Descente Cycling Apparel (shorts primarily)

Chris M

Guest
Descente is an international sports / active apparel manufacturer that
has allowed a company in the US to use the Descente brand as a licensee
operating by the name "Descente Athletic".

I would like to know if anyone can tell me whether the new products are
as good as the original shorts in terms of fit. I know that chamois
today are completely different as the market most people seem to expect
the chamois to perform the dampening work that would have otherwise
been dealt with in the bike design, but that is w whole separate issue.
I have no problems with the newer chamois, I just wonder about the
prices I see and I wonder how much of these increases in price are
related to the cost of them.

Anyway, can anyone compare the current "Descente Athletic" shorts
and knickers with the original Japanese shorts that were sold in the
1980s and early 1990s?

TIA

I used to buy and wear Descente apparel, before they stopped making
cycling wear. I agree, it was of high quality. I still have and
occasionally wear a long sleeved jersey from that time, and a friend of
mine wore his shorts until recently (and maybe he still does).

Another friend has recently purchased some Descente clothing, and seems
pleased with it. I think it is too soon to know whether it will match
the "old" gear in durability.

Also, Descente makes the Team CSC kit for 2006. I assume the same gear
is sold in at least North America and Europe, since CSC is a company
with substantial numbers of employees on both continents (as well as
Australia, and some in Asia). I wonder if all the gear is made by one
licensee. I also wonder whether Bjarne Riis and company got any
assurances as to quality before switching suppliers for this year.

Prices for bib shorts are outrageous - almost in Assos territory - so I
haven't bought any CSC clothing for 2006.

One way to tell about Descente quality and / or customer satisfaction
may be by seeing whether Team CSC stays with Descente for 2007.

In article <[email protected]>,
Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:

> I used to buy and wear Descente apparel, before they stopped making
> cycling wear. I agree, it was of high quality. I still have and
> occasionally wear a long sleeved jersey from that time, and a friend of
> mine wore his shorts until recently (and maybe he still does).

I bought a Descente exploded polyester ski jacket (no I
do not ski) twenty years ago and it is still intact and
warm.

--
Michael Press

Chris M wrote:
> Descente is an international sports / active apparel manufacturer that
> has allowed a company in the US to use the Descente brand as a licensee
> operating by the name "Descente Athletic".
>
> I would like to know if anyone can tell me whether the new products are
> as good as the original shorts in terms of fit. I know that chamois
> today are completely different as the market most people seem to expect
> the chamois to perform the dampening work that would have otherwise
> been dealt with in the bike design, but that is w whole separate issue.
> I have no problems with the newer chamois, I just wonder about the
> prices I see and I wonder how much of these increases in price are
> related to the cost of them.
>
> Anyway, can anyone compare the current "Descente Athletic" shorts
> and knickers with the original Japanese shorts that were sold in the
> 1980s and early 1990s?
>
> TIA

I tried some 2005 DESCENTE Aero-X shorts. I sent them back, primarily
because I'm bothered by seams in the "Phantom X-Static" chamois between
the main pad and the wings ("baseball" seams?). Maybe they've changed
this nowadays, not sure.

> Prices for bib shorts are outrageous - almost in Assos territory - so I
> haven't bought any CSC clothing for 2006.

Tell me about it! Those are my exact thoughts when I was browsing. It
seems as though lots of brands were inspired by Assos and now have most
of the styles priced closer to $200 than $100. This is a fairly new
trend and I wonder what else is behind this. The last time I paid
retail prices for bibs, $80-$100 was the going rate for good quality.
In today's currency, that translates to about $150, which I don't mind
paying for Assos quality...but from what I can tell there are not too
many excellent styles out there. I read a few reviews by people that
seemed to know what they were talking about (most don't, since they
post comments without having relevant experience to compare) and it
seems as if the "Sportful" "Tour" style and some Giordana and
Cannondale styles are pretty good for the money. Pear Izumi are still
pretty good and I am familiar with them as the most recent team
supplier. Voler also seem to be holding up their market niche pretty
well but I am hoping to find some bibs that are a bit better than
Voler's best selling style. Voler has a new style that they are testing
that seems to be higher quality, only available in black (or custom
order).

I've got some Giordana on the way and a single pair of the Descente
Aero-Exo. I am thinking about ordering a trial of the Pearl Izumi "Team
Ultrasensor" but they look pretty ugly in some of the photos, with a
white logo panel that comes straight down from the top and then turns
sharply towards the sides. The Pearl website shows the same bibs but
with a white logo panel that is more typical (going more or less
straight from the top). Finally, I have been talking to "Pace" about
their custom program that looks excellent by offering higher quality
than Voler albeit for a higher cost. I have arranged to try a sample,
so by the spring time I guess I'll be an expert on bib shorts.

In article
<[email protected]>
,
"Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Prices for bib shorts are outrageous - almost in Assos territory - so I
> > haven't bought any CSC clothing for 2006.

> Tell me about it! Those are my exact thoughts when I was browsing. It
> seems as though lots of brands were inspired by Assos and now have most
> of the styles priced closer to $200 than $100. This is a fairly new
> trend and I wonder what else is behind this. The last time I paid
> retail prices for bibs, $80-$100 was the going rate for good quality.
> In today's currency, that translates to about $150, which I don't mind
> paying for Assos quality...but from what I can tell there are not too
> many excellent styles out there. I read a few reviews by people that
> seemed to know what they were talking about (most don't, since they
> post comments without having relevant experience to compare) and it
> seems as if the "Sportful" "Tour" style and some Giordana and
> Cannondale styles are pretty good for the money. Pear Izumi are still
> pretty good and I am familiar with them as the most recent team
> supplier. Voler also seem to be holding up their market niche pretty
> well but I am hoping to find some bibs that are a bit better than
> Voler's best selling style. Voler has a new style that they are testing
> that seems to be higher quality, only available in black (or custom
> order).
>
> I've got some Giordana on the way and a single pair of the Descente
> Aero-Exo. I am thinking about ordering a trial of the Pearl Izumi "Team
> Ultrasensor" but they look pretty ugly in some of the photos, with a
> white logo panel that comes straight down from the top and then turns
> sharply towards the sides. The Pearl website shows the same bibs but
> with a white logo panel that is more typical (going more or less
> straight from the top). Finally, I have been talking to "Pace" about
> their custom program that looks excellent by offering higher quality
> than Voler albeit for a higher cost. I have arranged to try a sample,
> so by the spring time I guess I'll be an expert on bib shorts.

I just found Blackbottom eight panel bib shorts for $75
on the web. They fit great, thick fabric, true four way
stretch, flat seams, tough seams. I would need to hear
some very persuasive arguments to ride anything else.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>
> ,
> "Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Prices for bib shorts are outrageous - almost in Assos territory - so I
>>> haven't bought any CSC clothing for 2006.

>> Tell me about it! Those are my exact thoughts when I was browsing. It
>> seems as though lots of brands were inspired by Assos and now have most
>> of the styles priced closer to $200 than $100. This is a fairly new
>> trend and I wonder what else is behind this. The last time I paid
>> retail prices for bibs, $80-$100 was the going rate for good quality.
>> In today's currency, that translates to about $150, which I don't mind
>> paying for Assos quality...but from what I can tell there are not too
>> many excellent styles out there. I read a few reviews by people that
>> seemed to know what they were talking about (most don't, since they
>> post comments without having relevant experience to compare) and it
>> seems as if the "Sportful" "Tour" style and some Giordana and
>> Cannondale styles are pretty good for the money. Pear Izumi are still
>> pretty good and I am familiar with them as the most recent team
>> supplier. Voler also seem to be holding up their market niche pretty
>> well but I am hoping to find some bibs that are a bit better than
>> Voler's best selling style. Voler has a new style that they are testing
>> that seems to be higher quality, only available in black (or custom
>> order).
>>
>> I've got some Giordana on the way and a single pair of the Descente
>> Aero-Exo. I am thinking about ordering a trial of the Pearl Izumi "Team
>> Ultrasensor" but they look pretty ugly in some of the photos, with a
>> white logo panel that comes straight down from the top and then turns
>> sharply towards the sides. The Pearl website shows the same bibs but
>> with a white logo panel that is more typical (going more or less
>> straight from the top). Finally, I have been talking to "Pace" about
>> their custom program that looks excellent by offering higher quality
>> than Voler albeit for a higher cost. I have arranged to try a sample,
>> so by the spring time I guess I'll be an expert on bib shorts.

> I just found Blackbottom eight panel bib shorts for $75
> on the web. They fit great, thick fabric, true four way
> stretch, flat seams, tough seams. I would need to hear
> some very persuasive arguments to ride anything else.

I can relate my Blackbottom experience, but only with tights, in a
perhaps slightly less globally warmed environment, which probably
doesn't apply to many of you:

I've happily spent a lot of miles on Assos/Castelli and the other ripoff
stuff, and eventually tried one each of Blackbottom lycra, and
Blackbottom polypro non-chamois bib-tights from Licktons when I lived a
block away. I see they're currently $54 each there, just about what I
paid 2 yrs and maybe 25k miles ago, and they're in fine shape (along
with the Campy shifters). Of course minus the chamois there's little
that can go wrong. The polypros, combined with mere lightweight
rainpants from a one-man custom-sew operation in Salman, ID foxwear.net
which I HIGHLY recommend for winter clothing (but he doesn't do bibs),
kept me very comfy and reasonably dry at a windy -4F for 2.5 hrs over
thick ice next to the xc skiers in Glacier pk, MT this afternoon. (Now
if I could just do something about the drenched Assos windblock jacket.)
The cutoff from the polypro to the lycra is around 35F. I see the
blackbottom website store doesn't list the polypro bib-tights, and,....
actually, doesn't have any bib-tights under their bib-tight/knicker
category.

And I like my Voler bib shorts/knickers quite a bit. Don't like Pearl:
sometimes cheap jerseys bleed colors in the (sensitive) wash and recolor
other better very expensive cycling clothes, so some of it went in the
trash.

Bill Westphal

Bib tights here.
<http://www.thebikestand.com/blackbottoms.html>

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>> > In article
>> > <[email protected]>
>> > ,

>> > I just found Blackbottom eight panel bib shorts for $75
>> > on the web. They fit great, thick fabric, true four way
>> > stretch, flat seams, tough seams. I would need to hear
>> > some very persuasive arguments to ride anything else.
>> >

>> I can relate my Blackbottom experience, but only with tights, in a
>> perhaps slightly less globally warmed environment, which probably
>> doesn't apply to many of you:
>>
>> I've happily spent a lot of miles on Assos/Castelli and the other ripoff
>> stuff, and eventually tried one each of Blackbottom lycra, and
>> Blackbottom polypro non-chamois bib-tights from Licktons when I lived a
>> block away. I see they're currently $54 each there, just about what I
>> paid 2 yrs and maybe 25k miles ago, and they're in fine shape (along
>> with the Campy shifters). Of course minus the chamois there's little
>> that can go wrong. The polypros, combined with mere lightweight
>> rainpants from a one-man custom-sew operation in Salman, ID foxwear.net
>> which I HIGHLY recommend for winter clothing (but he doesn't do bibs),
>> kept me very comfy and reasonably dry at a windy -4F for 2.5 hrs over
>> thick ice next to the xc skiers in Glacier pk, MT this afternoon. (Now
>> if I could just do something about the drenched Assos windblock jacket.)
>> The cutoff from the polypro to the lycra is around 35F. I see the
>> blackbottom website store doesn't list the polypro bib-tights, and,....
>> actually, doesn't have any bib-tights under their bib-tight/knicker
>> category.
>>
>> And I like my Voler bib shorts/knickers quite a bit. Don't like Pearl:
>> sometimes cheap jerseys bleed colors in the (sensitive) wash and recolor
>> other better very expensive cycling clothes, so some of it went in the
>> trash.

> Bib tights here.
> <http://www.thebikestand.com/blackbottoms.html>
>
> --
> Michael Press

I've had a couple pairs of Boure's bibs for about 3 years. They compare
quite favorably with others I use (DeMarche, Performance house brand, Pearl
Izumi, and even Assos). Good price, too. Get them in the off season, like
now, if you want an even better deal.

http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

Cal
(not associated with Boure in any way, just a happy customer)

me wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[snip]

> I've had a couple pairs of Boure's bibs for about 3 years. They compare
> quite favorably with others I use (DeMarche, Performance house brand, Pearl
> Izumi, and even Assos). Good price, too. Get them in the off season, like
> now, if you want an even better deal.
>
> http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html
>
> Cal
> (not associated with Boure in any way, just a happy customer)

Looks like a great full line of non-logoed stuff, including woolen
jerseys and chamoised winter tights. Outstanding! I'm going to order
some stuff.
Bill Westphal

In article
<[email protected]>,
"me" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I can relate my Blackbottom experience, but only with tights, in a
> >> perhaps slightly less globally warmed environment, which probably
> >> doesn't apply to many of you:
> >>
> >> I've happily spent a lot of miles on Assos/Castelli and the other ripoff
> >> stuff, and eventually tried one each of Blackbottom lycra, and
> >> Blackbottom polypro non-chamois bib-tights from Licktons when I lived a
> >> block away. I see they're currently $54 each there, just about what I
> >> paid 2 yrs and maybe 25k miles ago, and they're in fine shape (along
> >> with the Campy shifters). Of course minus the chamois there's little
> >> that can go wrong. The polypros, combined with mere lightweight
> >> rainpants from a one-man custom-sew operation in Salman, ID foxwear.net
> >> which I HIGHLY recommend for winter clothing (but he doesn't do bibs),
> >> kept me very comfy and reasonably dry at a windy -4F for 2.5 hrs over
> >> thick ice next to the xc skiers in Glacier pk, MT this afternoon. (Now
> >> if I could just do something about the drenched Assos windblock jacket.)
> >> The cutoff from the polypro to the lycra is around 35F. I see the
> >> blackbottom website store doesn't list the polypro bib-tights, and,....
> >> actually, doesn't have any bib-tights under their bib-tight/knicker
> >> category.
> >>
> >> And I like my Voler bib shorts/knickers quite a bit. Don't like Pearl:
> >> sometimes cheap jerseys bleed colors in the (sensitive) wash and recolor
> >> other better very expensive cycling clothes, so some of it went in the
> >> trash.

> > Bib tights here.
> > <http://www.thebikestand.com/blackbottoms.html>

> I've had a couple pairs of Boure's bibs for about 3 years. They compare
> quite favorably with others I use (DeMarche, Performance house brand, Pearl
> Izumi, and even Assos). Good price, too. Get them in the off season, like
> now, if you want an even better deal.
>
> http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

Boure bib knickers are $105-130 compared to $75 for the
eminently worthy Blackbottoms. What do you get for the
$30-55?

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "me" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Bib tights here.
>> > <http://www.thebikestand.com/blackbottoms.html>

>> I've had a couple pairs of Boure's bibs for about 3 years. They
>> compare
>> quite favorably with others I use (DeMarche, Performance house brand,
>> Pearl
>> Izumi, and even Assos). Good price, too. Get them in the off season,
>> like
>> now, if you want an even better deal.
>>
>> http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

> Boure bib knickers are $105-130 compared to $75 for the
> eminently worthy Blackbottoms. What do you get for the
> $30-55?
>
> --
> Michael Press

I have no idea how they'd compare, since I've never owned "Blackbottoms".
Why don't you send me some for free and I'll post my opinion?

Cal

In article
<[email protected]>,
"me" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "me" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> I've had a couple pairs of Boure's bibs for about 3 years. They
> >> compare
> >> quite favorably with others I use (DeMarche, Performance house brand,
> >> Pearl
> >> Izumi, and even Assos). Good price, too. Get them in the off season,
> >> like
> >> now, if you want an even better deal.
> >>
> >> http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

> > Boure bib knickers are $105-130 compared to $75 for the
> > eminently worthy Blackbottoms. What do you get for the
> > $30-55?

> I have no idea how they'd compare, since I've never owned "Blackbottoms".
> Why don't you send me some for free and I'll post my opinion?

I entered this subthread in response to Chris M.
wondering if the sharp upward trend in the price of
cycling apparel is universal or necessary.
<[email protected]>

As for the free shorts, go ask your mother.

--
Michael Press

On Jan 8, 2:55 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I used to buy and wearDescenteapparel, before they stopped making
> > cycling wear. I agree, it was of high quality. I still have and
> > occasionally wear a long sleeved jersey from that time, and a friend of
> > mine wore his shorts until recently (and maybe he still does).I bought aDescenteexploded polyester ski jacket (no I

> do not ski) twenty years ago and it is still intact and
> warm.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Your feedback is important, because I know from experience that they
have always had some "dogs" in their product lines For some reason, I
guess they did not have good design QA. The earlier jerseys (some or
most) were pretty crappy. I also remember that there was an "upgrade"
pair of shorts that I had forgotten until I read your reply. They used
thinner fabric and were not in the same class quality wise, and at
about $120 in the mid 80s, that was creeping in on Assos territory :>(
Still, believe it or not I still have 5 pair that I use (indoors at
home only) that are still functional enough to be among the most
comfortable. My biggest frustration then was that the excellent "basic"
shorts were not available in bibs but the crappy upgraded models were
available with bib straps. I also should say (if I have not already)
that they made the best skin-suit at the time and though it was very
expensive at $300, it was well worth it and still is as good as all but
the very best of today's selections. They were Swiss made, so I don't
know if they were actually made by Assos or possibly a fabric supplier
for Assos. As far as the chamois you mention, the current models are
all newer designed at look really comfortable. I wil take a chance on
the Aero-X, which look like the best option for me that I can actually
find in stock somewhere.

Since I posted the original article, I did score 2 pair of the Sportful
"Tour" bib shorts (the only model I have seen in the US) and every
aspect of the construction is top quality. I can't expect any better or
even imagine how the could be improved The MSRP is $120 and I have seen
them in the Italian Nat'l team World's and Olympic versions and also in
solid black and solid red. They were reviewed by Cyclingnews.com and I
find them to be as close to perfect as possible. The compression is
just right, such that I bought the last of 2 sizes and both fit great
with enough room for the crotch (a common problem these days with the
"Power Lycra" and similar fabrics is the crotch has the same
compression as the thighs, and that is not possible to survive wearing
them. I tried a pair of 10-panel bibs that were really excellent, but
the crotch nearly killed me. Several wash cycles with 30-minute
exercise sessions allowed the fabric to stretch just right everywhere
but the crotch. I really thought they were great aside from that. I
then tried 2 pair of Sportful, and they have all of the best attributes
of old Descent and the 10-panel Cannondale and zero compromises. I am
using 2 sizes and the slightly less compressed thighs of the larger
size are perfect for wearing either alone or with thermal base layer,
and the smaller of the 2 is probably best without a base layer, though
I have not tried.

Pearl Izumi has a new style called "Vertech" that just hit the
retail channels in the last few days and they look really good with a
hi-tech chamois that looks as good as the Sportful and though still and
8-panel design, they are more fitted between the top of the buttocks
and the top of the shorts (with a few extra seams to accomplish that
fit). Some riders have bigger buttocks that can benefit from this fit
and both the Sportful and the PI Vertech use vented fabrics for the bib
straps and all of the shorts above the areas covered by the jersey. I
think that the PI models also have a vent on the bottom hamstring area
and these vented sections are something important to me for the rides I
do, with the weather hitting 100+ degrees for many days through spring
and summer.

That leads to one more issue I want to ask about. I have used vented,
full zippered jerseys with light colored fabrics for these hot months
and the ideal color for me is a medium grey or silver in the middle
with while thigh panels. I have not seen this exact combo, but I plan
to use this for the upcoming team apparel design. I also have several
shorts with white thigh panels, and plenty of solid white jerseys. They
do get worn looking sooner than other colors and I recently noticed
several brands of specific laundry detergent for Lycra and similar
fabrics. It is not cheap and with my schedule (I ride twice a day
several days a week with and never use the same clothes, so there are
lots of wash cycles and anything I can do to help the fabrics last
longer and even better, even the white sections can stay brighter that
would allow me to feel better about spending more per item since they
will last longer. So, if anyone has some tips on washing, and
especially if there are specific soaps that work well, I would
appreciate that a lot.

One last thing is that if anyone has some experience with recent Pearl
Izumi models (the medium priced Microsensor or Ultrasensor with 3D.X
chamois, I would appreciate hearing about those, and how they compare
to others you have used.

I will post again when I have tried the Descente Aero-X with the
"Strata" chamois, and or the Microsensor Vertech to compare to the
Sportful "Tour" model (AFAIK, the only model shipped to the US,
though there are several different colors that make them look very
different, all of the Tour shorts use identical construction and
materials).

Thank you to all.

On 17 Jan 2007 12:37:40 -0800, "Chris M" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[---]

>One last thing is that if anyone has some experience with recent Pearl
>Izumi models (the medium priced Microsensor or Ultrasensor with 3D.X
>chamois, I would appreciate hearing about those, and how they compare
>to others you have used.

I recently bought a pair of PI tights which have a 3D chamois. I find
them to be considerably better than those from other manufacturers
which I use. Same applies to the pair of PI shorts I have, also with
3D chamois.

I had no preconceived ideas about PI products before I bought them,
and was not influenced in any way since by publicity/recommendations
from other cyclists - I just find them to be more comfortable than the
clothing I have from other suppliers.