Des Moines Mayor Rides Rain with NBG Don!

Cycle America

Guest
Press Conference is over and we did well. Because of the rain, we
brought the ceremony indoors in the Council Chambers. To make this a
real family affair, Mayor Cownie's daughter Suzanne (Susie) joined the
ride with her dad and the cyclists to City Hall and also attended the
proclamation ceremony. Some of the riders brought their bicycles
upstairs to use as a backdrop to the walnut paneling that frames our
official city business room, still set in its turn of the century decor.
The ceremony was broadcast live and will be shown on local TV
intermittently over the next several days. We will continue to broadcast
it over the next year - keeping the NBG goal alive and well in Des
Moines.

After Mayor Cownie read the proclamation he introduced Don Loomis to the
crowd (25 to 30 people) in the Council Chambers and Don did a wonderful
job explaining the goals of the NBG and giving details of his trip
across America. The audience was made up of city employees and
citizens, many who are planning to ride RAGBRAI next week. (Next year
everyone present talked about how we need to try and coordinate the two
rides so that the NBG can get its message out to the thousands who ride
in RAGBRAI and then take their experience back to their own
communities.)

Anyway, we have another year under our belts and the NBG mission is
attracting many more participants. This year alone you nearly tripled in
size in the number of cities you reached. Congratulations Martin!
Looking forward to the NBG Mayor's Ride 2005. See you next year!

btw: Our Mayor just left with Don and Robert to go cut a railroad tie as
he does a high profile groundbreaking for an eagerly anticipated bike
trail center! Pictures of everything soon...

Lorna L. Davros, CPS
Exec. Admin. Ass't to the Mayor and Council
Member EO/AA Committee
(515) 283-4944

Yesterday, many of you saw the report that Faye Sauunders filed for Don
on his ride from Omaha to Des Moines. You can see that report and all
the reports about Don's ride at:

http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/Reports/Archive
s/cat_don_loomis.php#000292

Steve Shaw is blazing toward the big celebration Indianapolis has in
store for us tomorrow. In fact, he's not even in Indy yet and already
newspapers are contacting us for resource material about his ride. You
can see what we've already blogged for Steve at:

http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/Reports/Archive
s/cat_cinci_to_indy.php#000291

This as high tech CEO, Victor Grinshtein, patiently rolls along on his
Rowbike (http://rowbike.com)

I lived in DesMoines for 9 years...and I hear from friends who live there that it's all about highway construction these days. Nice to hear a good story. I really enjoyed DesMoines.