design project

armagreggon

May 1, 2007
Hi, my name's Greg & I'm a final year student at Northumbria University in the UK. For my final design project I am designing a future trike and to help me with my design I have been researching problems with current cycles and how they are used.

If anybody finds problems with any aspect of cycling, general dislikes about bikes, or areas you think can be improved with bikes I would be really gratefull if you could let me know by replying to this thread.

Your input is really appreciated. Greg:)

Any cyclist will tell you that the most unpleasant aspect of bike care is chain and sprocket cleaning and maintenance. One thing that has occurred to me is the use of a belt drive system on a single speed, or a multi speed internal gear hub. Multispeeds with derailleurs rely on the limited side flex and rigidity of a roller chain to get it to shift on to adjacent sprockets. The trade off is chain maintenance, and to some digree weight and smoothness. A belt system could use a light weight blocked aramid drive belt similar to what is used on motorcycles to great effect, and would virtually eliminate maintenace, dirt, lubrication, adjustment etc. provided that you didn't have to shift the belt.