Describe Your Best L6 Intervals

strader said:
Yesterday I tried L6 intervals again using ALL OUT pacing. On the first effort I set a PB for 1 minute power at 555 watt average. I'm finally in the "good" range of the Coggan power profile chart, and about 30 watts higher than my previous average. :D

On the successive intervals average power fell off considerably: 555 watts, 442, 400, 449, 412, and a final wimper at 376 average watts. Between each effort I was spinning easy (<150 watts) for at least 5 minutes. I planned to do 10 L6 intervals, but called it quits after the last effort which was closer to my VO2max power. Is this reasonable for a L6 workout? Do I just need to train L6 more? I would think I have a good enough base with all the L3/4 I have been doing (ctl=86).
This got me thinking: what if instead of setting aside a day every other week to train L6, I instead do a single 1 minute L6/7 effort two days per week on the days when I do L3/4 training. I would get the same weekly avg volume at L6 and be able to maximize the quality of the L6 workout (target ~550 watt average). L4 would seem easy after a L6/7 effort, but is a single 1 minute effort enough to trigger adaptation?
To train anaerobic capacity I think you ought to back off from doing all-out pacing because it shortens the amount of time you spend riding anaerobically. For example, ride 10 intervals at an even 440W and you will be able to ride your intervals to completion. 10 min (or more) at 440W AP is better than 6 min at 449W AP (your average). I think that first interval PB is what ruined the rest of the workout for you.

Piotr said:
To train anaerobic capacity I think you ought to back off from doing all-out pacing because it shortens the amount of time you spend riding anaerobically. For example, ride 10 intervals at an even 440W and you will be able to ride your intervals to completion. 10 min (or more) at 440W AP is better than 6 min at 449W AP (your average). I think that first interval PB is what ruined the rest of the workout for you.
+1. In a similar vein, the general rule of thumb for many (most?) interval regimes is to shoot for roughly 90% of your best power over that same duration. Obviously, this is just a guide. You probably generated that best power when you are rested and if you are doing the intervals in a less-than-well-rested state, that 90% rule of thumb may be difficult to achieve for the number of intervals you are seeking to do.