Descent from Dore Head

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Crossley, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I will be in the Wast Water area at Easter and intend doing the
    Mosedale Horseshoe, but I do not want to include Yewbarrow (makes it
    too long) so would like to descend at Dore head. How difficult is it.
    To give an idea someone asked on a scale of 1 - 5 how difficult Green
    to Great Gable is and I would give it a 2, and we have descended the
    path at wind gap (Pillar not Gable) though in serious mist which
    funnily enough made it easier as you could not see the drop.
    Regards Steve

    Tags:

  2. Hi Steve,
    I did the same route 4-5 years ago. The descent from Dore Head is on
    loose scree, so watch out for other people above and below. I remember
    descending it quite quickly, but having to do a few sideways manoeuvres
    to pick a new line. I think you'd probably score it a 3.

    You can see a report of my trip at...
    http://cgi.simonedwardes.plus.com/PillarRock.htm
    which is mainly about my ascent of Pillar Rock. One of the photos is a
    view across to Yewbarrow from Pillar, with Dore Head and the line of
    descent clearly visible.

    Cheers, Simon
    website: The Mountains of England and Wales
    http://cgi.simonedwardes.plus.com

  3. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    Steve Crossley wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I will be in the Wast Water area at Easter and intend doing the
    > Mosedale Horseshoe, but I do not want to include Yewbarrow (makes it
    > too long) so would like to descend at Dore head. How difficult is it.
    > To give an idea someone asked on a scale of 1 - 5 how difficult Green
    > to Great Gable is and I would give it a 2, and we have descended the
    > path at wind gap (Pillar not Gable) though in serious mist which
    > funnily enough made it easier as you could not see the drop.
    > Regards Steve

    It's pretty straightforward if you've descended screes before, I've
    done it a few times and would grade it as no more than a 2. Ther's a
    photo looking down it on here:
    http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2004/4 April/26.4.04.htm

  4. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Crossley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    > I will be in the Wast Water area at Easter and intend doing the
    > Mosedale Horseshoe, but I do not want to include Yewbarrow (makes it
    > too long) so would like to descend at Dore head. How difficult is it.
    > To give an idea someone asked on a scale of 1 - 5 how difficult Green
    > to Great Gable is and I would give it a 2, and we have descended the
    > path at wind gap (Pillar not Gable) though in serious mist which
    > funnily enough made it easier as you could not see the drop.
    > Regards Steve

    My father and I *ascended* the scree slopes of Dore Head in June 2004,
    whilst both carrying extremely heavy packs (we were doing a week long
    trek around the lakes and were carrying everything we needed for the
    journey). We found it **extremely** tough going. It is very steep,
    and the scree is a killer (one step up, slide two steps down etc.).
    The grass either side isn't much easier, and there is/was quite a bit
    of erosion.

    Descending will obviously be easier (IMO). At the end of the day you
    could sit on your a*se and slide. Whether you want to do that is
    another matter. It was mostly the steepness that we found tough,
    combined with the weight we were carrying (which also caused some
    centre-of-gravity problems due to the gradient) - and this is more of
    a problem ascending. Not sure how I'd grade it as a descent, as
    opinions differ. But I'd much rather be descending it with a light
    daysack than trying to get up the bugger with a pack that seemed to
    weigh more than I did.

    Michael S

  5. John Dawson

    John Dawson Guest

    On 4 Mar 2005 06:08:07 -0800, "Sean McMahon"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Crossley wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I will be in the Wast Water area at Easter and intend doing the
    >> Mosedale Horseshoe, but I do not want to include Yewbarrow (makes it
    >> too long) so would like to descend at Dore head. How difficult is it.
    >> To give an idea someone asked on a scale of 1 - 5 how difficult Green
    >> to Great Gable is and I would give it a 2, and we have descended the
    >> path at wind gap (Pillar not Gable) though in serious mist which
    >> funnily enough made it easier as you could not see the drop.
    >> Regards Steve

    >It's pretty straightforward if you've descended screes before, I've
    >done it a few times and would grade it as no more than a 2. Ther's a
    >photo looking down it on here:
    >http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2004/4 April/26.4.04.htm

    ....and here's another one:
    http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/dorescq.html

    HTH

    John D.
    --
    John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
    Lake District Walks Web Pages: http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

  6. theo

    theo Guest

    "Steve Crossley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    > I will be in the Wast Water area at Easter and intend doing the
    > Mosedale Horseshoe, but I do not want to include Yewbarrow (makes it
    > too long) so would like to descend at Dore head. How difficult is it.
    > To give an idea someone asked on a scale of 1 - 5 how difficult Green
    > to Great Gable is and I would give it a 2, and we have descended the
    > path at wind gap (Pillar not Gable) though in serious mist which
    > funnily enough made it easier as you could not see the drop.

    And how does it compare to the scree below An Stac in the Cuillin (perfect
    IMO) and Mullach an Rathain on Liathach (nasty, almost got hit on the head
    by rockfall) ?

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  7. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 22:48:13 +0000, Simon Caldwell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:26:12 +0100, "theo" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>And how does it compare to the scree below An Stac in the Cuillin (perfect
    >>IMO) and Mullach an Rathain on Liathach (nasty, almost got hit on the head
    >>by rockfall) ?

    >It shouldn't really be called scree any more as it was run out long
    >ago. Loose earth and mud now.
    >extraordinarily unpleasant. IMHO it's well worth the extra distance
    >to take in Yewbarrow. Not only do you get to do one of the finest
    >hills in the lakes, but you also avoid having the day spoiled by the
    >descent from Dore Head.
    >Simon

    I agree completely. All the small scree has long gone. It's a pita
    using that route - *much* better to include Yewbarrow, which is a far
    better mountain than its meagre height suggests (did I produce that
    thought or did AW say it?) In fact, it's a gem - so there's no excuse
    whatever for omitting it! Mosedale is a grim valley too - much better
    to end your walk with a fine view of heaven.

  8. Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the full route is too far with
    children, but all depending on how the weather goes we will be doing
    Gable and Kirk fell via the climbers traverse the day before so I will
    take the binos for a peek at Dore Head.
    Thanks Steve

  9. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Steve Crossley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the full route is too far with
    > children, but all depending on how the weather goes we will be doing
    > Gable and Kirk fell via the climbers traverse the day before so I will
    > take the binos for a peek at Dore Head.
    > Thanks Steve

    Having climbed Dore Head last summer I personally would not go up or down it
    again. The erosion is terrible and it does not feel too safe. Really scary
    is having a group of Fell Runners come jogging down past you as you scramble
    around on loose mud and stones.
    There is a path around the back of Yewbarrow from Dore Head you could take
    along Over Beck, this might be further distance but ultimately safer and
    less damaging.

    HTH,
    Nick