Desperate for blue paint

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mgc, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Mgc

    Mgc Guest

    I have a 2000 Lemond Zurich. I had it precariously leaned before a ride. My dog intervened and
    showed me the error of my ways. Now I am (very) anxious to get some matching paint. It's kind of
    Bugatti like blue. I can't get it from my LBS. I failed to get it from Lemond. How does someone go
    about getting some matching touch up paint for a bike? Is there a paint guru out there that has this
    stuff mixed and ready to go? The damage is on the top tube where it has become an ugly reminder of
    my carelessness.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Try an automotive paint store, Most decent ones have a paint matching service (like at Home Depot,
    only with metal paints instead of latex)

    You might want to re-contact Lemond to see what kind of paint it is. Enamel, lacquer,
    polyurethane, etc.

  3. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    I've always used Testors model paint. "MGC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 2000 Lemond Zurich. I had it precariously leaned before a ride.
    My
    > dog intervened and showed me the error of my ways. Now I am (very) anxious to get some matching
    > paint. It's kind of Bugatti like blue. I can't get it from my LBS. I failed to get it from Lemond.
    > How does someone go about getting some matching touch up paint for a bike? Is there a paint guru
    > out there that has this stuff mixed and ready to go? The damage is on the top tube where it has
    > become an ugly reminder of my carelessness.
    >
    > Mike

  4. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    "MGC" <[email protected]> wrote:

    "How does someone go about getting some matching touch up paint for a bike?"

    My paint experience is limited to motorcycles and cars, however... Many automotive paint stores can
    do a computer scan of the color and come up with a match. They sometimes have trouble with certain
    exotic colors, such as pearlescents and some metallics. I don't know what kind of minimum amount
    they would mix for you.

    Good luck!

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

  5. Go to your local drugstore and look at the nail polish selection. Or as another poster suggested,
    testors paint found at a hobby shop.

    "MGC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 2000 Lemond Zurich. I had it precariously leaned before a ride.
    My
    > dog intervened and showed me the error of my ways. Now I am (very)
    anxious
    > to get some matching paint. It's kind of Bugatti like blue. I can't get
    it
    > from my LBS. I failed to get it from Lemond. How does someone go about getting some matching touch
    > up paint for a bike? Is there a paint guru
    out
    > there that has this stuff mixed and ready to go? The damage is on the top tube where it has become
    > an ugly reminder of my carelessness.
    >
    > Mike

  6. Mgc

    Mgc Guest

    Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll go the auto paint route. I had considered that but was
    afraid I'd need to buy a gallon of paint. I did try the model paint and nail polish route. Nothing
    close though. And as far as Trek/Lemond is concerned, they don't respond to customer support Email,
    and the factory told me to deal through my lbs. The Lemond dealer told me no way, no such thing as
    touch up paint. The Trek dealer showed me the color and offered to buy it for me but never came
    through. Hence the post. Thanks all. Mike "one of the six billion" <[email protected]>