Desperate for Help

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by dudewithasock, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Ok well I'm on my 4th day of practicing the unicycle, and I am having
    virtually no luck.

    I -still- can't ride more than, oh, 1-2 feet before I UPD.

    During those 1-2 feet, I swerve like crazy.

    At least 25% of my attempts at riding WITH my support end up in a UPD.

    I tried just pedaling like crazy like someone suggested to me, and that
    only results in an even quicker UPD.

    My saddle guards are already a huge scratched mess.

    I would think that after 4 days I could do a little better than this,
    but I don't think I've progressed at all since the end of my first day.

    Is this slow progress normal? Should I keep just practicing the way I
    am? Any random tips?

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  2. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    Your progressing about as fast as I did, if that makes you feel a little
    better. :)

    It sounds like your stopping with the pedals vertical. Make sure to
    put virtually ALL of your weight _on_the_seat_!! This way you preserve
    your forward momentum and you can roll through the
    vertical-pedal-position. Also be sure to sit straight up on the seat.
    I think that's basically all you need to remember, though someone will
    most likely tell you to look straight ahead and not at the ground.
    (personally, that never helped me)

    --
    Spudman

    |[/B] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
    *|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
    *|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
    |* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
    *|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  3. Spudman wrote:
    > Your progressing about as fast as I did, if that makes you feel a little
    > better. :)
    >
    > It sounds like your stopping with the pedals vertical. Make sure to
    > put virtually ALL of your weight _on_the_seat_!! This way you preserve
    > your forward momentum and you can roll through the
    > vertical-pedal-position. Also be sure to sit straight up on the seat.
    > I think that's basically all you need to remember, though someone will
    > most likely tell you to look straight ahead and not at the ground.
    > (personally, that never helped me)

    Now that you mention it, I think that may be my biggest problem. I just
    sort of start putting my weight on the pedals and half-standing
    half-sitting without realizing it...maybe if I work on that (and start
    looking straight ahead instead of at the ground), I'll progress a
    little faster.

    And actually, it makes me feel a lot better that you progressed about
    as fast as I am. :D

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  4. Everything aside, practice. You'll get it.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  5. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Wait, so you have been registered here since september but only had a
    uni for 4 days?

    For tips, i would just say keep going, if you are making any progress
    at all you will learn soon enough.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

  6. podzol

    podzol Guest

    This might sound a bit metaphysical, but it helps me, I'm learning to
    wheel walk right now and I feel like a complete beginner all of a
    sudden:

    Breath slowly. Visualize the action (including keeping the wheel going
    round and round. I know, it does sometimes get stuck on part of a
    revolution), eyes ahead and level, feel your center and keep the uni
    underneath it.

    You've probably seen a lot of the hopping and thrashing videos on the
    forum, put that aside for now and think smooooooth. Focus. Balance.

    This might sound contrary to much of what it said here, too. I learned
    to idle before riding. Just back and forth with one hand lightly on a
    fence, then letting go. Once I did that I practiced one rev forwards
    one rev back. Gradually less clinging on the fence then I was off,
    wondering what I should do when I got to the end of the driveway!!

    Don't worry about your seat getting messed up. Better it than you,
    eh!!

    You're doing well.
    Blake

    --
    podzol
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  7. subsonic87

    subsonic87 Guest

    Well, if it makes you feel any better, you're learning way the heck
    faster than I did. I only got to practice on Monday nights (didn't have
    my own uni), and it took me two and a half to really learn how to go
    about 20 revolutions. Then I got my own uni, and practiced insanesly
    for about two weeks until I got it. Just remember the Gregor clan
    motto, -Perseverando-, which means "persevering" in Latin. Practice,
    practice, practice, then practice more. You'll get it. If I can do it,
    anyone can. :rolleyes:

    --
    subsonic87

    Check out one of my latest favorite bands: 'Chagall Guevara'
    (http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/chagall_guevara/) (free downloads).
    Also, check out my company, the coolest up-and-coming woodceilings
    company: '9Wood' (http://www.9wood.com).
    Or don't check 'em out. I understand.
    subsonic87's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11153

  8. Tim Morin

    Tim Morin Guest

    I remember having the same issue when I was learning. Not getting my
    butt on the seat. I remember saying to myself as I would mount:"get up
    on the pedals, sit on the seat, and pedal."

    I've been riding for a couple months now, and I'm still learning new
    things every time I ride. Be patient, and keep at it. It'll come.

    --
    Tim Morin
    Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

  9. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    just like diving... only picture good thoughts... clear your mind of
    failure... and sucess will come

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  10. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Here I am practicing coker idle by my refridgerator with my sock
    puppet!

    And yes, my kid thinks I'm nuts when I ask him to take pictures of my
    nonsense.

    |Filename: Blake withasock.JPG |

    podzol
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  11. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

  12. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    exactly!
    keep at it. I was at it for a total time span of two months, because i
    could never get my hands on my own uni. I borrowed a couple family
    friends' unis, and then got my first one from my aunt, and its seatpost
    was like 3 inches long and it hindered me a lot. Keep at it.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  13. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

  14. harper

    harper Guest

    Many have already said weight on the saddle, look ahead, smooth,
    circular pedal strokes. One important thing is that you learn from
    mistakes. That said, make mistakes. Don't step off when you're about to
    fall, keep going until you fall off. When you start to fall, learn to
    correct. Afterall, when you're riding a unicycle you're constantly
    falling and correcting.

    To make sure your weight is on the saddle, adjust the saddle height
    correctly. When you are sitting on the saddle with your heel on the
    down pedal in its lowest position your knee should be straight. To
    learn, maybe an inch lower will help. Each time before you launch, look
    ahead, remind yourself to settle into the saddle and do it, and remind
    yourself to make smooth pedal strokes. Then ride until you fall.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  15. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:11:03 -0600, dudewithasock wrote:

    >Is this slow progress normal?

    Looks about normal. You can read about learning time of others, and
    even use an Exel spreadsheet to predict your own learning time (before
    you can ride 50 metres). Go to
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm

    >Should I keep just practicing the way I
    >am? Any random tips?

    Hopefully some useful tips for you (especially from the freely
    downloadable booklet "Learning to Unicycle" by Andrew Carter and me),
    on
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  16. GILD

    GILD Guest

    podzol wrote:
    > And yes, my kid thinks I'm nuts when I ask him to take pictures of my
    > nonsense.

    Why do you think they invented the self-timer function on cameras?

    Daytripper63 wrote:
    > NEVER QUIT! Quiters will get NOTHING out of a lifetime

    Very true, untill recently someone on the forum had this Lance Armstrong
    quote in their siglines:

    > Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or
    > a day, ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

    They just paraphrased it to:

    podzol wrote:
    > This might sound a bit metaphysical, but it helps me..
    >
    > Breath slowly.

    And on an even more basic level, just breathe.
    It sounds odd but a lot of people will gulp in a lungfull of air and
    hold it while they attempt a feat of some (real or imagined)
    difficulty.
    Unless you're taking part in a breath-holding competition, there is
    almost no activity in this world where holding a chestfull of breath is
    going to help you. Doing that causes your upper body to be stiff and
    immobile and especially on the unicycle where you need micro-movements
    and -adjustment of your upper body to help with balance, this doesn't
    help.

    Sit on the uni.
    Hold onto your support.
    Take a couple of calming breaths and imagine yourself riding away.
    Focus on sitting on the seat.
    Focus on looking at the horizon or a door on the house across the
    street or a tree in the distance, anything, just make sure you're
    looking up and not at the ground.
    Focus on turning the pedals over smoothly.
    Focus on taking one more breath and when you're about 3/4 the way thru
    breathing it *out*, ride off.

    And don't worry too much about pedalling as fast as you can. Riding a
    unicycle is a very controlled activity. Trying to pedal too fast won't
    really help you.
    Keep it controlled.

    And breathe.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    '\\"freedom is just chaos, with better lighting.\\" entropy'
    (http://tinyurl.com/77lom)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  17. Borges

    Borges Guest

    Don't panic. If you're frustrated with yourself and the uni right now,
    take a break for a day or so and then get back to practicing. The most
    important is not to give up entirely and best way to do that is to have
    fun practicing.

    --
    Borges
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

  18. Borges

    Borges Guest

    Don't panic. If you're frustrated with yourself and the uni right now,
    take a break for a day or so and then get back to practicing. The most
    important is not to give up entirely and best way to do that is to have
    fun practicing.

    --
    Borges
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925