designing a messenger bag! give me suggestions!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by inwood10034, Oct 23, 2007.

1. inwood10034

inwood10034 New Member

I bike nearly every day in New York City for work, school and errands, and have two messenger bags that I generally like a lot. One is a Manhattan Portage and the other a Chrome Kremlin. Hower, each of my bags, as well as every bag that I've looked at or considered, has glaring weaknesses. So I decided to try my hand and see if I can do better! That is where other cyclists come in: if I think I have a marketable idea, then I'll market it. Where better to start than by asking the general public!

VERSATILITY is by far the most important thing. I want to combine the best features of the bags I currently own and have owned in the past. Here's some ideas:

1) I want a large bag that is collapsable.
    2) I want something to add to the rigidity of the bag for carrying books and such, but I want that something to be able to be removed, for example, if one is carrying only clothing.
    3) Any bag should have a buckle like Chrome Bags, but I'd like to be able to switch shoulders, something Chrome doesn't allow for.
    4) The vinyl-lined interior on the Manhattan Portage is wonderful.
    5) I wonder if there could be some removable, snap-in dividers for carrying books, papers, computers, etc.
    6) a zippered closure at the top to make the bag completely waterproof (though I don't want to get rid of the classic "flap" that most messenger bags have

Please give me suggestions. Is there any one things or any combination of things that you would look for in a bag? Are there any bags that I might look at for inspiration? Or anything else you see fit to write?

Thanks All!
    Eliot

Tags:

2. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but it takes a lot of pracitce, a lot of time and a fair bit of money. You need cordura or something similar to make it out of and skill at a sowing machine.

Go ahead and try, but it probably isn't worth it (I commuted with a mess bag for a while, but a backpack is still the nicer option).

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What he said. I used to sew/work at a place that made such things--down sleeping bags, down expedition clothing, climbing harnesses, specialty backpacks--and it's not simple or necessarily close to easy to get the design and construction right. Regular home sewing machines can't sew throught the fabric, and to do it right, you really need a walking foot sewing machine. You can pick one of those up, used, for a paltry $3000 or so.

I, too, used to commute with a messenger bag--a Chrome--but soon relegated the bag to campus only duty. The bag didn't provide nearly enough support or stability for books/lunch/laptop/etc on my 17 mile commute to the University. Messenger bags are great if you hate your neck.

Right now I'm using an Osprey backpack that is muy perfect.

4. ojuice

ojuice New Member

Can you link us to the Osprey backpack? I'm looking into backpacks right now.. Thanks.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

It's an Osprey Focus. Osprey doesn't make it anymore, but it is still available.

Here's a review someone did, and here's one place that has them for sale.

6. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

Not to bust your bubble, but if you want a messanger bag, specialized offers some overpriced nice ones. I don't use a messenger bag though, i use a jansport bookbag if i need to.

7. Wayno

Wayno New Member

Have you had a look at Crumpler messenger bags? They look cool and are very popular with Sydney bike couriers, but I agree with most on this thread and prefer a comfortable back pack.