Descending the Poggio...



R

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article
<[email protected]m>,
ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> ...would be hard as hell on that thing (far left)!
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races08/msr08/msr08-break.jpg
>
> What is that, an Italian Segway?
>
> -rj


S'not right is what it is. I'm too lazy to check, but by the windshield
badge it looks like a Gilera.

Ayup:

<http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag5/art20070515/htm/mo
bil-moto-gilera-fuoco-500.htm>

It's the ugly older sister to the Piaggio MP3. The existence of either
"scooter" is inexplicable. It probably has really good cornering grip
and I'd rather not be around when the front tires start breaking loose.

--
Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]m>,
ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:

> ...would be hard as hell on that thing (far left)!
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races08/msr08/msr08-break.jpg
>
> What is that, an Italian Segway?


It's a three wheeled scooter, as seen here:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/07/vespa/source/7.htm

Or here:

http://www.plunderguide.com/autos/motorcycles/piaggio-mp3-the-three-wheeled-scooter/

Or here:

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/02/15/piaggio-mp3/

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected][74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]m>,
> ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ...would be hard as hell on that thing (far left)!
> >
> > http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races08/msr08/msr08-break.jpg
> >
> > What is that, an Italian Segway?
> >
> > -rj

>
> S'not right is what it is. I'm too lazy to check, but by the windshield
> badge it looks like a Gilera.
>
> Ayup:
>
> <http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag5/art20070515/htm/mo
> bil-moto-gilera-fuoco-500.htm>
>
> It's the ugly older sister to the Piaggio MP3. The existence of either
> "scooter" is inexplicable. It probably has really good cornering grip
> and I'd rather not be around when the front tires start breaking loose.


I'd like to see someone get a knee down on one of these.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
R

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected][74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <[email protected]m>,
> > ronaldo_jeremiah <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > ...would be hard as hell on that thing (far left)!
> > >
> > > http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races08/msr08/msr08-break.jpg
> > >
> > > What is that, an Italian Segway?
> > >
> > > -rj

> >
> > S'not right is what it is. I'm too lazy to check, but by the windshield
> > badge it looks like a Gilera.
> >
> > Ayup:
> >
> > <http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/mag5/art20070515/htm/mo
> > bil-moto-gilera-fuoco-500.htm>
> >
> > It's the ugly older sister to the Piaggio MP3. The existence of either
> > "scooter" is inexplicable. It probably has really good cornering grip
> > and I'd rather not be around when the front tires start breaking loose.

>
> I'd like to see someone get a knee down on one of these.


I once got a knee down riding a sidecar rig. The sidecar rig was on top
of me at the time.

Three bystanders flipped it over and freed me.

That said...your wish is my google:

<http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=it_en&trur
l=http%3a%2f%2fwww.motoblog.it%2fpost%2f3994%2fmp3-messo-al-torchio#show_
comments>

Kneesliding! Stoppies! I think in that last photo, he could be dragging
his elbow if he cared to (though the bike-hanging spectacle is so
exaggerated he's having trouble reaching the far handlebar, and is
awkwardly gripping the near bar).

Okay, that was only the Piaggio. And now, the Gilera Fuoco:

<http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2006/11/three-spree-gilera-fuoco-500.htm
l>

Despite my misgivings, the handling is supposed to be way more forgiving
than a usual motorcycle.

This review shows a video of the thing in action, which demonstrates
that at least on one side, the centrestand drags early and often.

<http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2007/December/
dec1007gilerafuoco/>

Downsides: heavy, expensive. 500cc single is good for 40 hp. Looks like
what happens when mechanical engineers use Autocad while high.

Yeah, I kinda want one now.

--
Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected][74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:


> > I'd like to see someone get a knee down on one of these.

>
> I once got a knee down riding a sidecar rig. The sidecar rig was on top
> of me at the time.
>
> Three bystanders flipped it over and freed me.


Ouch.

> That said...your wish is my google:
>
> <http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=it_en&trur
> l=http%3a%2f%2fwww.motoblog.it%2fpost%2f3994%2fmp3-messo-al-torchio#show_
> comments>


I guess one could do pretty much any stunt on pretty much any bike, if one were to
persist.

http://www.vf750fd.com/motorbikes/abk.jpg

> Kneesliding! Stoppies! I think in that last photo, he could be dragging
> his elbow if he cared to (though the bike-hanging spectacle is so
> exaggerated he's having trouble reaching the far handlebar, and is
> awkwardly gripping the near bar).
>
> Okay, that was only the Piaggio. And now, the Gilera Fuoco:
>
> <http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2006/11/three-spree-gilera-fuoco-500.htm
> l>
>
> Despite my misgivings, the handling is supposed to be way more forgiving
> than a usual motorcycle.
>
> This review shows a video of the thing in action, which demonstrates
> that at least on one side, the centrestand drags early and often.
>
> <http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2007/December/
> dec1007gilerafuoco/>
>
> Downsides: heavy, expensive. 500cc single is good for 40 hp.


There'll be kits to hop them up. Count on it. Italian kids wouldn't have it any
other way. I suppose it's sort of related, but Eddie Lawson has a shifter kart that
has one of the 500 2 stroke triple engines out of the Roberts GP bikes. Holy ****...

> Looks like what happens when mechanical engineers use Autocad while high.


"Don't worry, smoke crack" as a motto.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
R

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected][74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> > > I'd like to see someone get a knee down on one of these.

> >
> > I once got a knee down riding a sidecar rig. The sidecar rig was on top
> > of me at the time.
> >
> > Three bystanders flipped it over and freed me.

>
> Ouch.
>
> > That said...your wish is my google:
> >
> > <http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=it_en&trur
> > l=http%3a%2f%2fwww.motoblog.it%2fpost%2f3994%2fmp3-messo-al-torchio#show_
> > comments>

>
> I guess one could do pretty much any stunt on pretty much any bike, if one
> were to
> persist.
>
> http://www.vf750fd.com/motorbikes/abk.jpg
>
> > Kneesliding! Stoppies! I think in that last photo, he could be dragging
> > his elbow if he cared to (though the bike-hanging spectacle is so
> > exaggerated he's having trouble reaching the far handlebar, and is
> > awkwardly gripping the near bar).
> >
> > Okay, that was only the Piaggio. And now, the Gilera Fuoco:
> >
> > <http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2006/11/three-spree-gilera-fuoco-500.htm
> > l>
> >
> > Despite my misgivings, the handling is supposed to be way more forgiving
> > than a usual motorcycle.
> >
> > This review shows a video of the thing in action, which demonstrates
> > that at least on one side, the centrestand drags early and often.
> >
> > <http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2007/December/
> > dec1007gilerafuoco/>
> >
> > Downsides: heavy, expensive. 500cc single is good for 40 hp.

>
> There'll be kits to hop them up. Count on it. Italian kids wouldn't have
> it any
> other way. I suppose it's sort of related, but Eddie Lawson has a shifter
> kart that
> has one of the 500 2 stroke triple engines out of the Roberts GP bikes. Holy
> ****...


That sounds like some sort of nuclear response to Wayne "paraplegic"
Rainey's 250 shifter kart. The concept of a 200-odd hp kart is...great!

> > Looks like what happens when mechanical engineers use Autocad while high.

>
> "Don't worry, smoke crack" as a motto.


It makes a good case for crack, though.

--
Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."