Design of integrated brake/shifters - take your pick

the beef

Mar 27, 2006
With the new SRAM Force gruppo coming out, I thought it'd be fun to make a little comparo picture of the three integrated shifter designs. On the left we have Campagnolo Ergopower; Force in the middle, and ol' Shimano STI on the right. Judging by looks only - which of the three designs do you prefer?

briftercomparo.jpg

I love the look of the campy components, but hate the feel of them. So, cosmetically I'd choose campagnolo, and functionally I'd choose shimano.

ToffoIsMe said:
I love the look of the campy components, but hate the feel of them. So, cosmetically I'd choose campagnolo, and functionally I'd choose shimano.

Me too. Everything Campy looks sooooo nice....

Shimano looks a little too technical and a little too "modern", Campy has kept a good feeling of tradition - that's how I feel anyway, about the looks.

But I have used both, and I do prefer the feel of Shimano.

the beef said:
With the new SRAM Force gruppo coming out, I thought it'd be fun to make a little comparo picture of the three integrated shifter designs. On the left we have Campagnolo Ergopower; Force in the middle, and ol' Shimano STI on the right. Judging by looks only - which of the three designs do you prefer?

briftercomparo.jpg
Does one of them include having the gear change cables wrapped under the handlebar tape as per the break cables ?

the beef said:

briftercomparo.jpg
Déjà vu!!

By looks only? Shimano.

mikesbytes said:
Does one of them include having the gear change cables wrapped under the handlebar tape as per the break cables ?
I believe campy has them both go under the grip tape. At least the record group does.

ToffoIsMe said:
I believe campy has them both go under the grip tape. At least the record group does.
I like that look, gives the appearance of better aero, probably makes stuff all difference.

On just looks only, I like the SRAM the most. The platform for the hands looks nearly identical to the Campy. It's the new kid on the block, an unknown quantity. Interestingly although you constrained this thread to just the physical attribute you still get posts that are obviously based on an emotional attachment to a brand.

ditto here. The shifter cable sticking out at right angles to the shifters looks sorta un-ergonomic. Litters a possible clean look. So Campy or SRAM if they have it. Looks only, SRAM.

Campy shifter cables are internal.

Looks is goes to Campagnolo.

Feel when riding goes to Campagnolo.

The Sram does nothing for me look wise. It looks like a poor Campagnolo knock-off, IMHO.

:D