Design on bicycles used in urban environment.

skidata

Oct 17, 2011
Hi there bike rider

I'm doing a dissertation regarding use of bicycles in urban area and how the bicycles is made for parking in racks etc. If you could take 5 minutes and answer these simple questions and email them back to me here or to my email adress below, I would be very thankful! Conclusion of the dissertation will be out in the middle of december 2011.

Alex ([email protected])

INFORMATION

Study title: Researching the design of bicycles and the effect it has on the parking in urban areas.

You are invited to take part in this research study conducted at MSc Product Design at Bournemouth University in UK. To make sure you understand what this involves, please read the following information carefully.

There is a rising need for greener urban environment in cities due to pollution, and the ordinary bicycle is a strong tool to make this happen. The purpose of the study is therefore to collect data that can be analysed and give different points of view to sort out problems and create new possibilities for an urban bicycle design. The reason that you have been invited is the need for a range of different people around the topic. All together there will be around 20 people in the study, including users, developers, shop employees and area planners. The answers that you provide may be as an appendix in the dissertation, but anonymous. The focus is on the private bicycle, and not a city bicycle that can be rent.

Thanks for your time,
Alex

CONSENT FORM

Researcher: Alex
Name of participant:

By returning this paper to the researcher you agree to take part in this study. The participation is voluntary, and you are free to withdraw at any time, without giving reason. You are free to ask questions, and the data gathered from the study will be stored anonymous. Please write answer after/under each question, and return the mail to researcher when done.

QUESTIONS

1.How often are you using your bicycle to get around town?

-And how often are you parking the bicycle at a rack during these trips?

2.Have you experienced any difficulties with parking the bicycle in a daily situation at home/work/leisure- or other activities?

-If you have, can you describe what the problem was?

3.How do you think a fully functional bicycle parking rack would be like?

4.Have you experienced problems to use the last parking lot at a rack?

-What turned out to be the problems?

5.Please describe how a perfect bicycle design for urban environment would be like?

6.In a 10 years’ time, do you think the bicycle design has changed to make the parking more effective? What has been changed?

Originally Posted by skidata .

QUESTIONS

1.How often are you using your bicycle to get around town?

-And how often are you parking the bicycle at a rack during these trips?

2.Have you experienced any difficulties with parking the bicycle in a daily situation at home/work/leisure- or other activities?

-If you have, can you describe what the problem was?

3.How do you think a fully functional bicycle parking rack would be like?

4.Have you experienced problems to use the last parking lot at a rack?

-What turned out to be the problems?

5.Please describe how a perfect bicycle design for urban environment would be like?

6.In a 10 years’ time, do you think the bicycle design has changed to make the parking more effective? What has been changed?
I almost exclusively use my bike to get around. If I don't use the bike, I'll take a bus or walk. I will at times get a ride with a friend. I never park my bike at in a rack.

My bike goes in the store with me, where ever I go. If I know I'm going to someplace that won't allow my bike inside, I'll take the bus, walk, or get a ride from a friend.

The optimal fully functional bike rack for me would be a bike locker that does not allow anyone to see the bike inside.

There is no perfect design. If there were, there would only be one bike.

The bike design is not the limiting factor on making parking more effective, so question 6 is irrelevant to me.