Designing an exercise bike

Ceemca6

Nov 24, 2013
I am in the process of designing an exercise bike for parents with young children, the handlebars will be attached to a seat in front of the bike which can rock the child back and forth while you cycle. I have been looking up the different kinds of mechanisms but cannot seem to find a great amount of information about them or any diagrams showing exactly how they work. I have started designing the bike on Solidworks but need help with the mechanism. If anyone could give me any advice on the best mechanism to use and how it actually works, this would be an enormous amount of help! Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Not sure I can help a lot but you may be looking for a device that converts a rotating motion (from the wheels) into a rocker arm motion (for the child seat). Try a kind of crankshaft (as used for engines).

Hope it helps!

Manu

like the Kinetic Rock and Roll ?
Actually, you need a fully enclosed unit as a young child could quickly get up and stick his finger anywhere. I keep a water bottle handy to squirt the cat if he comes anywhere near, but he hates the sound and is a pretty smart cat unlike a lot of two year olds.

Wouldn't Mom's sweat drip all over the kid anyway?
How about one of those balls for the kid?

Originally Posted by Ceemca6
the handlebars will be attached to a seat in front of the bike which can rock the child back and forth while you cycle.
Hi, I love the idea but as TShame said, the sweat would be a problem in my case because while standing I would sweat on the child. It should be on the side, ca. 50cm away. Pls post updates if you continue :)