jay Beattie.
    > >

    > I have never wondered about this at all.
    >
    > Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless
    they were
    > under contract...

    Why is the Trek a piece of crap? I don't own one, but I would like to know. The people I know who
    own OCLVs seem to like them very much, and I would even consider buying one myself if I were in the
    mood for spending money.

    I break equipment with some regularity, including frames and would not buy any frame with a one-year
    warranty, especially a frame that costs nearly $4000. Also, IIRC, the C40's one-year warranty is
    void if you race the bike. I raced for almost 20 years on and off and broke 3 racing frames (2
    steel, 1Al) -- all were fixed under warranty. If I had been riding C40s, I would have shelled out
    $12,000 for new frames. Seems a little spendy for the usual USCF pack-filler with no contract. --
    Jay Beattie.

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Not to be harsh but that is really something to find out before or as you are buying it.

    "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is less than 4 years and just
    > developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right rear chainstay just ahead of the dropout.
    >
    > My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues and
    > was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.
    >
    > The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.
    >
    > Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.
    >
    > Many thanks, Jim
    >
    > [email protected]

  12. > Good luck! Those "pro-level" bikes are disposable...

    Superglue can perform wonders at times.

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:te%[email protected]...

    > "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that
    is less
    > > than 4 years and just developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right
    rear
    > > chainstay just ahead of the dropout.
    > >
    > > My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues
    > > and was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.
    > >
    > > The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.
    > >
    > > Many thanks, Jim
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > Good luck! Those "pro-level" bikes are disposable...

    If you buy a pro-level aluminum bike don't expect it to last much past a year. How do you think they
    get the weight down so low?

  14. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    > > Good luck! Those "pro-level" bikes are disposable...
    > >

    > Superglue can perform wonders at times.

    Its interesting that if this was a steel DeRosa, it could be repaired by almost any builder.
    Similarly, if it was carbon, I understand Craig Calfee, www.calfeedesign.com, might be able to
    repair it. How about finding an a builder of aluminum bikes and see what they can do. Somebody like
    Harry Havnoonian (HH Racing Group) out of Philly repairs frames like Vitus, he might be able to do
    something. Similarly, I believe Anvil also works with al frames. It should be alot cheaper than
    shipping it back to Italy (if you could)....

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Good luck! Those "pro-level" bikes are disposable...
    > > >

    > > Superglue can perform wonders at times.
    > >
    > Its interesting that if this was a steel DeRosa, it could be
    repaired by
    > almost any builder. Similarly, if it was carbon, I understand Craig
    Calfee,
    > www.calfeedesign.com, might be able to repair it. How about finding
    an a
    > builder of aluminum bikes and see what they can do. Somebody like
    Harry
    > Havnoonian (HH Racing Group) out of Philly repairs frames like
    Vitus, he
    > might be able to do something. Similarly, I believe Anvil also works
    with al
    > frames. It should be alot cheaper than shipping it back to Italy (if
    you
    > could)....

    No can do. The aluminum bikes turn to brittle glass if you weld on them.

  16. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a
    > > lifetime warranty and a devoted
    dealer
    > > network. -- Jay Beattie.
    > >

    > I have never wondered about this at all.
    >
    > Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless
    they were
    > under contract...

    I have two Colnagos and they are nothing special. I have a steel Basso and it is something special.

  17. Matt Locker

    Matt Locker Guest

    --------------010104030206070304060902 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Because a Colnago is (A) the next best thing to a Ferrari - Italian, fast, gorgeous. Unfortunately,
    it's (B) the next worst thing to a Fiat
    - badly made. You don't find out about the second part until after you've taken the plunge due to
    part A! I lusted for one, had it delivered to my bike shop, and was horribly disappointed to find
    that the brazing on this beautiful frame was straight out of "Shop 101". Pin holes in the seat
    cluster brazing, an actual hole in the braze at the rear dropout large enough to look into the
    chain stay. I sent it back and ordered a Pegoretti - a very nice bike!

    MOO, Matt

    Jay Beattie wrote:

    >"FasTrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:16:35 -0500, "Jim Cramer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is
    >>>

    >less
    >

    >>>than 4 years and just developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right
    >>>

    >rear
    >

    >>>chainstay just ahead of the dropout.
    >>>
    >>>My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues
    >>>and was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.
    >>>
    >>>The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks, Jim
    >>>
    >>>[email protected]
    >>>

    >>Mr. Hugo D. doesn't accept returns...
    >>
    >>even if he wasn't on vacation.....
    >>
    >>Buy American...
    >>

    >Sounds xenophobic, but probably true in this case since many of the American manufacturers offer
    >life-time warranties and local customer service. I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one
    >year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a lifetime warranty and a devoted dealer network. --
    >Jay Beattie.

    --------------010104030206070304060902 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    Because a Colnago is (A) the next best thing to a Ferrari - Italian, fast, gorgeous.
    Unfortunately, it's (B) the next worst thing to a Fiat - badly made. You don't find out
    about the second part until after you've taken the plunge due to part A! I lusted for one, had
    it delivered to my bike shop, and was horribly disappointed to find that the brazing on this
    beautiful frame was straight out of "Shop 101". Pin holes in the seat cluster brazing, an
    actual hole in the braze at the rear dropout large enough to look into the chain stay. I sent
    wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
    wrap="">"FasTrack" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message <a
    class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]">news:l51hfvgmh-
    2003 11:16:35 -0500, "Jim Cramer" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:

    I have a DeRosa Aluminum (Altec), model "Planet", road bike that is </pre> </blockquote>
    wrap="">than 4 years and just developed a crack 2/3 of the way around the right </pre> </blockquote>
    wrap="">chainstay just ahead of the dropout.

    My local bike shop manager contacted some US DeRosa Rep who supposedly handles warranty issues and
    was shocked to be told that DeRosa have only a 2-year warranty.

    The DeRosa web site does not seem to have warranty info on it.

    Does anyone know for sure what their warranty is? If you do, could you mail me the info.

    Many thanks, Jim

    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

    even if he wasn't on vacation.....

  18. "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Good luck! Those "pro-level" bikes are disposable...
    > > >

    > > Superglue can perform wonders at times.
    >
    > Its interesting that if this was a steel DeRosa, it could be repaired by almost any builder.
    > Similarly, if it was carbon, I understand Craig
    Calfee,
    > www.calfeedesign.com, might be able to repair it. How about finding an a builder of aluminum bikes
    > and see what they can do.

    <snip>

    There is a reason for that.

    It's not a good idea to repair aluminum. I'll speculate that an established builder would not be
    willing to do a repair due to liability concerns (the repair isn't likely to last).

    They'd rather just build a new bike. ~$50-100 for a tubeset and it's very easy to miter.

  19. catbsq

    catbsq Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I always wonder why people buy a C40 with a one year warranty rather than a Trek OCLV with a
    > > > lifetime warranty and a devoted
    > dealer
    > > > network. -- Jay Beattie.
    > > >

    > > I have never wondered about this at all.
    > >
    > > Instead I wonder why anyone would ride a piece of crap Trek unless
    > they were
    > > under contract...
    >
    > Why is the Trek a piece of crap? I don't own one, but I would like to know. The people I know who
    > own OCLVs seem to like them very much, and I would even consider buying one myself if I were in
    > the mood for spending money.

    Why I feel the Trek a piece of crap:

    - Bladder molded frame allows for seams, parting lines and inconsistent tube wall thickness
    - Upon curing, the exterior surface of the frame is so uneven that it requires the use of body
    filler (bondo) to smooth out the tubes
    - Voids present between the layers of carbon
    - My own 1st hand experience with OCLV frames blowing apart.

    If the manufacturer knows what they are doing, a one year warranty is sufficient. They know that,
    with their high quality manufacturing process, any defects in manufacturing are going to show up
    within 12 months of riding.

    A manufacturer that does not know what they are doing (or just doesn't care) offers a lifetime
    warranty because:

    - They know that a good number of their products will fail, due to manufacturing defect,
    after one year.
    - Their manufacturing process is so cheap versus what they charge for the frames that they can
    afford to give away replacement frames forever.
    - They are more concerned with marketing and advertising than making a quality product.

    The OCLV is good for one thing and that is making money for Trek...

  20. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > If the manufacturer knows what they are doing, a one year warranty is sufficient. They know that,
    > with their high quality manufacturing
    process,
    > any defects in manufacturing are going to show up within 12 months of riding.

    If that's true, then why not offer a lifetime warranty?